STUDY ABROAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudenkem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
This is my first time using this thread so I'm still getting used to it.

I got my BA in psychology and I'm thinking about getting my masters. I realized that my GPA is pretty low to actually get into any competitive schools so I was wondering whether studying abroad is a good idea. or if anyone has any other suggestions for me. It would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's for the purpose of being more competitive for graduate school, not worth it. Whether or not someone studied abroad had little bearing on our admissions.
I meant go abroad for grad school

Members don't see this ad :)
"Studying abroad" is such a big abstraction that the question is hard to answer. Would you be studying at a large university in Australia? At a small university in Russia? And what's your ultimate goal? To become a doctoral-level licensed professional psychologist in the U.S.? To become an academic? Something else?

"Studying abroad" is such a big abstraction that the question is hard to answer. Would you be studying at a large university in Australia? At a small university in Russia? And what's your ultimate goal? To become a doctoral-level licensed professional psychologist in the U.S.? To become an academic? Something else?

Exactly what you said. I already did a semester abroad in Australia so I was thinking about going to do complete my Masters in clinical psychology at the large University over there.

Exactly what you said. I already did a semester abroad in Australia so I was thinking about going to do complete my Masters in clinical psychology at the large University over there.

If you want to practice in the US, then why create the headache of receiving training outside the US?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it would do much for you. More likely than not you would have to retake every course if you got into a doctoral program afterwards since they would likely not accept international waivers for classes.

I don't think it would do much for you. More likely than not you would have to retake every course if you got into a doctoral program afterwards since they would likely not accept international waivers for classes.
A friend of mine has a PhD in psychology in England. She was registered as a psychologist in England. Psychology Board in Texas reviewed her transcript and basically her courses would not transfer so she was going to need to take courses over. I believe in England they had a pass-fail grading system rather than A, B.. Ect... She was able to get licensed as an LPC in Texas.

Actually, if you were to do a demography review many students from abroad apply to USA programs.

Posted using SDN Mobile

So it is not worth the time?. I figured my chances of getting into a masters program here are pretty slim so instead of doing nothing and wasting time, I figured that trying to complete it somewhere else could be another option. or NOT?

So it is not worth the time?. I figured my chances of getting into a masters program here are pretty slim so instead of doing nothing and wasting time, I figured that trying to complete it somewhere else could be another option. or NOT?
Hmm.. From my experience gaining admissions to MS programs is fairly easy, since this is the direction I took.

A good number of MS psychology programs are in small universities and they don't normally fill their slots. Actually, there are now post bachelor psychology programs that are a year long that focus on gaining extra courses to gain doctoral admissions.

You could go the LPC or LMSW route as these programs are easy to get into, especially the MSW programs.

One thing you might do is to extend your BS degree another year to improve your GPA. I did this as I did poor my first year of college and my GPA was 2.90 so I took some extra courses and got it up to a 3.02.

You could get a second BS degree or take extra courses to improve your GPA.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Hmm.. From my experience gaining admissions to MS programs is fairly easy, since this is the direction I took.

A good number of MS psychology programs are in small universities and they don't normally fill their slots. Actually, there are now post bachelor psychology programs that are a year long that focus on gaining extra courses to gain doctoral admissions.

You could go the LPC or LMSW route as the programs are easy to get into, especially the MSW programs.
Posted using SDN Mobile

Wait do you mean universities abroad or here in the USA?.. Do you have any example of some schools by any chance?

Most MS degree programs in the US are fairly easy to get into with a 3.00 GPA. Doctoral program are competitive unless you apply to some PsyD programs that don't use the GRE. Did you take the GRE yet. I have known some students with low GPA who do well on the GRE.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Most MS degree programs in the US are fairly easy to get into with a 3.00 GPA. Doctoral program are competitive unless you apply to some PsyD programs that don't use the GRE. Did you take the GRE yet. I have known some students with low GPA who do well on the GRE.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I have not taken my GRE's but I am planning on taking it in August. From what I have been reading on this forum and other places, it is pretty difficult to get into clinical psychology MS programs here so thats why I was looking at other programs

I have not taken my GRE's but I am planning on taking it in August. From what I have been reading on this forum and other places, it is pretty difficult to get into clinical psychology MS programs here so thats why I was looking at other programs

Well it depends...what programs are you looking at? In Texas, there are many MS Clinical Psychology programs and they allow for LPA licensure or LSSP licensure. What programs are you looking at. Are you trying to get in this Fall?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Well it depends...what programs are you looking at? In Texas, there are many MS Clinical Psychology programs and they allow for LPA licensure or LSSP licensure. What programs are you looking at. Are you trying to get in this Fall?

Posted using SDN Mobile

I don't think I can get in this fall but I can definitely aim for the spring or next fall if thats possible. I honestly just started looking a few days so I am not familiar with any programs yet.

I don't think I can get in this fall but I can definitely aim for the spring or next fall if thats possible. I honestly just started looking a few days so I am not familiar with any programs yet.

Have you talked to your undergraduate advisor about graduate school? Seems that you might need to get some in person advice.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Have you talked to your undergraduate advisor about graduate school? Seems that you might need to get some in person advice.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Yes, That is what I thought. Im def going to do that. Thank you