Studying in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

16mlep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergrad student at an American university. Recently, I have began considering the possibility of attending medical school in Australia, and ultimately practicing medicine in Australia. I have family in Australia, and the country very much appeals to me overall because of a more favorable health care system and better working hours. However, I do have some questions.

What is the average cost of attending medical schools there, specifically in New South Wales? (I have found Uni Sydney's tuition, but was wondering more about Uni Wollongong or Notre Dame)

How much are they typically paid, specifically emergency physicians? I don't care to make 500k; I just want enough to live comfortably, and I know Australia has a much higher cost of living. I have found some data, but it's hard to tell what is accurate.

What is the actual path to becoming a physician? The path in America seems far more clear cut, their's seems far more variable.

Than you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an undergrad student at an American university. Recently, I have began considering the possibility of attending medical school in Australia, and ultimately practicing medicine in Australia. I have family in Australia, and the country very much appeals to me overall because of a more favorable health care system and better working hours. However, I do have some questions.

What is the average cost of attending medical schools there, specifically in New South Wales? (I have found Uni Sydney's tuition, but was wondering more about Uni Wollongong or Notre Dame)

How much are they typically paid, specifically emergency physicians? I don't care to make 500k; I just want enough to live comfortably, and I know Australia has a much higher cost of living. I have found some data, but it's hard to tell what is accurate.

What is the actual path to becoming a physician? The path in America seems far more clear cut, their's seems far more variable.

Than you very much.

https://ama.com.au/careers/becoming-a-doctor

http://www.astermedical.com.au/outside-of-australia/doctors-salaries-australia/

Salary probably overstated but from what I've seen the lower amounts seem to be the average for each stage. The people who actually have experience can verify/comment