studying dishonesty...why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone
As for me, if I say my studying is coming along poorly, or that I did bad on an exam. I actually did.

Is it just me? or does this happen everywhere??

Studying hard, doing well, etc, it's all relative. Some people say they didn't study much--despite a 50 hour week--and mean it. Some people got an 85 on a test and look upset, and they mean it. Others will barely pass and be excited, and some will put in 20hrs of studying in an entire week and think that is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much studying for one human being.

Relativity... yay for Einstein.

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood all nighters. It isn't even that I function that horribly with less sleep. There is just a point where my brain can't honestly absorb more. I find myself reading and writing stuff but not really paying attention to what I'm reading or writing. Once I catch myself at that level, I say it is exercise time or really anything BUT study. I'd trade 12 hours of attempted studying for 4 hours of guarenteed learning where I walk out of the room and truly feel I am better prepared. I've also discovered that the first few times I go through something it feels like a random collection of facts and then all of a sudden it all starts to click. You get reenergized and chug along a little longer.

:) I like how you think that it was a choice. I could read biochemistry or pharmacology for days but I was never able to get into anatomy...until the night before the exam when fear and outright dread managed to focus my mind long enough for me to read it. And then 5 minutes after the exam I would forget half of the material and get to spend the next couple days in absolute terror hoping I passed and swearing I'd never do it again. Believe me, I would have loved to be able to do it the proper way but it didn't always work out that way.

Whether they all do well or not, there are crammers in medical school, and it is possible that they really haven't studied anything for a Friday exam if you ask them about it on Monday.

As a fellow crammer, I am pretty surprised-- having studied by Monday for a Friday exam is something I'd consider mighty impressive (and I think many of my classmates would agree.. haha. We congratulate each other when this happens)

But who cares really, point is to worry about yourself.

Good point.

So, I read for a few hours, hit that zone, and then continue reading for the next 15. Because this is so time consuming, I only do it the day or so before the exam, but it serves me far better than breaking the time into pieces.

I feel this. For some reason, I seem to NEED to waste a few hours before my brain actually starts working. Hence I need like a 6-hr block of time just to get in a productive 3-hr study session. And also, this is most effective when I'm in full OH-SH** mode, usually 2-3 days beforehand (with the intensity ramping up until T-0)

Also, I tend to like to do things in large pieces. As in, if I start something, I hate stopping without finishing. If I write an essay, I'll go first draft -> second draft -> final draft all in one sitting, if I can help it. Like, I'd rather spend 24 straight hours building a shed rather than turning it into a week-long project. (All or nothing-- I guess my personality is kind of like that too.) With studying there's no end in sight, ever, so I feel like that's why I'm so averse to it. But I will put in a massive marathon sessions before test day when the need arises.

Step 1 is going to be an absolute blast for people with the all-at-once study style. Have fun with that.

THIS is definitely the concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, a lot of people are just nervous. One of my friends would routinely be one of the high scorers on exams, and he really would be worried that he was going to do poorly. I don't know why, but it's just what he convinced himself of.

Plus, most people don't go into med school exams thinking "I really completely understand all of this material, and I have no concerns." You could always get tricky questions.

Plus, most people don't go into med school exams thinking "I really completely understand all of this material, and I have no concerns." You could always get tricky questions.

:thumbup:

just as an update....

made it through med school and did fine. i passed all 3 Steps of the boards. not great scores, but passed. Got residency in the specialty of my choice, on my first try. i matched in the middle of my rank list.

Finishing out PGY-2 year now....residency is unfortunately a lot tougher than med school ughhhh....hard to be lazy and u get caught

Reactions: 1 user
thats pretty cool man. what specialty? what made you suddenly remember this forum after 5 years?
It's clearly his bidecadal tradition. I wouldn't expect to hear back from LOTR for at least another 5 years.

Seriously, congrats on getting through LOTR. We all have to find out what works for us in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
They mainly say that, in order to save them from the shame, if ever they get unexpected questions and ruin the exam. So their back is safe because their friends think yeah this dude got it screwed as he said. It's just for personal self security. Nothing more!!!