Studying for ITE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that this question may have been debated on here several times, however when i did a google search the most recent post i could find was from 2013 so i thought i would ask it again. I'm curently a new CA-1 and i was wondering what most people used to study for their ITE that allowed them to "Kick it out the park." Currently, I am read Morgan and Mikhail but i find myself wondering if this book is truly the best as I tend to forget most of what i read.
Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Spend some time reading every day and try to make it through m&m at least 1.5-2 times by the test. Do true learn for comprehensive nitty gritty topics and m5 for the big picture stuff. Open anesthesia and ace exams to supplement. Easy peezy.

And fwiw, when doing qbanks, don't just rely on word and pattern recognition. Having real knowledge means not only knowing why the right answer is factual, but also being able to explain why the other answers are wrong.

Currently, I am read Morgan and Mikhail but i find myself wondering if this book is truly the best as I tend to forget most of what i read.
Thanks for the advice!

And that's the books fault?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The ITE (all 3 years) is really much more of a general medical knowledge test than anesthesia specific. An internist could get a decent score on the ITE's. Keep that in mind as you study. I think the ABA is trying to make sure you're a physician first and anesthesiologist 2nd. I found the actual boards to have a fair bit more anesthesia specific material than any of the ITE's.

The ITE (all 3 years) is really much more of a general medical knowledge test than anesthesia specific. An internist could get a decent score on the ITE's. Keep that in mind as you study. I think the ABA is trying to make sure you're a physician first and anesthesiologist 2nd. I found the actual boards to have a fair bit more anesthesia specific material than any of the ITE's.

Yeah, agree with this. Anesthesia and Co-Existing disease book is something I refer to often in case prep if there is unusual or significant pathology, and very helpful board (and high yield clinical) review.

Truelearn. Do it on tutor mode and read the answers. That's all I did for ca-1 ITE and it worked well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

i did ACE questions and faust. over and over and over again until i really understood all the concepts. i did quite well on both my cA2 and CA3 ITEs (CA1 was another story....). Really any of the major resources will work once you find one that fits your learning style and go with it. How did you learn best in med school? doing questions?--get ACE/Hall/Truelearn/M5 etc. reading? go to the big texts. outline format? faust is your guy. also michael ho's textbook is very good for people who like outline format.

Currently, I am read Morgan and Mikhail but i find myself wondering if this book is truly the best as I tend to forget most of what i read.

Then you need to change your methods. Morgan and Mikhail isn't really any better or worse than any other textbook out there. They all say the same things. Your problem isn't M&M, it's reading a textbook and retaining the information. You probably had the same problem with your med school biochem text, and your undergrad zoology text.

Sitting down and reading a textbook, one chapter after another, is mostly wasted time for most people. To an extent, as a new CA-1 there's no avoiding that approach for some of your study time ... there is a bunch of basic stuff you simply have to memorize.

Better ways for most people to learn:

1) Make it an active process. Study for multiple, short periods of time. Read something for less than 10 minutes, then do practice questions on the same subject. Or listen to a podcast, write notes from your short term memory, listen again. Watch a (short) video, that sort of thing.

2) Relate it to a patient. You know what cases you're doing tomorrow ... read about the patient's disease processes and impact on anesthesia in detail. That information is immediate, interesting, and easy to retain for a long time, if not forever.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been using AnesthesiaQBank along with Yao's, and I've really liked the questions in both a lot.