Students caught cheating on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I apologize. I was wrong and I admit it. All medical students are the best and the brightest. Whether someone graduates from Harvard, a DO school, or a school in the Caribbean - it says nothing at all about whether or not they are smarter than another person. All medical students are the best and brightest people on the planet.

MD = DO = Carib MD

I hear standardized patients have more lucrative offers at famous medical schools and residency programs than Caribbean MDs.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they are brighter than those that do not get into any medical school, or law school, or graduate school, or PhD program or graduate from undergrad or ever even graduate from high school. Which is a lot of people.

He can, thus, easily state that his school takes the best and brightest because they do. And you're still being rude.
Yes, I agree. I realize now that I made a terrible oversight. See my post above.

MD = DO = Carib MD in terms of best and brightestness

Guys I apologize. I was wrong and I admit it. All medical students are the best and the brightest. Whether someone graduates from Harvard, a DO school, or a school in the Caribbean - it says nothing at all about whether or not they are smarter than another person. All medical students are the best and brightest people on the planet.

MD = DO = Carib MD
No.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep it professional guys... MD vs DO was a tired topic on SDN in 2002 -- let that rest in peace.

And to the individual that was caught with a notebook during the MCAT; damn, that is going to be quite a strike against you. Good luck and hopefully a video review can exonerate you.

Reactions: 2 users

That's all I keep thinking.

Keep it professional guys... MD vs DO was a tired topic on SDN in 2002 -- let that rest in peace.

And to the individual that was caught with a notebook during the MCAT; damn, that is going to be quite a strike against you. Good luck and hopefully a video review can exonerate you.

A rare input from the SDN founder himself! Very pleased :bow::bow:

A rare input from the SDN founder himself! Very pleased :bow::bow:

Not that big of a deal dude. He keeps in contact with the people that he likes. In fact, he just PM'd me today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nvm.

Thats another user to add to the ignore list.

Last edited:
So is panicking prior to a high stakes, career defining exam.

How will OP behave with an acting out psychotic, or someone bleeding out after a MVA?

This is an awful comparison IMO

I know your account is 21 hours old but in case you didn't know Goro is an Adcom member at his school.

lol how will Goro being an adcom member at a school give me any information on how AAMC will handle my specific situation...?

lol how will Goro being an adcom member at a school give me any information on how AAMC will handle my specific situation...?

Well because you came here for help and the adcoms know more than the rest of us. Pretty simple really. GL with your situation.

Maybe I'm not savvy about the tech they were using, but wouldn't this take a while in a time-pressured situation? Especially since the new MCAT only shows one question at a time on the page.

In my post I explained what happened. The notebook was left in the break room by the lockers. I did not touch it for the 7 hour exam. It was found by a proctor and I was reported. The notebook was not in the exam room during the MCAT.

how will Goro being an adcom member at a school give me any information on how AAMC will handle my specific situation...?

Because admission committee members tend to have a substantial amount of expertise in their field which includes things like: AAMC (MCAT, AMCAS, USMLE, etc) and what they like to see in an applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
In my post I explained what happened. The notebook was left in the break room by the lockers. I did not touch it for the 7 hour exam. It was found by a proctor and I was reported. The notebook was not in the exam room during the MCAT.

That is true. It was left in the break room, where you store your things for breaks during the MCAT which is SPECIFICALLY states you cannot do.

This reminds me of the kid earlier this summer who got an IA for cheating on his clicker in a classroom because he had to potty. Because he had to potty, he gave his clicker to his buddy and had the buddy put the answers in for him except for the prof caught him and gave him an F.

And then he wanted to argue in front of the Dean of the school to get the IA removed and the Dean refused saying he knew the ramifications for violating the rules of the professor which are clearly stated, "Don't cheat."

It's not like the rules weren't known long before you took the exam. You knew what to do or not do. You also have a slim chance of stating your case using the video. I hope it works out for you but moreover, I hope you learn from this (and it's not about the MCAT... trust me; the lesson to be learned is > than MCAT day)

We select for students who display grace under pressure, hence my analogy.
Eh I'm pretty sure he knew why you were using that analogy. He just also said that it was awful.

It couldn't hurt to ask if the testing center has film of the break room during the exam, and to ask that if they do, they have someone review it to verify that you didn't even glance at the notebook and that no one else did either.

Best case - they review the film and void your test. Worst case -- well, you know already.

I think they are definitely going to check the cameras, as this is what I have read. I am hopeful that my exam is voided, but staying realistic about the situation.

So is panicking prior to a high stakes, career defining exam.

How will OP behave with an acting out psychotic, or someone bleeding out after a MVA?

I may get a little nervous, and that may be "dumb," but probably behave a little more sympathetic of my patients than you'll ever be. xoxo

@Gandy741 calm down. @Noomm is certainly a d*ck (sorry dude maybe you're a nice person in a different kind of conversation?) but there's plenty of d*cks out there. Nothing to get riled about.

I think he's a platypus, not a duck.

:oops: Oh...

Reactions: 6 users
I think they are definitely going to check the cameras, as this is what I have read. I am hopeful that my exam is voided, but staying realistic about the situation.

To make you feel better, my scratch booklet fell apart at the staples when I took the test, I handed everything in, didn't think anything of it. I got a letter in the mail about a month later saying that the proctor had reported this to the AAMC, they'd reviewed the footage to double check that there wasn't a breach of protocol, and I got my scores, no issues. You might have a different issue, in the sense that you have to prove a negative, but the testing people aren't totally capricious about how they hand down these big deal sentences.

Take a breath, they video everything for a reason. In my case, it worked to my advantage because the reviewers could clearly see that I hadn't done anything wrong. :) It may be the case for you as well.

Is it true that platy's have a poisonous dart thing in their tails?

From AAMC:

Looks like you'll have a lot of chances to fight any charges because it becomes official. If what you said is true, they can look into the security videos and see that you did not access the notes in any part of the exam. Were you ever in the vicinity of the notebook once exam started? Goro may be an adcom member, but honestly all this information strongly contradicts his claim that you're already screwed.

AAMC said:
Investigation Procedures  If the AAMC receives information that any individual has engaged in irregular behavior or any conduct that may compromise the integrity of the MCAT exam (including copyright infringement or violation of the terms of the Examinee Agreement), MCAT officials will investigate the claim and may issue a report of the factual findings of the investigation.

 Any examinee who is the subject of an investigation by the AAMC shall: fully cooperate with the AAMC’s investigation, produce all documents and materials requested by the AAMC, and submit to an in-person interview conducted by or on behalf of the AAMC at the association’s request. Examinees shall truthfully and completely answer all questions posed during investigative interviews conducted by or on behalf of the AAMC. An examinee’s refusal to cooperate with the AAMC’s investigation or presentation of false or misleading information to the AAMC or its representatives in the course of an AAMC investigation shall constitute a serious and material breach of the Examinee Agreement and shall serve as a separate and independent basis for the AAMC to take action against the examinee as described below.

 If a report of the incident is to be issued, the AAMC first notifies the examinee about available options, which may include the opportunity to submit a statement explaining the examinee’s actions, request reconsideration, or appeal the AAMC’s decision.  At its sole discretion, the AAMC may elect to send the report documenting the incident, with any attachments provided by the examinee, to legitimately interested parties, including all persons or agencies to which the examinee has instructed that scores be sent, both presently and in the future.  The AAMC also may elect to cancel an examinee’s test scores when there is reason to believe that the scores are invalid, or that the examinee has engaged in behavior that violates the Examinee Agreement. The AAMC also may elect to suspend an individual’s eligibility to test for a limited period of time or permanently.  The AAMC may, at its sole discretion, file a civil lawsuit against an examinee for material breaches of the Examinee Agreement that cause damage to the AAMC and/or a third party. In addition, the AAMC may, at its sole discretion, refer an examinee to one or more federal, state, or local prosecuting attorneys for criminal investigation and prosecution when it has a reasonable basis to conclude that the examinee may have committed a crime in the course of violating the Examinee Agreement.

I'm not convinced the OP is doomed. It sounds like at this point, the information has only been reported to the AAMC. Sharing the information is at the AAMC's discretion. If there is footage of the room reviewed that shows the notebook was never touched, the story is consistent with a brain fart. This is akin to accidentally leaving a paper ruler in a white coat prior to step 2 CS imo... I think comparing this situation to the poster's ability to react to a level 1 trauma or something is really unfair - even if it was reflective to some extent (which, I'm sure there's a degree of correlation, but it's a reach), would that really be a reason to disqualify the individual from attending med school?

I'm not convinced the OP is doomed.

I'm not either but the attitude is getting "shiftier" as the thread progresses which is never a good thing :(

Geez. Goro's getting the pitchforks today.
Torch-pitchfork.gif

I checked this thread a couple of times earlier today because I knew it was going to blow up... and I am not disappointed! :claps:

Geez. Goro's getting the pitchforks today.
LOL. I joined and posted to receive advice and help from fellow pre-med students who may have been in my position or know someone who has been in my position. Never have I ever experienced such nasty people who hide behind a computer screen and want to slam you down at every opportunity possible. So sad. thanks for the advice to everyone who gave me valuable information!

LOL. I joined and posted to receive advice and help from fellow pre-med students who may have been in my position or know someone who has been in my position. Never have I ever experienced such nasty people who hide behind a computer screen and want to slam you down at every opportunity possible. So sad. thanks for the advice to everyone who gave me valuable information!

I thought my first post here too. Really, I did. Even think I blogged about it. So I didn't come back for a few weeks or a month. Then reread what I wrote and :smack: ... it was not the finger pointing at them that was the issue, it was the three pointing back at me.

You probably had people wanting to help you until your snotty, rude, disparaging comments came whipping out. Then you got the rest of us engaged. And then started attacking us.

That's probably not going to help your cause.

At the "nasty" ... well, I've seen far worse and in my head, it is far worse but because grace and dignity are > than anything else, I'm keeping my thoughts to myself.

I may get a little nervous, and that may be "dumb," but probably behave a little more sympathetic of my patients than you'll ever be. xoxo

Your premed chances are not lost. Fight it as other posters suggested.

Also, worst case scenario, apply to dentistry and forget this ever happened. People saying your chances/career is ruined are hilarious.

my question is how did nomm not?
Eh, being rude doesn't violate the TOS.

From the TOS

"Be courteous and contribute positively. If you’re not contributing to the forums in a positive manner, you may receive a warning or have your account temporarily or permanently closed."

To clarify, Goro wasn't rude at all. He was just terse.

Reactions: 3 users
y'all need to calm down. This thread is so salty :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.