Study time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well... I just got accepted into a school and am already freaking about not doing well in classes. Some of the posts on this board really scared me! I was just wondering... how many hours per week do you guys study in med school (not counting time in class)? Per weekday? Per weekend? Are classes very important? Should I just spend that time reading? I especially want to hear from TUCOM students but if anyone else has any advice, I would be really grateful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

darly...Congrats on getting accepted-one hurdle accomplished!! At this point, just try & enjoy as much of the free time as you can.

When you begin your medical school career in Aug, you will feel overwhelmed by everything they throw at you, but you just have to take it all in stride. It's definitely DO-able to tackle med school & still have time for yourself. Actually, you HAVE TO try & make some time for yourself or else you will crack.

After being in class 8-5 everyday, I would say I would study about a good 3hrs a night. The key is to try & stay on top of things presented each day. Most of the time I find a lot of the lectures not worthwhile for me, so I would just pick up the packet of notes & study it on my own at the library. On the weekends, put in more hours to nail the materials home. The weekends before an exam should be a lot of fine tuning & mastering new concepts presented that week.

Doing well in classes is great, but its not the biggest thing in the world. Your focus should be doing the BEST that you can & ofcourse pass your exams. Medical school will no doubt kick you out if you are not keeping afloat with the program...just be careful!!

There are times I would do "all-nighters" before a major exam, but that was entirely my fault because I would procratinate on the materials. Osteopathic programs, from what I've seen, will run your tank dry. There are times I just don't want to study & just relax (esp now since we have boards on top of things also). Unfortunately, it reflects on the weekends I am trying to CRAM everything in before the monday exam. Its not pretty so try & avoid doing that!!

Do little by little each day, try and always keep on top of the materials, and find some time (not too much though) for yourself. You should do fine. Good luck to you!!!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

I would say that I average about 40 hours a week on top of classes. I study 4 to 5 hours a night through the weekdays. My study on the weekend depends on whether or not there is a test the following week. If we don't have a test, I might study 5 hours Sat. and 6 on Sunday. If we have a test, I might study 10 hours on Sat. and 12 on Sunday. If something comes up and I want a weekend off, then I have to make up the time during the weekdays. This means about 7 hours a night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Future DOc and Michael,

Thanks for your advice! They were very helpful. I just hope that I will be able to keep up with the work in med school.

I have another question to ask... I am planning to take a gross anatomy course at a community college (my school doesn't offer the course to undergrads, which is pretty dumb because we have a very big premed population). Do you think it'll be helpful? I think we get to dissect a cadaver... just the arms and legs though. I just thought that it'll be good preparation for med school. Tell me what you guys think!

Well it couldn't hurt. Med school anatomy was totally different than undergraduate anatomy. They didn't integrate structure with function in undergrad very well. The approach is different in med school. For example, lets take a muscle, you would need to know the following: origin, insertion, arterial supply, innervation, function (ie. adductor or abductor, rotator, flexor, or extensor.)In undergrad a question might be: what muscles are in the thigh?, whereas med school might ask: a patient can't raise his arm to an angle greater than 90 degrees, which nerve could be severed?