Study Tips for PY1 with ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrc241

Reaction score
Hello, im a PY1 who just started pharmacy school back in august. I have dealt with ADHD my entire life and had done well in school. I take medication for it of course but it isn't a magic pill where im all of the sudden rain man (im sure most of you all know lol). Anyways I regularly attend class, watch and read anything pre-class and study everyday extensively. Im having trouble developing a system (the best way I can put it) for what I should do pre-lecture, during lecture, and post lecture, along with spaced repetition, regular studying the older material, and prepping for blocks. It seems some of the questions ive missed are topics I wasn't sure were very important. I have my 2nd set of blocks this weekend and have been studying a lot and just really noticed that with the time I've put in im having I haven't retained the information as well as id hope. The things i've noticed are trouble retaining the in depth details of concepts and remembering them. I understand them well its just keeping things fresh and in my head. Im currently doing good but not as well as id hope for. I know thats its late to apply anything at this point in the next two days lol but im looking for the rest of the blocks. I really prefer to handwrite notes because I feel amongst the various ways ive tried its seems to do me best with the comprehension and the concentration issues.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can share what I did. Brief background, I never learned good study skills in undergrad because I'm a good test taker and retain information easily. The same laid back style didn't work as well for me in pharmacy school. What I worked out was to:

1) do pre-reading/podcasts before lecture if assigned

2) take notes on the lecture PowerPoint slides. I used a tablet and the iAnnotate program, but you could also print them out. I liked the tablet because I could take photos of the professors drawings or notes too.

3) rewrite notes, in my own words when possible. (I didn't always get through ALL of this, but I tried)

4) form a small study group, walk through each section of the study material, and quiz each other with questions.

I truly believe #4 was the key. I learned the most and retained the most from asking/answering questions. My classmates could explain things that I didn't get and helping explain other answers to them helped me learn it better. Plus it was fun and so I wasn't painfully bored the entire time.

This is what worked for me. You'll have to feel out what style works for you. Best of luck!

ANKI and quizlet are awesome to review heavy memorization courses.