Students PodCasting at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MONKEYBOY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of making PodCasts of audio or video to download free off of iTunes.

Any students doing this independently at your schools?

It seems that when the schools try to do this, they just **** it up and it is not consistent (like everything most schools do-- mediocre and inconsistent).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in dental school yet, I'm applying for the 09-10 cycle. I'm interested in it and have a couple of ideas of my own. If you want, PM me.

We have it at U of M, we were the pilot school. Students technically do it all but it's sponsored by the school (actually apple pays for it all in some promotion, its all a bunch of B.S. in a deal with the school/research for our people in IT, yeah we have Ph.D. IT people, welcome to U of M) I've expressed my opinions on here before, but it's pretty much a waste with no video portion. Ours is audio only. The key factor is you can't speed up anything with plain old podcasts unless you open the file in quicktime etc. so you need to do it on a computer. In the end downloading the file, opening it in quicktime, and listening to it usually turns out a complete waste of your time. Siting around wasting an hour of study time listening to a lecture again wastes a hour of studying. You are better off just emailing the prof a question or getting notes from your buddy that you missed. Taping worked pretty well in some of my Ugrad, but honestly you don't have the time in dental school to mess around with podcasts. Some people do like the service but after problems with it working and the realization that it wasn't that effective most of the people i know stopped using the service by our second year, cost-benefit wise it just wasn't worth our effort. I would recommend that if you do try it out make sure you have video, its impossible to keep up with a slideshow 100 slides long when you are just blindly listening.