This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stressed student024

Reaction score
I need some advice if anyone can help. I am planning to apply to medical school this spring as soon as the application opens in May. I have found a study abroad trip for later in the summer that I really want to go on. My only concern is secondary applications. I would be gone nearly the entire month of July. I understand that some secondary apps have deadlines such as 2-3 weeks after receiving them. Would studying abroad be completely stupid? I really want to but obviously not if it'll cause too much trouble and ruin my chances of admission. I am optimistic that I could talk to admissions committees and perhaps explain my situation, or even get my mom to scan my applications and us correspond via email and she mail it in for me eventually, though that obviously is not ideal. I am looking for any insight regarding this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-write them, you can find a bank of secondaries online. Also I presume you'll have internet access so I'm confused what needs to be scanned...just submit them online. And no, admissions committees will not be understanding about missing deadlines because you're vacationing. They have more than enough applicants who will turn everything in on time

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the impression that only some of them were online. I thought that many had to be mailed back. Is this not true?

Don't take my word 100% because I'm not applying until next summer either but I am almost positive that it's all online. Mailing happened maybe several years ago but I'd be surprised if any schools still did that

EDIT: My friend was on vacation in South Africa and writing some secondaries on the plane and submitting them there this past summer. For whatever that's worth

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As I advise all applicants, applying to medical school is a full time job from May thru at least August if not September. I consider any time away during that period a very large risk that is fully under your control. So either apply to medical school OR study abroad; dont try to do both. I have seen far to many applicants try to similar things with terrible results. I would push your application back a year

Reactions: 2 users
I was under the impression that only some of them were online. I thought that many had to be mailed back. Is this not true?
Where did you hear this? Absolutely untrue.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.