Study for CASPer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahed

Tilapia
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a CASPer test scheduled for tomorrow, but I haven't really prepared for it...like...at all. It feels weird to me that I would take a test I haven't prepared for (especially after having just taken the MCAT), but I've read from a bunch of people that there's no way to really prepare for it except to make sure your webcam works and to take the practice test (which I'm going to do tonight).

Am I missing something? Should I postpone? 9 of the schools on my list (including my dream school) ask for a CASPer score.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm scheduled to take mine tomorrow but just my luck my webcam is broke... Might have to delay till July if I can't find a computer to borrow. If it wasn't at 8 pm I could've just went to the library but it'll be closed by then.

depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

Here’s a link to some ethics prep. Skim lightly through these to get a feel for appropriate lines of thought for various medical scenarios. Of course, Casper doesn’t really test on these types of scenarios, but it may be helpful to know how a physician would handle ethical situations.

Other than that, just be prepared to think quickly and type even faster. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The exam's not especially high stakes, but you can def prepare to some extent. At TakeCasper there's a short practice exam that can familiarize you with the format and timing.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much. One of my top choices also uses it, sure, but I still doubt the exam is make-or-break for interviews.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled to take mine tomorrow but just my luck my webcam is broke... Might have to delay till July if I can't find a computer to borrow. If it wasn't at 8 pm I could've just went to the library but it'll be closed by then.

Do not delay! Lots of schools won't look at your application until you complete your Casper

Also taking it tomorrow, also haven't prepared for it. I'm leaving work early to take a practice test before hand but, like others said, it (probably) isn't especially high stakes. A lot of schools have only just started using it so I'd imagine they are still evaluating its validity as a predictive measure of student performance

Do not delay! Lots of schools won't look at your application until you complete your Casper

Only one of my schools require it. And taking it July 8th would mean they'd get my score end of July. Assuming I get my secondary for this one school during the first week of July and turn it in within 2-3 weeks I don't think it'll matter at all. I agree though I'd rather take it today if possible but I want to make sure I do it right especially since there's no telling how well you do.

I did find a laptop I could borrow but it's smaller than what I'm used to and I couldn't type fast enough on the keyboard. I'm already a slow enough typer as is so I'd rather wait and make sure I can at least answer most of the questions. Unless I find a webcam to plug into my own laptop by 8 pm I'll probably have to reschedule.

On that note, does anyone know if it's ok to bullet answers? Or should they be in paragraphs?

Took it a few weeks ago. Preparing won't help. Taking one practice exam will be nice.

Only one of my schools require it. And taking it July 8th would mean they'd get my score end of July. Assuming I get my secondary for this one school during the first week of July and turn it in within 2-3 weeks I don't think it'll matter at all. I agree though I'd rather take it today if possible but I want to make sure I do it right especially since there's no telling how well you do.

I did find a laptop I could borrow but it's smaller than what I'm used to and I couldn't type fast enough on the keyboard. I'm already a slow enough typer as is so I'd rather wait and make sure I can at least answer most of the questions. Unless I find a webcam to plug into my own laptop by 8 pm I'll probably have to reschedule.

On that note, does anyone know if it's ok to bullet answers? Or should they be in paragraphs?
I don't know, but I'd stay on the safe side and use sentences. The sentences don't have to be long or exceptionally well-written either, nor do you have to write long paragraphs lol.

Grammar is not part of the scoring, but it’s not reasonable to expect a person to completely detach themselves from judgements made about someone’s grammar or formatting. ESL takers score worse on average than native speakers. I am sure part of that is a subconscious judgement on the raters’ part. I would stick to complete sentences.

Reactions: 1 users
Grammar is not part of the scoring, but it’s not reasonable to expect a person to completely detach themselves from judgements made about someone’s grammar or formatting. ESL takers score worse on average than native speakers. I am sure part of that is a subconscious judgement on the raters’ part. I would stick to complete sentences.

Good point, I ended up delaying till July 8th so I can make sure I do as best as possible on it. I'd hate to score porely due to just not being able to type fast enough.

Omg I just took Casper and when the first responses came up I was rushing like a mad man and clicked on a couple words (I got Grammarly for essays.) When you click it auto corrects spelling. I wonder If that's cheating? I stopped using it right away and grammar isn't supposed to matter :/
Not sure what to do am I overthinking or do I need to call Casper?

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg I just took Casper and when the first responses came up I was rushing like a mad man and clicked on a couple words (I got Grammarly for essays.) When you click it auto corrects spelling. I wonder If that's cheating? I stopped using it right away and grammar isn't supposed to matter :/
IMO, not cheating. Grammar/spelling isn't considered anyway, so regardless of any hypothesized positive psychological effect with better grammar, it's not technically helping your score.

Finally done, hell yeah. Feeling pretty good about it. I didn't finish every single question, but I had a bare minimum of 2 sentences for each. CASPer won't hold me back anywhere.

Last edited:
I stopped using it like right away, and I cannot find anywhere on the site that mentions anything related to something like that.

Their policy says they don't care about grammar, so you'll be fine! Relax bruh.

Don't want to have worked this hard to be labeled a cheater. Know what I mean?

For anyone preparing for the July 8th test I found this resource a helpful start: https://caspertestprep.coml Didn't have a clue initially only knew about the mattress and ghost of the same name before this application cycle!

Some of my schools require me to take the CASPER online test. Is 8/28 too late to take it? Also, do schools heavily weigh your scores in making their decisions? I am very nervous to take it and ruin my chances. Any helpful resources for practice? Or any additional advice?

Some of my schools require me to take the CASPER online test. Is 8/28 too late to take it? Also, do schools heavily weigh your scores in making their decisions? I am very nervous to take it and ruin my chances. Any helpful resources for practice? Or any additional advice?

Every school is different, you don't really need to practice if you can type fast, otherwise work on your typing speed. Read up on some ethics maybe if you'd like some background and do the practice scenario they have on their site. They grade you on how you justify your answer and not necessarily on the answer you choose from what I've heard. So pick something and justify it well and you should be fine. I wish I could type faster because that was the hardest part about the test for me.

Will schools really not look at your app until your casper is completed?
No, they just want to make sure it's completed. You can receive even an invitation prior to the schools getting your Casper score.