Study help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolookpass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ended up getting a B+ in Biology I and I honestly feel as if I was on the brink of an A- which I would have been ecstatic about. I was juggling a 18 credit course load and I guess the whole first semester of college was a culture shock. I did study, but I feel as if I'm not studying effectively, since HS and college are completely different.

Any tips, I want to raise that 3.3 in Bio to a 3.7 or 4.0. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

here i used this to "teach" myself how to study, since i never studied in hs:
http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~rapaport/howtostudy.html
i loved the comics its uses

also; lifehacker has an amazing article on note taking:
http://lifehacker.com/5611648/diy-ultimate-note+taking-notebook

The studying article is good. But, proper note taking is ridiculously expensive. I can't afford to take good notes. 20$ paper? I got a CASE of paper for 22$.

Then you need to add lines? Cut it with a $45 cutter? Have it professionally bound?

Members don't see this ad :)
The studying article is good. But, proper note taking is ridiculously expensive. I can't afford to take good notes. 20$ paper? I got a CASE of paper for 22$.

Then you need to add lines? Cut it with a $45 cutter? Have it professionally bound?

that was the wrong article, stupid google... :D

no they had a really good article on how to take notes, its like an elaboration of that picture they had of formating the note book and the Cornell note taking method, which is definitely useful for hard science classes IMO

Thanks Political. I read the how to study article and picked up a few pointer. What were the things you did from that article that helped, since obviously not every thing stated is beneficial to certain people. Any specific parts of that article that I should really follow?

how do you raise a 3.3 to a 4.0?

if i could do it all again i would have spaced out my science classes better. if you can afford it, take 16 credits or fewer from now on, take no more than 2 difficult science courses per semester and the rest gen ed credits. also, frequent ratemyprofessor.

Take notes on blank paper without lines. Lines are a distraction and take away "processing power" from the brain by having to process them. When you study you'll only be taking in your notes. Use color for notes, and make sure that the use of colors follows some sort of logic. One color for main ideas, one color for supporting ideas, one color for sub-points, etc. There's studies to back these ideas up but I'm to lazy to look them up. :D

Oh yeah, you'll never have a 4.0. Maybe a 3.99, but not a 4.0. The minute you get an A- it's gone.

I'd also recommend getting an audio recorder. It was the best investment I've ever made. The Olympus DS-30 is good enough and shouldn't be over 100$. A few weeks before every exam, listen over every single lecture and you notice where the professor emphasized. I don't know how many times the professor hints that something will definitely be on the exam but I miss it the first time around. These are easy 10 points here and there and they make the difference between an easy A and a struggling B.

^100 is steep. I don't feel that lines bother me too much, colors can get distracting to me though.

Anything else you guys? I liked the article and it helped, but there was so much in it so I don't know exactly what to take from it.

Seriously, nolookpass? You got a B+ and you're looking for study help? You did well! Calm down. Really. And moreover, we can't help you unless you tell us more about your study habits!

In case other people are looking at this for tips, here are some general ones that have helped me:
Study in lots of places. There's a NYTimes article about this; it's about creating lots of mental scaffolding, because your brain ties what you're studying to where you're studying it.

Look closely over your graded tests and essays, even if you did very well, and especially if you did very poorly (as much as it may hurt to look). You want to find out exactly where you went wrong and look for trends. Do you do poorly in multiple choice? Why? What are your strategies? Did you change them for another test? Did you do better or worse with new strategies?

Go to office hours and get to know your professors and your TAs. If you force yourself to go, you'll force yourself to prepare to go. You don't want to look dumb in front of your professor, so you'll study hard, clarify your gaps in understanding, have questions to expand your studies. I know this is such a cliche tip, but really, do it. Plug in all of the office hours into iCal and plan to go.

Like the above response said, it seems you're doing well with studying already. First semester is always a learning semester. I was overconfident with bio coming in and never studied much in HS so I got a C in Bio 1. Med schools know that the beginning can be rough, but as long as you recover, it'll be ok. So don't fret too much about the B+.

As far as tips, at the beginning of my post-bacc program, we were given a test to see how we study best. You should take all the tips given here and on other sites and test them out. It's really important to know yourself and how YOU study best. I find it really helpful to listen to recorded lectures. I'll listen to the prof talk for a little while, pause, and then paraphrase what he said (or write down every detail) on my computer. That way I can be sure I didn't miss anything he said in class. Listening is my best way to learn. My friend learns by writing her notes over and over again. The first time, she'll copy everything down. The second time, she'll paraphrase a bit...3rd time, paraphrase a bit more and so on until she feels she has her material down. Another friend has to draw everything out. Diagrams and charts help her more than words.

Also, try exercising right before having a big study session. It really clears the mind, and I've noticed it boosted what I learned by a LOT. And whenever you have to study for long periods of time, either exercise or do something else periodically to kind of reboot your brain. Good luck!

i strive to change it. I used to not study at all then studied maybe a few hours for a test. Now, I'm actually putting forth effort and consistently studying. Individualize it but I just make sure that I actually pay attention in class and then review it once before the day is through. I don't ever let the day finish without understanding that day's stuff/knowing what I have to. for example, if that day's lecture was about step 1 of glycolysis, I would for sure know the names and steps and 2 ATP --> 2 ADP. i would look at the structures just to help understand the synthesis but i'd save the actual memorizing til exam week. i've already seen it a few times so it goes by pretty fast.

about those "how you study" tests though, I normally get different things because I always can tell which personality/way the question alludes and take forever so I end up just christmas treeing. is that the only test they give you though?

Members don't see this ad :)
about those "how you study" tests though, I normally get different things because I always can tell which personality/way the question alludes and take forever so I end up just christmas treeing. is that the only test they give you though?

Yeah it was just some random test they gave during orientation I think. I completely understand about being able to tell which way the questions allude. For the most part, I think the results were pretty accurate for my friends and me. The main message the admin was just trying to give us was "figure out your learning style in the beginning and just stick with it". Takes a bit of trial and error though

I usually study about 2-3 days before the test by reading the materials and understanding them. Then about 1 day before, I would start memorizing(if needed) and do practice problems.

Study even before this if you can for material heavy classes. For my biochem class this past semester, I even started reviewing information, memorizing, watching lectures at least a week to a week and a half before the test. Of course, biochem is probably the most material heavy class you will get in undergrad, but still find what works for you in terms of studying.

Study in increments and manage your time wisely. I usually study about 2-3 days before the test by reading the materials and understanding them. Then about 1 day before, I would start memorizing(if needed) and do practice problems.

That is not studying in increments. That is cramming 2.0. Yes, it's not the night before the test, but in material-intensive classes like OChem and Biochem, 2 to 3 days is not enough for many people.

Study well in advance. I used to get together with a study group a week before tests. And I would usually start studying individually before that (because as a side note, if you study in groups, everyone has to study in advance to be effective, most people fail to realize that).

Certainly, I would up my study load within days of the tests, but starting to do some reviewing a week or so in advance is the way to go.

And back to the OP.

Along with studying in advance, try studying in groups. Do you do that?

A lot of people don't like groups. At times, it does feel like you're not using the time efficiently. And I admit, you don't get through as much material. However if done right, you get a much deeper understanding when you explain topics to others or when several different people explain topics to you. Sometimes, people just need things explained a different way to understand it.

Find a good study group. People you trust to do the work. It is vital that everyone studies individually and comes to the group prepared to discuss the topics and do practice problems as a group.

If you do it right, you will find how effective group work can be. It was key for my grades in science courses.

I didn't think I would have a problem with an 18 credit load, but I guess taking Gen Chem and Gen Bio was something I wasn't yet ready to do. I did get a B+ and I know it's not terrible, but deep down inside I know i was on the brink of that A- :laugh:

I guess what I had trouble with was spacing. Reading the chapter before lecture so I could follow the lecture instead of constantly wondering what exactly the professor was saying, etc. The problem with me is that in order for me to read a chapter in the textbook and understand it, I must take notes while reading. This makes reading the chapter take a very long time. What did you guys do before lecture? Skim/Just read the chapter or actually take notes before going into the lecture.

I didn't think I would have a problem with an 18 credit load, but I guess taking Gen Chem and Gen Bio was something I wasn't yet ready to do. I did get a B+ and I know it's not terrible, but deep down inside I know i was on the brink of that A- :laugh:

I guess what I had trouble with was spacing. Reading the chapter before lecture so I could follow the lecture instead of constantly wondering what exactly the professor was saying, etc. The problem with me is that in order for me to read a chapter in the textbook and understand it, I must take notes while reading. This makes reading the chapter take a very long time. What did you guys do before lecture? Skim/Just read the chapter or actually take notes before going into the lecture.
My professors outline all the topics we definitely need to learn in the syllabus. So I usually read over the sections that I know will contain something we will be tested on, and sometimes the entire chapter if I have time. When I get home I watch supplemental material on textbook website. You may think it's a waste, but the videos and practice tests are really effective at solidifying concepts.

I take notes on the computer and I have the e-book version of my text. When I find something I need to know I copy and paste it into a word document and reformat it into a way that I can understand it better. I print my notes and take them to class and fill in all the little stuff we need to know.

I don't think people should be about learning new information. It should be about refining the information you learned on your own.

I know it may differ from school to school, but at my school, reading the book carefully and taking notes was a waste of time in science classes.

Sure, I would skim the chapter, and I would read in more detail if I had trouble understanding a concept. But, the professors were usually good at emphasizing what they really wanted you to know, and science textbooks tend to go into much more detail than is necessary.

Maybe that was my experience, but it seems pretty common. Many med students say the same thing. Maybe try and figure out how to use the book more effectively. It frees up a lot of time if you do.

Your school may differ on this. And yes, occasionally they would throw details from the book in an exam. But, it was always one or two questions that weren't worth a lot of points.

Maybe that's another problem. Bio is very conceptual. Sure, there are a lot of details, but if you don't need to know every single little detail to to get an A in the class.

I attend NYU and I feel as if it is crucial to read the textbook for Bio especially. Maybe its the way its taught here, but I feel like no matter how much you read and pay attention, the test is still unbelievably confusing. Reading makes it less confusing though

I attend NYU and I feel as if it is crucial to read the textbook for Bio especially. Maybe its the way its taught here, but I feel like no matter how much you read and pay attention, the test is still unbelievably confusing. Reading makes it less confusing though

Well shucks.

At my school, we have very concept-based classes, especially for Bio. Professors are pretty good letting you know what you need and don't need to know.

I hope you get some more practical advice.

Thanks for all your help. From most of your responses, the key is spacing everything out and constantly reviewing before and after lectures.

I didn't really "space" things out so I know what to do to get better at that, but the problem of spacing things and keeping up with readings comes up when i have other assignments due.

For example I have an essay due on a Thursday which causes me to focus/take up the majority of my time on that essay for the entire week. Or I have a midterm in Chemistry causing me to lose track of my readings for Biology.

How did you guys balance and study in increments when there was a bigger assignment/test on a certain week?

^Sorry for the bump, but the previous question is something I would love to have some advice on.

How did you guys balance and study in increments when there was a bigger assignment/test on a certain week?

Study in increments and do the large assignment in small pieces. It isn't that hard, you just have to learn time management.