Studying for Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuLu24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I can see looking at the curriculum at New Jersey Med there is a whole month devoted to studying for step I only. I know you are studying year round through your course work but I was surprised to see this special block of time set aside titled "Study Step I". Is this common in most medical schools? I appreciate your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We get 6 weeks . . . but that's also our only break between MSII and III. You can schedule Step I whenever. The standard routine seems to be 4 weeks of study, take the test and 2 weeks vacation before the rotations start.

you really only need a month to study for it.

Thanks so much for all of your comments!

how productive is it to complement normal lecture with review books in anticipation of step 1?

I think complementing lecture with BRS review books (and the like) is probably more helpful with doing well in the lectures themselves, which may or may not ultimately help with step 1 by learning the material. Generally, like the MCAT, you'll get your best results by studying hardcore for your steps right before the actual thing.

how productive is it to complement normal lecture with review books in anticipation of step 1?

I've found it really helpful in that it allows you to make sure you learn the high yield concepts well the first time through your studies. Review books are also really fast reads that can allow you to look through a month's worth of material in about an hour before your exam.

I think complementing lecture with BRS review books (and the like) is probably more helpful with doing well in the lectures themselves, which may or may not ultimately help with step 1 by learning the material. Generally, like the MCAT, you'll get your best results by studying hardcore for your steps right before the actual thing.

Have you already started studying for Step 1?

I've found it really helpful in that it allows you to make sure you learn the high yield concepts well the first time through your studies. Review books are also really fast reads that can allow you to look through a month's worth of material in about an hour before your exam.

Do the board review books change much year to year? In other words, if you buy review books before M1 to study along with your classes, will you need to rebuy newer versions at the end of M2 when Step I time actually rolls around?

Have you already started studying for Step 1?
Nah, I am in an SMP right now and surrounded by students (and many friends who are M2s outside of my school) who have started to study for steps. Seems like their advice has reflected what most people here suggest

Do the board review books change much year to year? In other words, if you buy review books before M1 to study along with your classes, will you need to rebuy newer versions at the end of M2 when Step I time actually rolls around?

Probably not, although I don't know for sure. I've been using the 04 edition of First Aid through the first two years, but bought the 07 edition because they redid the format to make it more systems-based. It seems to have pretty much the same material, though.