Stuff for incoming UNECOM students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any current UNE students could help a fellow UNE-To-BE on what books are really needed/recommended for first year. On that note what equipment/supplies are also recommended. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, Just a BUMP. I wanna' know too.;)

JJ

BOOKS:
On your first day of orientation, if the tradition holds, you'll get a booklet put together by the soon-to-be 2nd years describing each class, with tips on how people studied for it, and a list of books with percentages of how many people used it, etc. The Class of 2004 did that for us, we put one together for the 2006ers, and I'd assume they will be doing that for you.

You will also have sessions in orientation where the 2nd years will talk about the books and which ones they used, which ones are a "must", etc.

You'll get a free Netter Atlas if you sign up for AMSA. The cost of the Netter is more than the AMSA fee.

When you first get here, you'll think it's a flea market with all the tables of 2nd and 3rd year students selling their books. Wait until you get that booklet and have the orientation sessions before buying anything! Look at the copyright dates on the board review books, they often come out with new editions. That's the only kind of book they probably won't address at orientation.

Should you buy any books before coming? No. Buy a Grant's dissector the first day you get here so you can prep for your first anatomy lab, buy the AMSA old test booklet (I didn't have one 1st year and did fine, but 90% of my class did have them), and that's all you need that early.

MEDICAL EQUIPMENT:
It really doesn't matter if you have cheap stuff or expensive stuff or even equipment handed down in your family. They send you a list of stuff you need, and that's really all you need. Get a BP cuff with different cuff sizes though, I've run into a few situations with patients where my cuff didn't fit and had to borrow.

ANATOMY EQUIPMENT:
You don't need anything. They give you all the tools, and your lab partners and you will split the cost on a box of blades, and a "Dirty" Netter and Rohen atlases for lab. YOu also don't need a lab coat. You do need goggles, gloves, and scrubs. Buy two boxes of gloves.

If you come your first week and you have all this stuff, you'll do fine. I know you get that mailing with tons of advertised stuff that you'll supposedly die without (ifyou haven't received it yet, you'll know what I mean in a few weeks when you get it). Most of it is unnecessary and depends on your personal preference. I bought most of it because I wasn't sure and didn't want to end up without. Had I ended up without, I would have been fine.

Remember, this is only my opinion, but from that little packet, you should buy:

1) AMSA test booklet
2) Gloves
3) Goggles
4) Medical Equipment, all the stuff on the required list, and a BP cuff with different sizes

Books:
1) Grant's Dissector

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

GOod luck!

Doc Oc
UNECOM Class of 2005