Studying for organic chemistry before starting the class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wakaaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving my community college and I'll be attending a 4 year institution as a sophomore. I'll be taking organic chemistry and school will start in 20 days. I know its late, but I was planning on buying some stuff or reading on some stuff before starting orgo just so I can understand and picture a few things before I go all crazy over the transition and how hard orgo is, then again people hype it so I don't know what to make of it.

What do you suggest I do? Should I read or buy anything?

Members don't see this ad.

watch the videos on khan academy. Don't worry about memorizing reactions.

Things you can do:
Understand the properties of C, O, N and H.
Know your orbital theories
understand the interaction of electrons and protons
You will mostly be dealing with bronsted Lowry acids and bases.
practice drawing molecules
understand major properties of pi-bonds.

You can find all these stuff in the internet or get a tutor. Don't read an orgo book, you will fall asleep.

Last edited:
email your professor, find out what book you will be using (probably wade) and start reading. use chad's videos as a supplement to material that you find confusing. best of luck to you. way to be responsible and get ahead of it. you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could easily teach yourself the nomenclature rules and have that mastered before class starts.

i was in the same boat as you before i took orgo. It wasn't as bad as people said, but just make sure you stay on top of stuff and leave nothing to chance when those tests roll around. In any case, one thing you can do before class is start understanding stereochemistry. borrow a molecular model set from someone and do some reading up on chirality, R and S enantiomers and Fischer projects and that'll give you a nice intro as to what to expect. also that stuff is fun, so you may enjoy it.

all the above stuff is good advice too.

I would order and read Ochem as a second langauge 1st semester topics. You don't have to understand it all, but it will really help you when class starts. You could get to know functional groups, nomenclature as well.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. What should I order for organic chemistry to help me throughout this year. I will be taking organic chemistry 1 and 2 this year and I plan on taking the DAT right after I finish this year as a sophomore.

Thanks

Am i the only one who thinks you should do nothing? Just study hard when the time comes... You'll be fine if you put in the work. But if it'll lessen your stress, go for it, but study very lightly.

Am i the only one who thinks you should do nothing? Just study hard when the time comes... You'll be fine if you put in the work. But if it'll lessen your stress, go for it, but study very lightly.

Why does everyone say this? People on SDN seem to have a thing against studying ahead.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. What should I order for organic chemistry to help me throughout this year. I will be taking organic chemistry 1 and 2 this year and I plan on taking the DAT right after I finish this year as a sophomore.

Thanks

Find out what book you'll be using, and order the corresponding solutions manual. The school library will probably have it, but I know some schools (mine included) limit student use to a reference, and you usually can't check that book out. Just easier to have one yourself.

I HIGHLY recommend watching Chad's videos and taking notes. It will help immensely...You can always go back to those notes when you're studying for DATs as well.

Great way to get a good foundation. This is all you need

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest you learn or remember the common bonding patterns for elements like carbon, nitrogen, the halogens, and being able to draw structures proficiently given a chemical formula.

I tutor for chemistry and this by far one of the most common reasons why students struggle at the beginning.

Organic chemistry as a second language is a great book (1 and 2). I would not start studying until class starts. Have fun now and study hard later.

Just bone up one some of the basics you covered in G-chem that most students never get down well enough:

-VESPR theory
-Hybridization
-Resonance

If you want to work even harder learn how to name and draw molecules. Learn the names of the functional groups and their structure.

Pretty much the only equation you'll need all term is

Henderson-Hasselbalch
H+=PKA + Log [A-/HA]

Because most people just want to do okay in a class. They believe there is nothing to gain by simply learning. Prior to class there is no carrot in the way of grades so most students figure "Gonna play me some X-box".

Remember: only 40% of students make it into dental school. Others are just spinning their wheels and will move on. If you give college a full go-at-it I think you'll find it a much more life-changing-enjoyable experience. Too many people go through college without really learning anything.

Why does everyone say this? People on SDN seem to have a thing against studying ahead.

Because most people just want to do okay in a class. They believe there is nothing to gain by simply learning. Prior to class there is no carrot in the way of grades so most students figure "Gonna play me some X-box".

Remember: only 40% of students make it into dental school. Others are just spinning their wheels and will move on. If you give college a full go-at-it I think you'll find it a much more life-changing-enjoyable experience. Too many people go through college without really learning anything.

yes. I agree with you.

Last edited:
I would learn maybe* some nomenclature, the properties of CHON, and what the different arrows and dots mean in organic reactions - all standard things. Learn the reactions later.

Just bone up one some of the basics you covered in G-chem that most students never get down well enough:

-VESPR theory
-Hybridization
-Resonance

If you want to work even harder learn how to name and draw molecules. Learn the names of the functional groups and their structure.

Pretty much the only equation you'll need all term is

Henderson-Hasselbalch
H+=PKA + Log [A-/HA]

^ and even that is just a derivation of the Ka equation. but i couldn't agree more on vesper theory, hybrid, and res.

I would order and read Ochem as a second langauge 1st semester topics. You don't have to understand it all, but it will really help you when class starts. You could get to know functional groups, nomenclature as well.

In agreement here. Get to know the language of Ochem. The profs move so fast and if you dont know what they are talking about you will be left in the dust (like me for two semesters)

Even if you dont start early, do stay on top of material daily. From day one!!

Best of luck!

I wish I took advice from here. I ended up doing nothing before school and now I'm in terrible shape :(

I wish I took advice from here. I ended up doing nothing before school and now I'm in terrible shape :(

Dude I really wish people would stop making it seem like cc's are bad schools to attend before going to a 4 year university. Seriously if you study hard you will be fine. I took 15 credit hrs after I graduated from a cc and went to a 4 year university and I did just fine. Thats with me taking O chem 1 and lab and every other class I could add. Not to mention working a full time job. And yes I got an A in both O chem 1 and 2. Just say you didn't understand the material instead of blaming it on your previous institution. I did absolutely nothing before I got into O chem and I just loved the complexity of the class. I loved the fact that the class was supposed to be hard b/c it made me work hard. I said all that to say I loved my experience at a cc and I wouldn't trade it for anything it made me realize that college is not a cake walk.
Good Luck with the rest of the semester you will be fine if you study like your supposed 2. :D

Dude I really wish people would stop making it seem like cc's are bad schools to attend before going to a 4 year university. Seriously if you study hard you will be fine. I took 15 credit hrs after I graduated from a cc and went to a 4 year university and I did just fine. Thats with me taking O chem 1 and lab and every other class I could add. Not to mention working a full time job. And yes I got an A in both O chem 1 and 2. Just say you didn't understand the material instead of blaming it on your previous institution. I did absolutely nothing before I got into O chem and I just loved the complexity of the class. I loved the fact that the class was supposed to be hard b/c it made me work hard. I said all that to say I loved my experience at a cc and I wouldn't trade it for anything it made me realize that college is not a cake walk.
Good Luck with the rest of the semester you will be fine if you study like your supposed 2. :D

I don't think cc's are bad. When you get a w, will it show how late I got it? Say I got it at the beginning or end? I think I would have to drop lab too.. That would put me at 10 credits this semester.

I don't think cc's are bad. When you get a w, will it show how late I got it? Say I got it at the beginning or end? I think I would have to drop lab too.. That would put me at 10 credits this semester.

I'm pretty certain that it only shows the semester and year that you took the class and then a "W" next to it rather than a grade. You're going to need a decent/good explanation for the "W" because they will ask and it's likely to be brought up at your committee review. I got asked about mine but I broke my dominent hand in a car accident so it was a pretty easy explanation. ;)

I'm pretty certain that it only shows the semester and year that you took the class and then a "W" next to it rather than a grade. You're going to need a decent/good explanation for the "W" because they will ask and it's likely to be brought up at your committee review. I got asked about mine but I broke my dominent hand in a car accident so it was a pretty easy explanation. ;)

I already have 1 W in calculus because my major didn't need it and I was getting a mid c in it. I figured I'd rather take the W than C especially since I don't need that class, but Orgo I'm not sure what to do..

I already have 1 W in calculus because my major didn't need it and I was getting a mid c in it. I figured I'd rather take the W than C especially since I don't need that class, but Orgo I'm not sure what to do..

if this makes you feel better. My 1st semester at uni I dropped a stupid elective that it turned out I didn't need. This semester I dropped genetics. I have two so far. Believe me dude, it is better to get a W than a C or D. You can always retake the class you drop and do better. Keep your gpa as high as possible.

in my opinion, they are not going to ask if you have 3-4 W's. That's normal. If you have let say beyond 5, then they might ask you about them.

if this makes you feel better. My 1st semester at uni I dropped a stupid elective that it turned out I didn't need. This semester I dropped genetics. I have two so far. Believe me dude, it is better to get a W than a C or D. You can always retake the class you drop and do better. Keep your gpa as high as possible.

in my opinion, they are not going to ask if you have 3-4 W's. That's normal. If you have let say beyond 5, then they might ask you about them.

Hopefully that's the case, but I only had 2 "W"s and they were from Gen Chem I and the lab...and I still got asked. It was the only "ding" on my transcript - all A's and B's and decent DAT. I def think a W is better than a C or D, but if its not too late to get a B I'd hire a tutor, find a super smart friend to study with and/or go to any study sessions the teacher offers. Focus on OChem over other classes because you'll need to understand it for your DAT. Good luck!

I'm leaving my community college and I'll be attending a 4 year institution as a sophomore. I'll be taking organic chemistry and school will start in 20 days. I know its late, but I was planning on buying some stuff or reading on some stuff before starting orgo just so I can understand and picture a few things before I go all crazy over the transition and how hard orgo is, then again people hype it so I don't know what to make of it.

What do you suggest I do? Should I read or buy anything?

use chad chem, he explains much better than professors at university.

you will get really good info about ochem from his lecture

Hopefully that's the case, but I only had 2 "W"s and they were from Gen Chem I and the lab...and I still got asked. It was the only "ding" on my transcript - all A's and B's and decent DAT. I def think a W is better than a C or D, but if its not too late to get a B I'd hire a tutor, find a super smart friend to study with and/or go to any study sessions the teacher offers. Focus on OChem over other classes because you'll need to understand it for your DAT. Good luck!

I dropped genetics cuz i couldn't get an A lol

I dropped genetics too man. That class was super hard, but I'll be taking again this spring with different Prof. Hopefully it'll be easier.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2!

me too dude. I'm taking it with another prof next semester. Best of luck to us!

I still have a chance of getting in A in genetics, but I messed up at first. Got a 65 my first test and a 93 on second. Most of my friends are doing better than I am in that class though.

I still have a chance of getting in A in genetics, but I messed up at first. Got a 65 my first test and a 93 on second. Most of my friends are doing better than I am in that class though.

If I'm not mistaken, you are sitting at a C ish right now. B+ is possible but an A is very unlikely

I'm sitting at a B right now. An 82 ad there's still 2 or 3 more quizzes, test, and final.