Students caught cheating on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pshh aamc rollin in profits? you must be trollin :laugh:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/12/markets-ratings-assnofamericanmedcoll-idUSWNA605220110412

Operating surplus of $12.3 million in 2010. Yeah it looks "grim" for 2011, but that's not surprising given their multiple land and investment ventures. Pfft..does that seem "not-for-profit" to you?

Members don't see this ad.

These guys are getting too much credit. Clearly they stole this idea from Spongebob and Patrick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember my proctor treated me like a criminal because I almost walked into the exam room with 40 cents in change in my pocket that I had forgotten to put in the Prometric locker. I now realize in retrospect that she had the incredible foresight to have been suspicious that one of the coins may have been a special quarter from the U.S. Treasury's limited edition pinhole camera series.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10342
These guys are getting too much credit. Clearly they stole this idea from Spongebob and Patrick.
I know right? ;)

"Big. toe."

how about some of the incredibly insightful comments on the article page

If this person couldn't even pass the MCAT without cheating, how did he expect to become a real doctor?

What's the point in cheating on a test? You're only cheating yourself, and can't live up to standards. Doesn't anyone actually want to be good at something, and learn it thoroughly? I know I do. And if I'm not up to par, I'll try something else. That's what life's all about, no? Seeing what your good at, and accepting your limitations. At least you tried, right?

The MCAT is useless anyway.
It should be disbanded. Good medical schools have gotten rid of it.
It's merely a money making thing now.
I wonder who gets the money ?

ok im done

It amazes me how high tech cheating has gotten. When I took my test, prometric wanded me with a hand held metal detector and made me empty the lint from my pocket, but didn't bother to check to see if I had anything written on my hands or my wrists.

It amazes me how high tech cheating has gotten. When I took my test, prometric wanded me with a hand held metal detector and made me empty the lint from my pocket, but didn't bother to check to see if I had anything written on my hands or my wrists.

They X-rayed us at our testing center and took blood samples...

[I am just kidding hehe]

You are unbelievably racist. Why wouldn't Mr. Ruben also be punished for this? Of course you only point out the minority.

spoken like a true high schooler in pre-allo. a fish out of water. tsk tsk

They X-rayed us at our testing center and took blood samples...

[I am just kidding hehe]

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had to walk through a metal detector and had a wand used. Crazy.

Crap I realized I took the MCAT that same day. Thanks god this thing didn't affect any of the test takers that day

Well, that's two less competition for the Canadians. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
And AAMC Practice Test 12 will be coming out Dec. 2011... (And being sold for $50/test as "the most reliable MCAT Practice Test yet" to recoup their "$200,000")

After reading this story, The first thing that came to mind is what you said in the mcat forum about where they get material for practice tests lol...

The only point they missed and where they effed up was the fact that the mcat tutors werent part of the team. Had they bought them, they probably would have pulled it off :thumbdown:

I remember my proctor treated me like a criminal because I almost walked into the exam room with 40 cents in change in my pocket that I had forgotten to put in the Prometric locker. I now realize in retrospect that she had the incredible foresight to have been suspicious that one of the coins may have been a special quarter from the U.S. Treasury's limited edition pinhole camera series.

OK, that was hilarious.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had to walk through a metal detector and had a wand used. Crazy.
As an exam proctor - occasionally for the MCAT - I did none of these things... no wands, metal detectors, or checking your hands for notes. I did only have about 5 seats at the test location, so when I walked through I would carefully look at what all students were doing. That's about it.

Wow. This is actually pretty creative, to have used the tutors like that ... Not condoning this in any way.

New practice exam coming our way :D

As an exam proctor - occasionally for the MCAT - I did none of these things... no wands, metal detectors, or checking your hands for notes. I did only have about 5 seats at the test location, so when I walked through I would carefully look at what all students were doing. That's about it.

Just a side question - did you get to see the questions that the students were working on? If so, you could have practiced for your MCAT like that!

Makes you wonder about the ones who weren't caught.

Oh please. They're rolling in profits with each cycle especially since they reuse questions and sections. I'm sure the $200k is an exaggeration, too, and it's more of a fine for the test center for being reckless.
The $200k is probably not too far off because this means they won't be able to reuse a single one of those questions, ever. Which means going through the whole process of requesting, reviewing, testing and implementation of new questions. When you're paying multiple people's salaries who are probably each making 60K+ a year, you can burn through $200k pretty quickly.

Didn't see this before. I bet this is more common than we think, because they only turned him in because they didn't know what was going on at first. If you just paid someone off, this could probably happen with no one ever knowing.

Didn't see this before. I bet this is more common than we think, because they only turned him in because they didn't know what was going on at first. If you just paid someone off, this could probably happen with no one ever knowing.

There's only one solution.

Naked MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

Don't doubt this at all. Would be very easy to pay off a small team, mission impossible style. Sounds like something rich kids would do just to beat the test. Could make an interesting movie too.... 45.... The short story of a few kids plotting to undermine the AAMC evilest test...The MCAT ... Rated R and you have to sign a waver stating you won't talk about the movie afterwards...

Wow these guys were like the dumbest cheaters in the world. What's with the cameras and the tutors and the random friends across the country?

Hey everyone. I know this is random, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any relief or advice, for I was reported today by my proctor after my MCAT exam. (Please PLEASE do not read me off the rules and regulations on the AAMC website-I'm aware.) First and foremost, I would like to state that I did not cheat, read, or review any study material during any of the 3 breaks, and was not caught doing any of these illegal acts. At 7:30am, I was reviewing some last minute amino acid information in my car in the test center parking lot. When I realized test time grew closer, I hastily and accidentally grabbed all of my bags, along with my notebook, and ran into the test center. Before registering for my exam, I went to my locker to get my sweatshirt. With the lockers being extremely small, my sweatshirt was stuck, so I pulled out my other belongings, notebook included, and put it on a table in the break room. While taking my sweatshirt out of my locker, I was called in by a proctor to have my photo and finger prints taken and begin the exam. Being flustered since this is naturally a high-stress environment, I rushed to put my bag and lunchbox back in the locker, but never realized that I left the notebook (with my name on the cover) out on the table AND FORGOT IT WAS THERE THE ENTIRE TEST. Not realizing that the notebook was left out, I did not touch the notebook once from the start to the end of the exam during any breaks. I have been studying for the MCAT for 6 months, and would not think twice about "studying" during a short break when there is minimal time to even eat, rehydrate, and use the restroom. At the end of my exam, the proctor took me aside with my notebook in her hand, and stated that she had to report that she found a notebook in the break room with my first and last name on it. She also stated that she and the second proctor did not visually see me reading or touching the notebook during breaks. I do not know at what point during the exam the proctor took my notebook, for I had no idea the notebook was left out in the first place.

Does anyone have any insight on a situation such as this, either personally or through hearsay? I am sick to my stomach, for I have worked so hard studying for this MCAT, and have already applied to 20 schools. This was a complete mistake and misunderstanding, I understand it was a screwup on my part, but I in no way shape or form used any materials during the exam or breaks. I would appreciate any and all thoughts/advice/opinions regarding this. Thanks so much.

I can't sugar coat this; you are ****ed. Your medical career is over.

Hey everyone. I know this is random, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any relief or advice, for I was reported today by my proctor after my MCAT exam. (Please PLEASE do not read me off the rules and regulations on the AAMC website-I'm aware.) First and foremost, I would like to state that I did not cheat, read, or review any study material during any of the 3 breaks, and was not caught doing any of these illegal acts. At 7:30am, I was reviewing some last minute amino acid information in my car in the test center parking lot. When I realized test time grew closer, I hastily and accidentally grabbed all of my bags, along with my notebook, and ran into the test center. Before registering for my exam, I went to my locker to get my sweatshirt. With the lockers being extremely small, my sweatshirt was stuck, so I pulled out my other belongings, notebook included, and put it on a table in the break room. While taking my sweatshirt out of my locker, I was called in by a proctor to have my photo and finger prints taken and begin the exam. Being flustered since this is naturally a high-stress environment, I rushed to put my bag and lunchbox back in the locker, but never realized that I left the notebook (with my name on the cover) out on the table AND FORGOT IT WAS THERE THE ENTIRE TEST. Not realizing that the notebook was left out, I did not touch the notebook once from the start to the end of the exam during any breaks. I have been studying for the MCAT for 6 months, and would not think twice about "studying" during a short break when there is minimal time to even eat, rehydrate, and use the restroom. At the end of my exam, the proctor took me aside with my notebook in her hand, and stated that she had to report that she found a notebook in the break room with my first and last name on it. She also stated that she and the second proctor did not visually see me reading or touching the notebook during breaks. I do not know at what point during the exam the proctor took my notebook, for I had no idea the notebook was left out in the first place.

Does anyone have any insight on a situation such as this, either personally or through hearsay? I am sick to my stomach, for I have worked so hard studying for this MCAT, and have already applied to 20 schools. This was a complete mistake and misunderstanding, I understand it was a screwup on my part, but I in no way shape or form used any materials during the exam or breaks. I would appreciate any and all thoughts/advice/opinions regarding this. Thanks so much.

That's harsh, in all honesty do you really think so? I have read so many worse stories, and students only getting "warnings." I do not see how a misunderstanding that can be proved through the cameras (if they really wanna get technical) can result in me getting banned from ever applying to medical school. Thanks for your honesty though.

You're done. Maybe the Carib will take you, but such a record is an app killer for both MD and DO schools. Test centers, like court houses and airports, are not the sort of places where you screw up the rules and get away lightly. I'm sorry.

When I took the MCAT in July. I heard the administrators on the phone with AAMC (I presume). It was before the exam started and they were discussing how someone was did something with their sleeve, I am not sure. I was curious as to what really happened since it was before the exam. They were noting the time etc.

That's harsh, in all honesty do you really think so? I have read so many worse stories, and students only getting "warnings." I do not see how a misunderstanding that can be proved through the cameras (if they really wanna get technical) can result in me getting banned from ever applying to medical school. Thanks for your honesty though.
Please come back and tell us how things work out.

Reactions: 1 users

Wow. That is extremely unfortunate. I believe you that you did not cheat etc. It just is a very unfortunate set of circumstances. Maybe some med schools will listen to your plight? I'm not optimistic. Honestly, I dont think med school is in the cards now, BUT, just in case there is a small chance, if you have the extra time and money to apply to schools, do it anyways.

The only thing you will lose is time and a couple thousand dollars.

God, I cant imagine. Oh by the way, make sure you explain it on the secondary applications that ask "anything else you want to tell us"

But still dont get your hopes up and I am very very sorry to hear this happened to you. Unfortunately you are also at fault for this, but your intentions were clean as you say. I think thats more important than you being a in a rush and not being responsible with regards to being on time. Maybe some adcoms will think along the same lines?

Now if you had intentionally cheated, I would have simply told you to get out. I am sympathetic of your situation.

Wow. Medical admissions is so dumb.

Reactions: 2 users
Assuming you really did not cheat (if you did, then **** you), I would imagine that they would need more evidence than a closed notebook laying on a coffee table to really be sure someone was cheating on the MCAT. It would really be a pity for someone's life to be ruined over a simple mistake like this. It could have happened to ANYONE; efle, nicknaylor, or myself. It is an extremely high stress environment and I can definitely imagine myself making a mistake like this (and I have never so much as wandered my eyes during any exam in my life). Does that really warrant a person's entire life to be ruined? I sympathize with you OP. Please update us with what happens because I'm really curious to know how AAMC will handle this.

Reactions: 3 users
Assuming you really did not cheat (if you did, then **** you)

If you think about it though, this would be the dumbest way to try to cheat. If someone was actually trying to cheat, they wouldn't have brought a whole notebook along - it's too conspicuous. Also, they DEFINITELY wouldn't bring a notebook with their name on it.

Imagine trying to cheat with a whole notebook anyway. I feel like flipping through it to try to find an answer would be harder/more time consuming than just focusing on the test.

If you think about it though, this would be the dumbest way to try to cheat. If someone was actually trying to cheat, they wouldn't have brought a whole notebook along - it's too conspicuous. Also, they DEFINITELY wouldn't bring a notebook with their name on it.

Imagine trying to cheat with a whole notebook anyway. I feel like flipping through it to try to find an answer would be harder/more time consuming than just focusing on the test.

This is the first post that you have made on SDN that I agree with.

It couldn't hurt to ask if the testing center has film of the break room during the exam, and to ask that if they do, they have someone review it to verify that you didn't even glance at the notebook and that no one else did either.

Best case - they review the film and void your test. Worst case -- well, you know already.

MCAT testing center procedures explicitly prohibit you from studying or reviewing in between sections.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.