study for mcat or write secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killzoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i'm sort of in a dilemma here. i'm retaking the mcat august 21st, but I've got a bunch of secondaries in my inbox....
i've managed to fill out all the easy ones and have left the ones with long essays. what should be my priority?
should I
1) study for the mcat and wait to perfect these secondaries after the test? will it look bad to send them like a month after receiving them?
or should I
2) work on these secondaries right now and turn them in with "ok" essays while studying at the same time?

thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

hey,

i'm sort of in a dilemma here. i'm retaking the mcat august 21st, but I've got a bunch of secondaries in my inbox....
i've managed to fill out all the easy ones and have left the ones with long essays. what should be my priority?
should I
1) study for the mcat and wait to perfect these secondaries after the test? will it look bad to send them like a month after receiving them?
or should I
2) work on these secondaries right now and turn them in with "ok" essays while studying at the same time?

thanks for the input!

Some schools will specifically want a certain turnaround time (usually 2 weeks) on the secondary. Read the instruction carefully for each school to check this. Other than these, study for the MCAT. Assuming you indicated on your AMCAS that you will be retaking, no one will assess your application until your new MCAT score is available. So there is no harm in working on the secondaries after taking the MCAT - you get 30 days before the score comes out.

I think you should do both. Both things are very, very important. Resign yourself to having a crappy month, and take care of business. You can use the two things as "breaks" from the other. It sounds crazy, but it'll work. You'll do it in med school all the time.