Study step 1 summer before MS2? (16 weeks off...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a huge chunk of time off after MS1....16 weeks.

I've also already finished my clinical research already...so don't need to do that.

Our school only gives us 2-3 weeks to study for step 1 after MS2....so I figure I need to get a jump before MS2. We also have very avg board scores and they do not teach towards it at all...so I'm worried.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this question and the response I was given is to relax and enjoy your summer. It's the last one of your life and there is plenty of time to burn yourself out and study for Step I later.

I plan on enjoying the summer/completing Army BOLC and annotating First Aid starting in the fall. Studying a year in advance seems futile to me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've also already finished my clinical research already...so don't need to do that.

Our school only gives us 2-3 weeks to study for step 1 after MS2....so I figure I need to get a jump before MS2. We also have very avg board scores and they do not teach towards it at all...so I'm worried.
Thanks

thing is...the majority of STEP I consist of material from MS2. Even questions that rely on your MS1 knowledge manage to tie into MS2 knowledge. So you'd be doing a lot of studying of material you've never even seen once before...doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Plus u should chillax.

Thanks

Do something fun. MS2 and MS3 can be brutal at times so you enjoy the time while you can.

If you must do something I would review weak areas from M1 and solidify stuff like physio in prep for 2nd year - with that really long summer you will forget some stuff.

thing is...the majority of STEP I consist of material from MS2. Even questions that rely on your MS1 knowledge manage to tie into MS2 knowledge. So you'd be doing a lot of studying of material you've never even seen once before...doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Plus u should chillax.

This depends entirely on your curriculum. At systems-based schools, this isn't true.

Two words: useless and crazy.
Agreed. :thumbup: I was wondering the same thing before MS2 but so glad I didn't. It would have been worthless (since I knew jack) and I enjoyed my summer instead. Then again, I haven't taken the darn test yet, so my opinion shouldn't matter much.

Thanks

I would be SHOCKED if anyone else agreed with me on this one but go ahead and study if you want to. The only thing I would recommend is MEMORIZING physiology to the best of your ability. The other classes are pretty useless minus MAYBE getting familiar with your first aid Biochem. Don't read your syllabus! Pick up the Physio BRS by Costanzo. Read it cover to cover and get comfortable with the layout of the book. You can use this info not only for STEP 1 but also for your courses as an M2.

This is what I did with my last summer and I still had time for A LOT of fun. Just a few hours/day really adds up after a couple weeks. It helped me immensely for my courses and boards. Result...255, if you wanna stay competitive then study early and long. Good luck :luck:

Agreed. :thumbup: I was wondering the same thing before MS2 but so glad I didn't. It would have been worthless (since I knew jack) and I enjoyed my summer instead. Then again, I haven't taken the darn test yet, so my opinion shouldn't matter much.

I'm studying now and I can tell you that putting in some hours >1 year ago wouldn't have helped more than a good vacation.

I would be SHOCKED if anyone else agreed with me on this one but go ahead and study if you want to. The only thing I would recommend is MEMORIZING physiology to the best of your ability. The other classes are pretty useless minus MAYBE getting familiar with your first aid Biochem. Don't read your syllabus! Pick up the Physio BRS by Costanzo. Read it cover to cover and get comfortable with the layout of the book. You can use this info not only for STEP 1 but also for your courses as an M2.

This is what I did with my last summer and I still had time for A LOT of fun. Just a few hours/day really adds up after a couple weeks. It helped me immensely for my courses and boards. Result...255, if you wanna stay competitive then study early and long. Good luck :luck:

Glad it worked out for you but I have to disagree here as not everyone is the same.

I think it's excessive to study for Step 1 so early. I think 6 months is more than enough time to do well.

I also don't think BRS physio is a must read either, it's all about personal preference/strength in physio (I never touched it)

I do agree that it can be helpful to go over weak areas before M2 especially with a long break like the OP's. I think the studying should be very light and geared toward correcting any deficiencies from M1 (specifically ones that are relevant to M2) w/o even thinking about Step 1. I wish I would have strengthen my histo knowledge before Path but I was able to adjust and do fine.

OP, I wouldn't touch a book for the first 13 or 14 weeks and then review whatever you feel like you need to the last few weeks. And don't think about Step 1!

I know just as many people that "studied" during the summer before that did very well as those who waited till second semester of 2nd year to start reviewing a bit. I suspect one is more likely to attribute their high score, if they got one, to their summer studying even if it wasn't a true benefit. Odds are that person would've done very well either way.

I've studied more than most of my classmates and earlier but I truly don't feel I have a significant edge when it comes to step 1. I just do it because I hate dead time and feel like I should always be doing something.

I'm not sure I would recommend studying over the summer (but geez... 16 weeks off??? we get less than half that...), but I would recommend studying for step 1 when classes start up again since you don't get much time to study after 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: I'm in the same boat as you, looong ass summer.

With some free time inbetween hopefully research and a job, I'm GOING TO STUDY for step1.

Gonna solidify some physio,and maybe some anat/biochem/histo.

I've also taken pharm in my graduate work so I'm going to review that. I also "got" the goljan pathology lectures, will probably listen to them.

Thanks

Two words: useless and crazy.

This. Most of M1 is lower-yield for Step for most schools' curricula, and I'm skeptical at best as far as just how much you'll truly retain by lazily reading over it a year ahead of time.

IMHO, your vacation is better spent by lining up empty glasses at your favorite bar with some friends.

With some free time inbetween hopefully research and a job, I'm GOING TO STUDY for step1.

I've also taken pharm in my graduate work so I'm going to review that. I also "got" the goljan pathology lectures, will probably listen to them.

Enjoy.

OP: I'm in the same boat as you, looong ass summer.

It is school dependent but I wouldn't waste time with biochem and anatomy so earlier. Those are crammable subjects that are not used during M2 so it's hard to retain. Physio and to a lesser extent histo can be helpful though

It is school dependent but I wouldn't waste time with biochem and anatomy so earlier. Those are crammable subjects that are not used during M2 so it's hard to retain. Physio and to a lesser extent histo can be helpful though

Even the M2's in our program, who don't have a systems-based curriculum, say that anatomy was helpful and it was really good to learn it so well the first time.

So much of step 1 is pure memorization that I think it's low yield to study too early (or for too long). No matter how much you study the kreb's cycle and ETC now, you will have to memorize it again next summer in the runup to Step 1. But if you really want to do some light studying, go for it. Just make sure and have some fun too.

Being a fellow bodybuilder like yourself, I will take your advice. 255 and jacked? Good job dave man!

And keep in mind I'm taking 2 short vacations this summer, and I just got back from Maui...so I'm having a ton of fun in med school.

Balance is so important..

So much of step 1 is pure memorization that I think it's low yield to study too early (or for too long). No matter how much you study the kreb's cycle and ETC now, you will have to memorize it again next summer in the runup to Step 1. But if you really want to do some light studying, go for it. Just make sure and have some fun too.

I'm just wondering: Is the benefit of "having fun" cumulative? Sometimes I have fun and regret the waste of time when real stress comes. Maybe it's different for everyone.
I think if studying now helps with your confidence to do well (not just for Step 1 but for your life long medical career) then I personally recommend it.

I wouldn't do anything. I had 12 weeks off for summer between m1 and m2 year. I did not study at all, and did 10 weeks of PAID research M-F for like 5-6 hours a day. Made my money to spend for fun (and save for use later), got to pad my application with reserach experience, and most importantly, I avoided burn out. I studied super hard M2 year to the point of mental and physical (my butt hurt like heck from sitting all the freakin time) and came up with a 250... I know, mediocre on SDN, but still not bad.

But if you really want to, read BRS physio and look over FA info from first year. Maybe even dive into the first few chapter of RR pathology. All I can think after typing that is, "What a waste of time that would be." But you do whatever floats your boat. Best of luck.

Edit: Just read more of your post. Why the heck does your school give you 16 weeks off between m1 and m2, and only give you 2-3 weeks off for Step 1 study period? Why not give you guys a 12-14 week summer and a 4-5 weeks of Step 1 time.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering: Is the benefit of "having fun" cumulative? Sometimes I have fun and regret the waste of time when real stress comes. Maybe it's different for everyone.
I think if studying now helps with your confidence to do well (not just for Step 1 but for your life long medical career) then I personally recommend it.

You are going to study balls to the wall most of 2nd year... you will likely gain little from studying in the summer, and get burnt out sooner. M2 burn out is real. Gotta combat burnout by not setting yourself up for it.

Wait until second year and your opinion will change drastically.

There will come a point when you will feel incredibly unprepared yet you just want the test day to come and put you out of your misery.

Wait until second year and your opinion will change drastically.

There will come a point when you will feel incredibly unprepared yet you just want the test day to come and put you out of your misery.

THIS. No matter how much you study you will never know everything and there will always be something crazy on the test you've never seen before.

Thankfully I was just at the point of burnout but had not fully reached it before my test.

I wouldn't do anything. I had 12 weeks off for summer between m1 and m2 year. I did not study at all, and did 10 weeks of PAID research M-F for like 5-6 hours a day. Made my money to spend for fun (and save for use later), got to pad my application with reserach experience, and most importantly, I avoided burn out. I studied super hard M2 year to the point of mental and physical (my butt hurt like heck from sitting all the freakin time) and came up with a 250... I know, mediocre on SDN, but still not bad.

But if you really want to, read BRS physio and look over FA info from first year. Maybe even dive into the first few chapter of RR pathology. All I can think after typing that is, "What a waste of time that would be." But you do whatever floats your boat. Best of luck.

Edit: Just read more of your post. Why the heck does your school give you 16 weeks off between m1 and m2, and only give you 2-3 weeks off for Step 1 study period? Why not give you guys a 12-14 week summer and a 4-5 weeks of Step 1 time.

Lol @ not bad. SDN makes us crazy.

I don't have a 280 and only have 6 pubs. Will I match? :laugh: