Studying for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xaq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering what is good study material for the PCAT? Bookwise, paper or on PC. I am not trying to spend like $300+ on a course, that is just too much. I hear a lot of good/bad things about Kaplan so I am not so sure how good that is. I don't take the PCAT until Summer of 2012, but I want to get a head start and get familiar with similar material. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My first PCAT Score was around a 73 percentile using Kaplan (~50 bucks) and then the second time I took it I got an 89 percentile using Kaplan in conjunction with Dr. Collins Review packet. Kaplan goes very in-depth in their reviews and you don't really need to know a lot of it, but it is a good resource. Dr. collins helps a lot with biology and math as the math section has become really hard now that it has switched to be a more calc-based section, the chemistry was very in depth as there wasn't that much ochem on it. If you are looking to buy a dr collins review packet i can sell you one (it only has the jan 2010 update) for around 80 bucks really good condition (no writing on it). Just PM me.

I used Kaplan, which was good for bio and chem I thought. I also used Barron's, some random question book that I can't find the name of online, and all the practice tests through Pearson. Getting all of that wasn't too much. I have no experience with the Dr. Collins review.

Take practice tests, find out what you are weakest at, and practice the crap out of that. Then take more tests to get used to the speed and timing. Math and chemistry can get time crunched during the test. They may not be questions that you can't figure out, but you need to get through them quickly and that takes practice. I got multiple books to be sure I wouldn't be blindsided by questions being asked in a different manner between study guides.

Got a 99 first shot. I studied probably 2-3 hours a day, more on weekends, for about 6 weeks. Good luck!

Is that the Kaplan book? Or the Kaplan course?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking to me, I just used study guides. No courses.

Yes I was, someone edited my post? Idk why or how. So you got a 99 just with study guides? Thats what I want to do too. lol How much do those usually cost?

"there wasnt that much ochem on it"

Not true. There will be approximately 19 questions on the PCAT chemistry section dealing with organic.