Study Abroad while in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLIFTforFOOD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are resources available at my pharmacy school, but they're limited. Can anyone share a program they participated in abroad - DURING pharmacy school? Internship preferable, but I want to see what my options are also.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're doing a DoD rotation at Anzio, Landstuhl, Yokosuka, or one of the DoS/USAID sites, the curriculum overseas for pharmacy does not translate back here unless they are elective (the current standards mandate that the training be exclusively in USP/HP standards). If you want to take a year out, do it before entering the professional program or you basically lose a year. My classmate who did the Yokosuka tour, decide to take the job out there and is the chief there now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I participated in a 6-week study abroad program in Portugal the summer prior to my P3 year. It did not count towards IPPE/APPE credit, but it was a great experience nonetheless. The program is through APhA-ASP in conjunction with the International Pharmaceutical Students’ Federation (IPSF). There are many countries that have IPSF chapters and accept students for exchanges.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
During your APPEs, if your school allots time for elective rotations, there are private companies that will set you up with an elective pharmacy rotation in a Spanish speaking country. The typical setup is you intern in a local pharmacy during the day and take Spanish classes in the evening. If you google around for medical spanish pharmacy student elective rotation you'll be able to find more information.

I did a 6 week program through the International Pharmaceutical Students' Federation/APhA-ASP in a community pharmacy in Taiwan between my P2 and P3 year. I attempted to get IPPE credit but my university said I did not give enough notice (apparently almost 8 months was not enough time) although just after I graduated, they now send students to Zimbabwe, India, Taiwan, etc. for APPE and IPPE credit (elective credit). It was one of the best experiences of my life, and really effected my outlook on pharmacy. Would definitely recommend studying abroad during pharmacy school.

There are resources available at my pharmacy school, but they're limited. Can anyone share a program they participated in abroad - DURING pharmacy school? Internship preferable, but I want to see what my options are also.
Thanks!

The only way I have heard of this happening is during APPIs during your two election rotations. Because these don't have to be under a pharmD and only a medical professional you can do these overseas say at a DM clinic in rural Zambia or wherever you want.