Secondaries Submitted, WAMC as a cancer survivor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mojo.rogo

Reaction score
519 / 3.98 stats. Hello, I have been a lurker for a while. I just wanted honest opinions about my chance with top schools. I am an URM (latino male) and cancer survivor. I wrote about my ordeal and what I learned throughout the process. I have diverse research experience but no publications. I have volunteering experience with underserved communities. I was also treated for my cancer and surgeries at one particular top medical school. I hoped these experiences would help my chances, but I am wondering if my past diagnosis might make schools weary about investing in me. Cancer survivors have a much higher mortality rate and although everything seems fine now (knock on wood), I want to know if adcomms would consider the risks associated with a survivor?

Members don't see this ad.

I’d be surprised if you didn’t get in tbh

Reactions: 1 users
I’d be surprised if you didn’t get in tbh
Thank you for the reassurance! It is pretty scary applying to these schools. I guess there's nothing to do but wait for possible interview invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reassurance! It is pretty scary applying to these schools. I guess there's nothing to do but wait for possible interview invites.

Totally get the feeling but yeah it’s amazing and a blessing you beat cancer. I am rooting for you, you will probably get IIs from some nice T30 schools for sure! (As long as your writing matches ur stats and ur hours are good too)

Reactions: 1 user
... Cancer survivors have a much higher mortality rate and although everything seems fine now (knock on wood), I want to know if adcomms would consider the risks associated with a survivor?
It is inspiring that you have been a survivor. You still need to show you are ready for a stressful career journey and have done the expected clinical and nonclinical experience for most applicants. What is your nonclinical experience?

It is inspiring that you have been a survivor. You still need to show you are ready for a stressful career journey and have done the expected clinical and nonclinical experience for most applicants. What is your nonclinical experience?
On top of clinic experience, I have volunteered with a nonprofit, providing tutoring services for disadvantaged K-12 students. I also mentored for a club preparing URM undergraduate students for graduate opportunities. And I have some research in some of my professors' labs, though no publications or product to show for. My EC's are honestly my weakest point, but I worked part-time every year in school.

Last edited:
On top of clinic experience, I have volunteered with a nonprofit, providing tutoring services for disadvantaged K-12 students. I also mentored for a club preparing URM undergraduate students for graduate opportunities. And I have some research in some of my professors' labs, though no publications or product to show for. My EC's are honestly my weakest point, but I worked part-time every year in school.
Do you have any activities that are not education-related or mentoring that focus on alleviating distress among disadvantage communities?

Do you have any activities that are not education-related or mentoring that focus on alleviating distress among disadvantage communities?
I've had jobs that aren't education related and I mentioned a few in my primary application. I started a small tutoring group for ESL students at my cousin's elementary school, but the hours for this were honestly less than 50 and I didn't include in my primary. Outside of these, I don't have much for your second point. Do you think my lack of ECs is going to hurt me in the post-II process?

I've had jobs that aren't education related and I mentioned a few in my primary application. I started a small tutoring group for ESL students at my cousin's elementary school, but the hours for this were honestly less than 50 and I didn't include in my primary. Outside of these, I don't have much for your second point. Do you think my lack of ECs is going to hurt me in the post-II process?
Will just preface this by stating that I'm not an expert like Mr. Smile. You have a great story from what I've read, but tutoring is usually regarded as its own category rather than non-clinical volunteering. My understanding is that a lack of volunteering with underserved communities could potentially weaken your app at schools that value service as part of their mission. That being said, if your work experience is with those communities, I think that could help make up for it.

Will just preface this by stating that I'm not an expert like Mr. Smile. You have a great story from what I've read, but tutoring is usually regarded as its own category rather than non-clinical volunteering. My understanding is that a lack of volunteering with underserved communities could potentially weaken your app at schools that value service as part of their mission. That being said, if your work experience is with those communities, I think that could help make up for it.
It was tutoring for kids with cancer or dealing with health crises in the family. And my clinical experience is at a nonprofit clinic that serves patients without any insurance. I was also paid to tutor, with a program that provides services to first-gen or historically disadvantaged students at my public university. Do you think these have some strong aspects to them or still rather weak for my app?

The key part of the definition of service orientation is alleviating others distress. Yes, we want people who are comfortable working with those in marginalized communities, but you are supposed to do that in clinical settings. So many applicants do tutoring for underserved students that it is too common to make your app stand out. You may get attention and an interview because of your journey traveled, but I have seen many applicants fall short of an offer when these aspects of service are not addressed. What you do matters as the people who benefit, but in a pool where everyone is doing work with underserved communities, what you do often separates average candidates from those who fit mission better.

The key part of the definition of service orientation is alleviating others distress. Yes, we want people who are comfortable working with those in marginalized communities, but you are supposed to do that in clinical settings. So many applicants do tutoring for underserved students that it is too common to make your app stand out. You may get attention and an interview because of your journey traveled, but I have seen many applicants fall short of an offer when these aspects of service are not addressed. What you do matters as the people who benefit, but in a pool where everyone is doing work with underserved communities, what you do often separates average candidates from those who fit mission better.
I see what you mean and thank you for clarifying. It is honestly weird when I talk about marginalized communities seeing that I come from one. I guess it’s up in the air now and we’ll see how it goes. Thank you for all the help :)

You check the boxes. You also add diversity, especially if you speak Spanish. And you allude to potentially having faced socioeconomic struggle...if you were financially disadvantaged, write about it. In your adversity/diversity essays, maybe in your personal statement. As you are now...I'd say you're pack fodder at top-20 schools and strong everywhere else. Good luck.

You check the boxes. You also add diversity, especially if you speak Spanish. And you allude to potentially having faced socioeconomic struggle...if you were financially disadvantaged, write about it. In your adversity/diversity essays, maybe in your personal statement. As you are now...I'd say you're pack fodder at top-20 schools and strong everywhere else. Good luck.

what is pack fodder?

Like an average applicant to T20. I don't mean that in any rude or offensive way btw.
Thank you dracotarg for asking, i was a bit confused myself. I completely agree with you pablo213. I honestly figured myself (especially with some mediocre stats and ECs) as a below average applicant at t20s. We’ll have to see. You’ve been a lot of help and you’ve really helped put my app into context through an adcom’s view. I’ll try to keep the thread updated with any results.

• Love