study orgo and bio on your own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkitty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!! I just finished gen. chem and phys this term. Now I'm thinking of studying orgo and bio on my own this summer and then take the August MCAT. Is this a realistic idea? Anybody done this before?? Please share your success stories!! Any advice will be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is certainly a possibility...just depends on how well you will follow through.

I would recommend that you get your hands on some practice exams in addition to your subject studying. You need to get used to MCAT-type questions and the timing of the exam.

You can study it on your own, just make sure you follow through. Also the book "Pushing Electrons" third edition will be helpful.

It is possible. Anything is possible. But I think you would have to be quite exceptional as teaching yourself all of Bio and all of Chem and preparing for the MCAT without a class structure would, I think, take an enormous amount of self-discipline.

I tend to find that the structure of a class not only helps my discipline but also helps direct my learning. It is the fear of exams that makes me really learn things, and the experience gained sitting those exams (which are never quite the same as questions in the back of the book) which helps me understand whether I *really* know the material or not.

You may be able to do this but I know that for me such an approach would be a disaster, especially when I had no one to help me when I did not understand a topic. Sitting listening to a lecture is much less "effort" than plowing through a book on your own day after day....

Good luck either way!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why take the risk? Why add that much more stress to the summer? Just take the summer O CHEM classes. You'll be much happier with the results.

Hey guys/gals! Thanks for your advice!! That was very helpful!

I'm pretty good at teaching myself stuff, but I really don't have good self-discipline! e.g., I've been watching every NBA playoff game recently, even though I'm in final exam period... Thanks Boy Wonder for this important point!!