student with physical disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptK7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
P.S I am having trouble finding the university's technical standards

This might be better answered by @Goro

It's a tough situation. There was an incident fairly recently of a deaf student accepted by PNWU, who had his acceptance rescinded due to his disability. I'm not sure what (if any) legal action was taken, but if you are physically unable to perform a physical exam I can see that being an area of concern for the school.

I sincerely wish you the best OP. Hopefully you recover and are able to continue your pursuit.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's a tough situation. There was an incident fairly recently of a deaf student accepted by PNWU, who had his acceptance rescinded due to his disability. I'm not sure what (if any) legal action was taken, but if you are physically unable to perform a physical exam I can see that being an area of concern for the school.

I sincerely wish you the best OP. Hopefully you recover and are able to continue your pursuit.

The school was sued and his acceptance reinstated with accommodations.

http://www.kvewtv.com/article/2014/jul/23/new-details-deaf-student-attend-pnwu-court-order/

To the opening post, disabilities is a very murky issue. I doubt they will rescind your acceptance for this. I would suggest speaking to your college's disability center and the medical school's disability center as well (they usually help people with both physical and learning disabilities, especially with accommodations). This way you get an understanding of how much of an issue it really is and what you need to do.

This is indeed very tough. As others have mentioned, you have to be able to perform to the technical standards of the school. I simply do not know if a the loss of function that the OP described is outside of that. My gut tells me that it is, and you need fine palpatory skills to proficiency in OMM.

But OP, when I was tech at Sloan-Kettering, there was a pediatric nephrologist on staff there who had a withered arm. How withered? Tiny, like a T. rex forearm!

The school was sued and his acceptance reinstated with accommodations.

http://www.kvewtv.com/article/2014/jul/23/new-details-deaf-student-attend-pnwu-court-order/

To the opening post, disabilities is a very murky issue. I doubt they will rescind your acceptance for this. I would suggest speaking to your college's disability center and the medical school's disability center as well (they usually help people with both physical and learning disabilities, especially with accommodations). This way you get an understanding of how much of an issue it really is and what you need to do.

Schools cannot discriminate against students based on physical nor mental disabilities (particularly mental illness), they are breaking the law if they do such a thing.

Here's a generic list:
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/councils/aacom_ecop_technical_standards_2009.pdf

The issue typically hinges on reasonable accommodations - which are school-dependent - and the impact of intermediaries/personal aids on independent judgment in clinical education settings.

PNWU made the news because they screwed up, and generally courts have sided with the schools in ADA lawsuits involving technical standards, e.g. a recent case:
https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/13/13-3299.pdf

Yes, you need to speak to the school - and get everything in writing.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you all for the replies! i finally found the university's technical standards.my prognosis is good and I believe i will eventually make a full recovery and continue to recover over the next year. i believe i could meet the technical standards as i have the full use of my other arm/hand. I will definitely contact the school and speak with them. thank you all!

I've seen multiple medical students and doctors with missing or nonfunctional hands. I've heard of a surgeon missing an entire arm.

If you're missing fine motor function of both hands, then I don't think you would meet the technical standards of most medical schools. As long as you have one, you're usually good-to-go with some minor accommodations.

Disability is a terrible thing, but its good to hear that you are making a full recovery.