Studying in Australia, planning on staying after.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT Potato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm an American student completing my Bachelor's Degree in the US and I plan on going to med school in Australia. My goal is to train and continue practicing in Oz after graduation. I do not want to practice in the US and the wife and I would much rather earn our citizenships in Oz. Is this realistic? Is it possible to get into work in Oz after graduation to start earning my PR? I would like to go to Uni of Queensland if that helps at all.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I'm an American student completing my Bachelor's Degree in the US and I plan on going to med school in Australia. My goal is to train and continue practicing in Oz after graduation. I do not want to practice in the US and the wife and I would much rather earn our citizenships in Oz. Is this realistic? Is it possible to get into work in Oz after graduation to start earning my PR? I would like to go to Uni of Queensland if that helps at all.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
You're trying to predict the future and it's not possible in the current job climate.

Sure, it's a possibility.
It's also very possible that it could take 6-8 yrs just to get PR. If that. Even longer for citizenship. It's the trump era, it's not as extreme in Australia but it does spill over a bit. Strong chance you'll work in rural medicine, which could now be said of most Western countries. Most likely FM, maybe IM.

Also, have you lived in Australia or shadowed doctors there? Or worked in the health sector in Australia? It's all kind of hot air if you haven't. The training pathway or structure is different. And either people love it, or hate it and cannot wait to match at home again. I.e. FM is easily 5-6 yrs in Australia. IM like 6 all up to be an attending. Surg like 10. This is all after grad from med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're trying to predict the future and it's not possible in the current job climate.

Sure, it's a possibility.
It's also very possible that it could take 6-8 yrs just to get PR. If that. Even longer for citizenship. It's the trump era, it's not as extreme in Australia but it does spill over a bit. Strong chance you'll work in rural medicine, which could now be said of most Western countries. Most likely FM, maybe IM.

Also, have you lived in Australia or shadowed doctors there? Or worked in the health sector in Australia? It's all kind of hot air if you haven't. The training pathway or structure is different. And either people love it, or hate it and cannot wait to match at home again. I.e. FM is easily 5-6 yrs in Australia. IM like 6 all up to be an attending. Surg like 10. This is all after grad from med school.

I have visited a couple times at length and I really enjoyed the country. I do have a slight idea of how the training works as I have talked to a doctor currently working there (although she is not an foreigner, so I know things may be a bit different job wise). Is work as a foreigner hard to find in or around the capital cities? Also what are the hours generally like in most training schemes? What state would give me the best chance at finding a job? We have been looking at going out to Western Australia and Queensland.

Thank you so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I look at it by state,I think the ACT(ANU) has the best chance of finding a job as of 2017.

QLD has 739 positions and WA has 318 positions as of 2017.(might not factor in rural hospitals) On the other hand,ACT has 95 places,with guaranteed first round priority for international graduates in 2017. I also had a look at VIC,which has 807 positions,with second round priority for international graduates in VIC.
AMSA Internship Guide 2017

QLD has 722 domestic and 173 internationals(excluding UQ-O),WA has 313 domestic and 30 internationals. As for the ACT,it has 90 domestic and 10 internationals. VIC has 753 domestics and 133 internationals.

Department of Health | Medical Graduates

So,let's look at several articles that gives insight in WA and QLD.

In WA,you have a small issue of internship crisis as seen in UWA doctor out of work next year | The West Australian .
And I actually searched up the doctor in the article,Brian Alosious. Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Register of practitioners

He managed to get registered and is currently working in Thornlie,WA,which is still in Perth and non-rural.

I can't find an article for QLD but I must imagine the situation to be worse than WA or the ACT,and even VIC.

Take heed that this is only for 2017,it could very well change in the future.

Available options

There is this option-Commonwealth Medical Internships: Under this policy,a limited number of places are allocated to onshore Australia medical graduates in the private hospital sector and in rural and regional Australia, where traditionally there are fewer internship opportunities.You might work at rural places or be sent in the Northern Territory where there are a couple of hospitals there.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/B3C5992477C2C032CA257D490009246E/$File/CMI 2018 - Programme Guidelines.pdf

One other way is to head to Australia's closest neighbour,New Zealand. As for this option,I have not much say since it's on another country altogether.

NZ & Australian graduates

The internship crisis is quite an issue,but there is still some hope. More hope if you are considering rural healthcare.

Last edited:
If I look at it by state,I think the ACT(ANU) has the best chance of finding a job as of 2017.

QLD has 739 positions and WA has 318 positions as of 2017.(might not factor in rural hospitals) On the other hand,ACT has 95 places,with guaranteed first round priority for international graduates in 2017. I also had a look at VIC,which has 807 positions,with second round priority for international graduates in VIC.
AMSA Internship Guide 2017

QLD has 722 domestic and 173 internationals(excluding UQ-O),WA has 313 domestic and 30 internationals. As for the ACT,it has 90 domestic and 10 internationals. VIC has 753 domestics and 133 internationals.

Department of Health | Medical Graduates

So,let's look at several articles that gives insight in WA and QLD.

In WA,you have a small issue of internship crisis as seen in UWA doctor out of work next year | The West Australian .
And I actually searched up the doctor in the article,Brian Alosious. Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Register of practitioners

He managed to get registered and is currently working in Thornlie,WA,which is still in Perth and non-rural.

I can't find an article for QLD but I must imagine the situation to be worse than WA or the ACT,and even VIC.

Take heed that this is only for 2017,it could very well change in the future.

Available options

There is this option-Commonwealth Medical Internships: Under this policy,a limited number of places are allocated to onshore Australia medical graduates in the private hospital sector and in rural and regional Australia, where traditionally there are fewer internship opportunities.You might work at rural places or be sent in the Northern Territory where there are a couple of hospitals there.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/B3C5992477C2C032CA257D490009246E/$File/CMI 2018 - Programme Guidelines.pdf

One other way is to head to Australia's closest neighbour,New Zealand. As for this option,I have not much say since it's on another country altogether.

NZ & Australian graduates

The internship crisis is quite an issue,but there is still some hope. More hope if you are considering rural healthcare.
Jedrek, we've talked about this before. It's nice what you're doing, but you should really disclose to other premeds and students that you yourself are a premed when you're giving them advice. Everything you know is based on paper, which while very impressive, doesn't have experience to bolster or back it up. I really don't think you should give residency advice when you've neither gone to med school or actually applied for residency before.

The extent of your advice as a premed, ideally should stop at giving other premeds advice about how to apply to other schools. I've said this to you before, otherwise, it's like giving medical advice to patients when you've never attended med school. Anyone can look up webmd, but you dont' have the actual training to back it should things go wrong. You have to be careful about this. You have a knack for giving very well put together advising, truly, and you know the minimum requirements to schools. Continue to share that. It's solid. I'm not trying to be cruel.

I've said this so many, many times.
The single intern or prelim year doesn't make you a fully qualified doctor. You still have to apply for vocational training and resident years thereafter.

Last edited:
I have visited a couple times at length and I really enjoyed the country. I do have a slight idea of how the training works as I have talked to a doctor currently working there (although she is not an foreigner, so I know things may be a bit different job wise). Is work as a foreigner hard to find in or around the capital cities? Also what are the hours generally like in most training schemes? What state would give me the best chance at finding a job? We have been looking at going out to Western Australia and Queensland.

Thank you so much for the help!
Visiting is not really the same, nor is talking to one doctor once.
To put it harshly.

I visited London once and know more than few brit ex-pat junior doctors and exchange medical students from there. Doesn't mean I know their immigration policies and how to apply for jobs there. i know they do foundation years after school, but I don't know much else after. It's a black box for me.

So, hence, it's a whole other story if you've lived there or have family/married to an Australia. It's means you have some strong tie. Maybe Australia was actually home and the US was temporary. But that's not your case. How much research and how much time have you thought about this?

For what it's worth, in case you haven't considered it for long - I'm going to be very blunt about this. Because I really want you to think about this seriously and be scared. It's long and arduous path and life you sign up for in medicine, and even more so as an off-shore student. If you've made up your mind, then you've made up your mind.

I don't recommend this path. I've repeated myself quite a few times in other threads. Going off-shore should never be anyone's number one choice, it should only be your last option should not get into any MD or DO school at home.

Sure, like the premed said above, some states have better outcomes for grads. But that only applies to today, not 4-5 years from years from now. Policies and job markets change on an annual basis. And his advice only extends to a single intern year, you need 5+ years of training somewhere to finish and be a fully qualified a doctor. Every premed and student just obsesses over that one year, and can't seem to think beyond it. It's not the end all be all a single prelim or intern year. You still have to continue applying for jobs after that. Not everyone likes this.

When you graduate from med school in the US, you apply directly into 'vocational training' or residency, which could be FM or Surg. And after 2-5 years you finish and become a fully qualified doctor. That is not how it works in Australia. You apply for jobs every year. The trend now is after rotating as a house officer (similar to a TRI or Prelim year in the US) for 2-3 years, then you can apply to vocational training at royal college. with surgery, it's more like. after 5-6 years.

I would forget capital cities as an IMG or international student. Are there exceptions sure, everyone thinks they will be that exception. But as it is, we're in junior doctor oversupply, that's been in official government reports. Every state trains its own batches of domestic students and they are guaranteed a job and have first round pick of where they want to work. only after they decide and have accepted offers, are left overs (essentially) given over to international students to apply and pick up.

Training for IM, Surg and subspecialties has to date been best at the tertiary metro public hospitals. Because they have the breadth and sufficient consultants/attendings to train you. Small sites simply won't have the capacity. The bigger sites also have higher pass rates for board exams. This is why metro spots fill up with domestics first. As in, in-state trained domestics. And generally everyone tends to stay in the hospitals they do internship in.

So, the vast majority of graduates will end up rural. then you have to be highly competitive to make it back to the city after intern year. It's near impossible as an international to get an internship in the city. Unless you do it via the mixed private and rural/remote scheme, but everyone in there has to move onto a new hospital after 2-3 years. Private hospitals are sufficient to train you as an intern, but not for finishing off your training necessarily.

How vocational training works in the US again - you apply once in the match and get a program at a hospital. In Australia - it's different and less straightforward. You apply to a hospital, not a program. The hospital has it's own program to various levels of quality - important to know for passing your boards. Then when you've accumulated enough points of expeirence on your CV (could be research, could be other degrees, they like masters of public health - after you've done med school), then you apply to a royal college that will allow you to finish your training. Meanwhile, you still have to re-apply each year to hospitals. They're 2 separate entities. Not only this, but many royal colleges actually require that you have PR/green card to even apply.

Hours of training are variable depending on hospital and depending on what you decide to do. Largely it's shift work in Australia, with no 24 hours rostered hours on site. intern year hours are highly protected. obviously, on busier rotations like surgery or medicine, your hours could be 10-12 a day. On weekend shifts 16. No on calls that are 24-72 hrs.

As you go higher up it gets busier, hours are longer or "worse". PGY2 is not terrible. but if you end up doing surgery or cardiology for instance, easily you'll be 72 hours on call for a weekend for instance if you're more senior. Which means, you only phyisically needed to be there for a few hours. Then have to answer calls on your phone the rest of the time. If you're in cardiology let's say, on a bad day with lots of code AMIs (heart attacks), you could be working the entire 72 hrs. It really depends on hospital site policy and what vocation. Surgery hours as a trainee is also long, 6-7 am to 10 pm easily, or midnight if emergency cases roll in. Some days you could be leaving earlier at 5-6, but it's not everyday. They try to balance it out or alternate it. but someone has to be around after hours. I suppose it's marginally better than the US where it's start work at 4-5 am.

FM has the best lifestyle. But you aren't likely to get city FM. For one there's a moratorium - you can't bill patients for medicare for 10 years after finishing school. And they also require PR before you can even apply to the city FM college.

So that leaves rural FM. Where most international students and IMGs end up.
Not everyone mind you, but most.

When you become an off-shore student, long story short, it limits the options you have for applying for residency. Maybe you're okay with this as a premed who hasn't gone through school yet. But you can't predict what you will find out as you go through rotations - maybe you thought FM was great as a premed. Then you do as a clinical student and work in as an intern (some states allow this) and decide it's not for you. You're more suited to be a neurosurgeon.
that's a one in a million thing to get whether as a domestic or international, but it is even harder for internationals.

You'll want to ensure you have the best opportunities open to you from the moment you apply to med school. Just in case you decide you want something competitive later. So only go off-shore, if you know you have no other options. You've applied and been rejected at home. Then indeed - off-shore and it's options are the only opportunities left to you. but you are picking the harder path, it's not something to go into casually. Can you be successful, yes, if you work hard and are willing to make some sacrifices. But I can't guarantee you'll be happy with what you get.

I'm going to stop here, as I've rambled way too long.

Last edited:
I'm not as pessimistic as Domperidone -- where he/she's an '8' on the 'be scared ****less' scale, I'd be a 6 (if I were paternalistic, I might also be an 8, just to make sure people think themselves through).

My caveat to the above aside from turning the knob down slightly is that some people without ties here do and have come as a first choice (I'm one example), BUT you really have to be a romantic to do that, a serious adventurer who values the journey over fixed goals, whose attitude is...where life (and my abilities) take me, so be it. That is a completely foreign sentiment to most people these days, but it does still exist.

Visiting is not really the same, nor is talking to one doctor once.
To put it harshly.

I visited London once and know more than few brit ex-pat junior doctors and exchange medical students from there. Doesn't mean I know their immigration policies and how to apply for jobs there. i know they do foundation years after school, but I don't know much else after. It's a black box for me.

So, hence, it's a whole other story if you've lived there or have family/married to an Australia. It's means you have some strong tie. Maybe Australia was actually home and the US was temporary. But that's not your case. How much research and how much time have you thought about this?

For what it's worth, in case you haven't considered it for long - I'm going to be very blunt about this. Because I really want you to think about this seriously and be scared. It's long and arduous path and life you sign up for in medicine, and even more so as an off-shore student. If you've made up your mind, then you've made up your mind.

I don't recommend this path. I've repeated myself quite a few times in other threads. Going off-shore should never be anyone's number one choice, it should only be your last option should not get into any MD or DO school at home.

Sure, like the premed said above, some states have better outcomes for grads. But that only applies to today, not 4-5 years from years from now. Policies and job markets change on an annual basis. And his advice only extends to a single intern year, you need 5+ years of training somewhere to finish and be a fully qualified a doctor. Every premed and student just obsesses over that one year, and can't seem to think beyond it. It's not the end all be all a single prelim or intern year. You still have to continue applying for jobs after that. Not everyone likes this.

When you graduate from med school in the US, you apply directly into 'vocational training' or residency, which could be FM or Surg. And after 2-5 years you finish and become a fully qualified doctor. That is not how it works in Australia. You apply for jobs every year. The trend now is after rotating as a house officer (similar to a TRI or Prelim year in the US) for 2-3 years, then you can apply to vocational training at royal college. with surgery, it's more like. after 5-6 years.

I would forget capital cities as an IMG or international student. Are there exceptions sure, everyone thinks they will be that exception. But as it is, we're in junior doctor oversupply, that's been in official government reports. Every state trains its own batches of domestic students and they are guaranteed a job and have first round pick of where they want to work. only after they decide and have accepted offers, are left overs (essentially) given over to international students to apply and pick up.

Training for IM, Surg and subspecialties has to date been best at the tertiary metro public hospitals. Because they have the breadth and sufficient consultants/attendings to train you. Small sites simply won't have the capacity. The bigger sites also have higher pass rates for board exams. This is why metro spots fill up with domestics first. As in, in-state trained domestics. And generally everyone tends to stay in the hospitals they do internship in.

So, the vast majority of graduates will end up rural. then you have to be highly competitive to make it back to the city after intern year. It's near impossible as an international to get an internship in the city. Unless you do it via the mixed private and rural/remote scheme, but everyone in there has to move onto a new hospital after 2-3 years. Private hospitals are sufficient to train you as an intern, but not for finishing off your training necessarily.

How vocational training works in the US again - you apply once in the match and get a program at a hospital. In Australia - it's different and less straightforward. You apply to a hospital, not a program. The hospital has it's own program to various levels of quality - important to know for passing your boards. Then when you've accumulated enough points of expeirence on your CV (could be research, could be other degrees, they like masters of public health - after you've done med school), then you apply to a royal college that will allow you to finish your training. Meanwhile, you still have to re-apply each year to hospitals. They're 2 separate entities. Not only this, but many royal colleges actually require that you have PR/green card to even apply.

Hours of training are variable depending on hospital and depending on what you decide to do. Largely it's shift work in Australia, with no 24 hours rostered hours on site. intern year hours are highly protected. obviously, on busier rotations like surgery or medicine, your hours could be 10-12 a day. On weekend shifts 16. No on calls that are 24-72 hrs.

As you go higher up it gets busier, hours are longer or "worse". PGY2 is not terrible. but if you end up doing surgery or cardiology for instance, easily you'll be 72 hours on call for a weekend for instance if you're more senior. Which means, you only phyisically needed to be there for a few hours. Then have to answer calls on your phone the rest of the time. If you're in cardiology let's say, on a bad day with lots of code AMIs (heart attacks), you could be working the entire 72 hrs. It really depends on hospital site policy and what vocation. Surgery hours as a trainee is also long, 6-7 am to 10 pm easily, or midnight if emergency cases roll in. Some days you could be leaving earlier at 5-6, but it's not everyday. They try to balance it out or alternate it. but someone has to be around after hours. I suppose it's marginally better than the US where it's start work at 4-5 am.

FM has the best lifestyle. But you aren't likely to get city FM. For one there's a moratorium - you can't bill patients for medicare for 10 years after finishing school. And they also require PR before you can even apply to the city FM college.

So that leaves rural FM. Where most international students and IMGs end up.
Not everyone mind you, but most.

When you become an off-shore student, long story short, it limits the options you have for applying for residency. Maybe you're okay with this as a premed who hasn't gone through school yet. But you can't predict what you will find out as you go through rotations - maybe you thought FM was great as a premed. Then you do as a clinical student and work in as an intern (some states allow this) and decide it's not for you. You're more suited to be a neurosurgeon.
that's a one in a million thing to get whether as a domestic or international, but it is even harder for internationals.

You'll want to ensure you have the best opportunities open to you from the moment you apply to med school. Just in case you decide you want something competitive later. So only go off-shore, if you know you have no other options. You've applied and been rejected at home. Then indeed - off-shore and it's options are the only opportunities left to you. but you are picking the harder path, it's not something to go into casually. Can you be successful, yes, if you work hard and are willing to make some sacrifices. But I can't guarantee you'll be happy with what you get.

I'm going to stop here, as I've rambled way too long.

I do appreciate the response, and being realistic is necessary before a big move like this. The wife and I have put a lot of time into researching the ins and outs of immigration in Australia, along with the medical system. Our stay in the United States has been intended to be temporary since we arrived. I'll admit that our plan is a bit unorthodox, but we have gauged it to be a good step for both of our futures. It sounds like you have tried doing something similar to our plan, and I wouldn't mind hearing about your experience if you would like to share it. Thank you again.

I'm not as pessimistic as Domperidone -- where he/she's an '8' on the 'be scared ****less' scale, I'd be a 6 (if I were paternalistic, I might also be an 8, just to make sure people think themselves through).

My caveat to the above aside from turning the knob down slightly is that some people without ties here do and have come as a first choice (I'm one example), BUT you really have to be a romantic to do that, a serious adventurer who values the journey over fixed goals, whose attitude is...where life (and my abilities) take me, so be it. That is a completely foreign sentiment to most people these days, but it does still exist.

Thank you for the response Pitman, how was your experience landing a position? Is the current job climate in Australia that unwelcoming towards foreign medical students? We decided Oz to be a good choice due to a number of lifestyle factors and it being preferable to start our careers there rather than our home countries. We have been in the United States for a very long time and have become citizens, but we both do not see it as a place where we would like to stay for good. I would like to attend school in a state where I'd have the best opportunity to earn a position after, we'd really like to go on to WA but it seems as if the opportunities are few are far between for internationals. Is rural and work in NT the most realistic of scenarios? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. And thank you again for the response!

Thank you for the help Jedrek, any info and help is extremely helpful to the wife and I for forming an idea of the future. As a fellow premed I wish you best of luck and maybe we'll cross paths in Oz!

I do appreciate the response, and being realistic is necessary before a big move like this. The wife and I have put a lot of time into researching the ins and outs of immigration in Australia, along with the medical system. Our stay in the United States has been intended to be temporary since we arrived. I'll admit that our plan is a bit unorthodox, but we have gauged it to be a good step for both of our futures. It sounds like you have tried doing something similar to our plan, and I wouldn't mind hearing about your experience if you would like to share it. Thank you again.
Okay, where are you from originally then?
- what do you mean by "Our stay in the United States has been intended to be temporary since we arrived." You opened with you're American..

I don't share my personal experience on public forums. I'm also from another era - so whatever I was facing has already ramped up another notch. I don't wish for 'my story' to be mis-used as a sort of inspiration. This is neither the time or place.

Don't assume that mine or anyone else's experience is anything like yours. Although frankly, I can tell you right now based on the minimum info I know from your post, it's nothing like my experience. Also I'm not the one seeking advice based on my credentials or hurdles, you are.

International students in Australia form a diverse group. One common thread between North americans is that no one could get into a school domestically, off-shore was the only option, or they didn't bother trying to apply at home, because getting into off-shore was too easy a choice to let go. Regardless, doesn't mean this applies to everyone. I wouldn't belittle any particular premed by pigeon-holing their lives into one story.

i'll say this one last time, the job climate has been changing. Whatever you feel is happening today, can give you some idea, but in 4-5 years or more, it can utterly change. The general direction is one of oversupply as the schools got over zealous about profits from internationals. That is in government report and it's been responding accordingly these last 5 years. even should you get internship, it's getting harder for everyone across the board to either get into colleges to finish training or find consultant/attending positions. Except rural.

And for the last time - many premeds believe that they would enjoy rural medicine, but like all fields, it's not suitable to everyone. Like orthopedics isn't suitable to all. Rural populations deserve those that want to be part of their communities, not left-overs. No one deserves forcing something on themselves for the rest of their lives. No community wants a doctor there who has their career forced on them, not chosen.

Medicine is not one big vague blob. Part of the challenge is knowing what truly makes you happy and what your skills or personality is suited for. You're allowed to decide that one field is not suited to you and change things during residency, but you also have to accept that by doing that, you will stretch your years in residency. Some people are okay with this, some aren't. Training is already long in years in Australia.

I get so tired of repeating myself.
I'm out.

You've already made up your mind.
So, I'll leave it at that. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Jedrik, I don't think ACT is really a good choice anymore, as of 2018, temporary resident graduates of ANU are now priority 4

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, where are you from originally then?
- what do you mean by "Our stay in the United States has been intended to be temporary since we arrived." You opened with you're American..

I am European but I have been a US citizen for almost all of my schooling. So I am considered an American student when applying.

And why are you not applying for US MD or DO if you are an American citizen?

I have my personal reasons that I would prefer to keep to myself. Studying and practicing in Oz is the path I would like to take, that is my current goal. I do appreciate the forewarning of it not being an ideal situation and I am prepared to face the challenges. This is something I have had a great interest in pursuing for a long time.

I have my personal reasons that I would prefer to keep to myself. Studying and practicing in Oz is the path I would like to take, that is my current goal. I do appreciate the forewarning of it not being an ideal situation and I am prepared to face the challenges. This is something I have had a great interest in pursuing for a long time.
Sure, good luck.
It's not going to be what you think it is, given all you've done is visit and talk to one IMG. Is all I can say.

This path is best taken if it's your absolutely only path left or if you have a strong tie to the country.

I'll say this one last time, not for your sake but others in here - I choose not to share any personal details as:
1. I'm not the one seeking advice. I lose nothing no matter what I choose to share or not to share. I try to be as open as possible, but
2. I don't want people using my personal experience, to be taken out of context, or used as 'success' story. Because again, off-shore currently should never be the top choice. There is no doctor shortage, only maldistribution. Nor do I want people to use it as a moment of, you've been in my shoes before too, surely you know how I feel, c'mon bro - uh, no.
I'm not trying to be an ass or cheeky.

What I'm afraid of, is that premeds are picking this pathway for medical school because it is easy to do so. without the realization that this one choice is going to decide a lot of things about their future, before they even get there. Either you're resilient, (knowing you have 0 other options actually helps sometimes), or you become bitter for multiple reasons, one of which is you end up in a position you didn't want to be in - I've seen and still see the full spectrum. And it's going to be unlikely for you to end up working in a 'capital city'.

Anyways, you've rolled the dice, once again good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the response Pitman, how was your experience landing a position? Is the current job climate in Australia that unwelcoming towards foreign medical students?
The main hurdle will be getting internship. That said, it's not a massive hurdle. It is true that it was easier when I graduated, but even then, at the beginning of the student tsunami, all of us int'ls at UQ were worried we wouldn't get a spot. Since then, so far, essentially everyone in Australia who wants to stay has been able to. Further, student numbers have plateaued, and forecasts show nothing of the increases in numbers nationwide that have been seen from 2005-2014, which is what has caused most of the fears around prospects.

However, as has been said, anything *could* change. I personally don't think they will change radically for the worse, and I have been saying this for more than a decade -- the politics has helped to keep options open, and I believe will continue to do so for enough int'ls that ensures the viability of the student market. If I am correct, then the question of chances for internship would come down to whether I could be confident I'd perform, say, above 50%ile among int'ls, if necessary.

The main hurdle will be getting internship. That said, it's not a massive hurdle. It is true that it was easier when I graduated, but even then, at the beginning of the student tsunami, all of us int'ls at UQ were worried we wouldn't get a spot. Since then, so far, essentially everyone in Australia who wants to stay has been able to. Further, student numbers have plateaued, and forecasts show nothing of the increases in numbers nationwide that have been seen from 2005-2014, which is what has caused most of the fears around prospects.

However, as has been said, anything *could* change. I personally don't think they will change radically for the worse, and I have been saying this for more than a decade -- the politics has helped to keep options open, and I believe will continue to do so for enough int'ls that ensures the viability of the student market. If I am correct, then the question of chances for internship would come down to whether I could be confident I'd perform, say, above 50%ile among int'ls, if necessary.

Hi pitman, based on your post I assume you're an international student who studied at UQ and stayed in Australia after the 4y for internship. You mentioned it is a hurdle but not a massive one. Could you comment more on your experience? Did UQ provide any assistance to help you get an internship in Australia? Also, after you finish your 1 year internship, how difficult/competitive was it to obtain a residency in Australia for something like family med?

I'm on the record all over the forums for much of this. Much of my experience is dated, and so I only add what I believe isn't. Family medicine (General Practice here) is not terribly competitive, as prob 1/2 to 2/3 of those interested generally get accepted eventually (it used to be virtually all candidates got accepted, but now there are a lot more candidates). For other specialties, unless you do internship in a private hospital through the CMI (see below), you're at no disadvantage to being accepted for training. If you do internship in a private hospital, at least in Qld they're pretty good at setting you up for appropriate terms to help get into GP training or another generalist pathway, but for competititve specialties you'd generally have to switch to an appropriate public hospital after internship to have a decent chance of getting a training spot, just as domestics jockey for particular hospitals (e.g., RBH or PAH in Brisbane for ENT...). How easy or hard it is to get to an appropriate hospital depends on the specialty of course (e.g., for surgery, any of the public basic training hospitals would do, and smaller can be better if you can secure the desired elective terms).

UQ doesn't help directly with internship. The system doesn't work that way in Qld. The state attempts to take care of its own by its internship numbers and priority system for internship ballot, and thus gets internship spots for many of the int'l grads from Qld schools. The rest then generally get an internship through the CMI (Commonwealth) spots, again mostly back in Qld.

Last edited: