1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Studying for Step I

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by LuLu24, Feb 15, 2007.

1. LuLu24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From what I can see looking at the curriculum at New Jersey Med there is a whole month devoted to studying for step I only. I know you are studying year round through your course work but I was surprised to see this special block of time set aside titled "Study Step I". Is this common in most medical schools? I appreciate your help :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Taurus

Taurus Paul Revere of Medicine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. G0S2

G0S2 SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    May 1-June 18 for us.

4. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We get 6 weeks . . . but that's also our only break between MSII and III. You can schedule Step I whenever. The standard routine seems to be 4 weeks of study, take the test and 2 weeks vacation before the rotations start.

5. dontstuddy

dontstuddy Member
    7+ Year Member

At my school we get 8 weeks off between MSII-III to study/vacation

6. ENTis4me

ENTis4me Rookie
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you really only need a month to study for it.

7. OP
    OP
    LuLu24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks so much for all of your comments!

8. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    how productive is it to complement normal lecture with review books in anticipation of step 1?

9. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think complementing lecture with BRS review books (and the like) is probably more helpful with doing well in the lectures themselves, which may or may not ultimately help with step 1 by learning the material. Generally, like the MCAT, you'll get your best results by studying hardcore for your steps right before the actual thing.

10. DoctorFunk

DoctorFunk Get down with the boogie
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've found it really helpful in that it allows you to make sure you learn the high yield concepts well the first time through your studies. Review books are also really fast reads that can allow you to look through a month's worth of material in about an hour before your exam.

11. MWillie

MWillie On the wards
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have you already started studying for Step 1?

12. Do the board review books change much year to year? In other words, if you buy review books before M1 to study along with your classes, will you need to rebuy newer versions at the end of M2 when Step I time actually rolls around?

13. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nah, I am in an SMP right now and surrounded by students (and many friends who are M2s outside of my school) who have started to study for steps. Seems like their advice has reflected what most people here suggest

14. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably not, although I don't know for sure. I've been using the 04 edition of First Aid through the first two years, but bought the 07 edition because they redid the format to make it more systems-based. It seems to have pretty much the same material, though.