Stupid question for people in cold climates!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jun99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a really stupid question to a lot of people, but I've lived my entire life in sunny Southern California, and I could really use some input: I have an interview in Denver coming up, where the temperature is supposed to be between 24-53 F. (This seems really cold to me.) For my Cali interviews I wore a fairly light skirt/jacket suit with pantyhose and pumps -- would this not work in Colorado? How do you dress warm and professionally at the same time? Would I be able to just wear an overcoat over my light-weight skirt suit? Would there be a place for overcoats once I was inside (I can't even imagine what I would do with a coat if I had brought one to my Cali interviews)

Again sorry if this sounds silly to people who are used to dealing with cold weather, but I'd really appreciate some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Not a stupid question at all. You can definitely wear an overcoat, I think they might look at you odd if you don't and it's really cold out :p They should definitely have a place for you to put your coat, no worries. People at my interviews in the cold weather wore suits are even just button down shirts. Don't dress too warm if you can't take it off when you're inside. A normal interview outfit will be fine, like a suit or a skirt. Good luck:luck: !

Haha, must be nice over there in SoCal...I'm freezin my nips off here in CT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore a black pea coat to my interview at UCHSC. I just carried my coat with me during the day and so did everyone else. You could probably also leave it in the main room where we first checked in at, also. The parking lot they suggest you park in is on the other side of the hospital complex . I had to walk two blocks to get to the SOP building so a jacket is recommended. If you're really sensitive to the cold you could also wear dress pants instead of a skirt for a bit of extra warmth. Hopefully things will be warming up over the next few days though. Good luck!

:laugh: Californians are so cute and delicate! Don't worry, Denverites are trained to watch for Calicicles. We carry anti-freeze for emergencies. You'll be fine - just wear a coat. ;)

:laugh: Californians are so cute and delicate! Don't worry, Denverites are trained to watch for Calicicles. We carry anti-freeze for emergencies. You'll be fine - just wear a coat. ;)

What are these coats you speak of? we dont have them in california, its sunny all year long.

If you are going to have to walk a lot outside and aren't used to the cold, I would definitely suggest dress pants instead of a skirt.

Where I live, it's about 0 degrees right now, and when I walk to class in jeans, my legs get numb. So 24-53 seems like a heat wave to me, but if you aren't used to it, you're better off dressing warm.

What are these coats you speak of? we dont have them in california, its sunny all year long.

We Californians wear big coats when the temperature is around 50. Right now, it's a chilly 60 degrees. It's so freezing cold. :D

Sheesh, it was -8 this morning. My glasses fogged up in a few seconds just by breathing normally. :eek:

Man Cali is so warn. I got to move there quickly!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Thanks for the laughs :p

If you wear a dress you'll want to be careful. Wearing tights/hose to keep the legs warm may sound like a good idea, but keep in mind how much time you'll be outside vs inside. If you get hot you'll want to be able to cool down. Layers is the key. Blouse with a nice sweater followed by overcoat. (Depending on temp) P-coats are very nice looking if you can get your hands on one. Wool is a nice warm choice as well.(Again keeping in mind you're going to be interviewing in this and that generally means you'll be hotter than you normally would be.) I'd say pantsuit to protect the legs would probably be your better choice.

...Layers is the key. Blouse with a nice sweater followed by overcoat...

Is a sweater (even a nice one) professional enough for an interview?

Also, I'm considering a pant suit, but I really love my skirt:( -- would people think I'm crazy for wearing one, or is it pretty common there to wear skirts this time of year?

Thanks for all your great input everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, I'm considering a pant suit, but I really love my skirt:( -- would people think I'm crazy for wearing one, or is it pretty common there to wear skirts this time of year?

Personally I'd pass on the sweater. Basically everyone there will be in a suit. It would be normal for someone to wear a skirt if the weather is nice that day. But the weather here changes so much, be prepared with a backup plan if the day turns out to be cold.

I've seen people wear skirts before and it depends on how much u like the cold weather. And seeing that u r from california u might not like it at all so id say u should wear the pant suits.

Nd yeah sweaters could also be professional depending on how u wear it. Turtle neck sweaters are good ( if u know how to rock them). And as they said layers is the key cos the weather changes up north like hell. And in the east we've seen some real bad weather in the past few days.

Im sorry, but 24 is not cold. Come talk when its 0 F. In buffalo, highs for the last 2 weeks are running about 15 with lows around 5

Did my gig in Montana, -7, Wind Chill Factor -47. Out all day in suit w/trench. Spit freezes in 5 seconds, eyeballs dark purple and frost on the eyelids/brows. Now that's freaking cold.

Ok fine, if you don't like the sweater you could go with an undershirt below the blouse if it's cold, just make sure you don't get lines. I've seen skirts mid winter in MT and WY, generally it just requires a nice thick pair of hose/tights to keep legs warm. Still doable if you're really attached to the skirt idea. Trench/overcoat will help as well. Just pray it's not wet or windy. That calls off all bets.

god, that reminds me of a time I went skiing when it was -20f with a windchil if -80. I would drink a soda on the lift and it would freeze before I could finish it.

But yea, I see skirts all the time and I always liked pea coats for a nice dress coat in the winter. Its its snowy, just bring extra shoes for outside walkin

I'm in the same situation. I live in South Texas and I'm moving to PA. I don't even really have a coat. The nearest thing I have to a coat is a sweatshirt hoodie thing. Any advice to someone moving up north would be helpful. I'm going to try to get a house with two forms of heat so if one fails, I still have a back up. Going to try to get close to school as well. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Northface, mountain hardware, Marmot all make amazing wind proof and water proof softshells and coats. They can be spendy but damn do they keep you warm and dry.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm from California and I will be interviewing in Maryland. Any advice on whether I should walk the 5 blocks from my hotel to the interview or pick a hotel that has a shuttle service? I usually wear heels to my interviews and I'm not sure if i should forgo the heels or not. 30 degree weather is something I definitely don't encounter much. Please help

Im sorry, but 24 is not cold. Come talk when its 0 F. In buffalo, highs for the last 2 weeks are running about 15 with lows around 5

My thermostat is reading 82 F at the moment. :p

Wear a skirt. It is not that cold usually this time of year. You will not be outside for hours on end. I live in Utah and wear heels and a skirt regularly, even when there is a foot of snow on the ground,not a problem. If you are really worried about your legs freezing wear nice dress boots w/ a skirt (you can hide warm wool sock in boots). If it is cold enough to want a coat, the interviewers will have worn one also. Usually most places will have a coat rack or room, it is not a big deal, just ask the receptionist or guide. The interviews will be used to people coming from areas w/ different weather, they will understand. There are bigger things to stress about. Relax and enjoy, and good luck!

I've lived in the midwest all my life, yet i can't stand the cold.
i'm taking my big ol' warm jacket with me for sure!
I imagine it's not a fashion show, and those who show up without jackets shivering and blue from the cold probably won't look well anyway :)

Iowa said their interview will be held inside....i'd hope they have a place for jackets....you can always ask, maybe they can put them with their own...or you could leave it in the car?
i dunno.

I'm in the same situation. I live in South Texas and I'm moving to PA. I don't even really have a coat. The nearest thing I have to a coat is a sweatshirt hoodie thing. Any advice to someone moving up north would be helpful. I'm going to try to get a house with two forms of heat so if one fails, I still have a back up. Going to try to get close to school as well. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My coat I had in Arkansas worked in Montana quite well. If you want to be sure though just get one when you move up there. I'm assuming you'd go in the summer/early fall. They'll have coats on sale pre-winter and your fellow pharm students can help you pick one out if necessary. When you look at living quarters check for insulation and dual-pane windows. Carpets and drapes also help with heat retention. Check furnace filter to ensure proper air flow when needed.

671077.jpg

It's sunny here in Denver a lot too. With just a little luck this thing called a coat won't be necessary. :)

what is that thing? all we floridians know about are flip flops.

Reactions: 1 user
Now I'm starting to see why there is a high number of applicants applying to Nova. :D

When I went to Oregon for my last interview, my sister and I must've looked nuts. Everyone else around us was wearing short sleeved tops or only two layers of clothing, while we spoiled Californians needed 2-3 layers with a jacket/coat on top.

I don't think anything's wrong with a skirt suit--I was going to wear one too. However, I was afraid it was going to rain--wearing a skirt in the rain/snow looks kinnnnda crazy to me. :D I'd check weather.com a day or so before your interview to get a better idea of what to expect. Good luck, and don't forget the mittens!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm from California and I will be interviewing in Maryland. Any advice on whether I should walk the 5 blocks from my hotel to the interview or pick a hotel that has a shuttle service? I usually wear heels to my interviews and I'm not sure if i should forgo the heels or not. 30 degree weather is something I definitely don't encounter much. Please help

Whne is ur interview at MD, presently we just had snow and its difficult to walk if all the sidewalks are not cleared, u could use the shuttle but 5mins outside in this weather is going to affect u before u get to ur venue, so the shuttle would be nice or if u can get a cab, no problem. take care.

My interview is this coming friday, the 23rd. I'm praying for good weather since I had called the admissions office asking for hotel advice and the lady said that the walk was not a problem..so I ended up booking the hotel that is close to the school but has no shuttle. I might switch hotels if I get really nervous about the walking. Thanks for the advice!

My interview is this coming friday, the 23rd. I'm praying for good weather since I had called the admissions office asking for hotel advice and the lady said that the walk was not a problem..so I ended up booking the hotel that is close to the school but has no shuttle. I might switch hotels if I get really nervous about the walking. Thanks for the advice!

Which hotel are you staying at? If it's on Colorado Blvd, you can take the bus #40 northbound. It runs every 10 minutes. Tell the driver you want to get off at 8th Avenue. The door to the school is literally 20 yards from the bus stop. Just keep walking straight ahead from the door of the bus and you can't help but run into the school of pharmacy building. Or you could always take a cab.

I'm not sure I recommend walking up Colorado Blvd. It's not a dangerous neighborhood, just not a pleasant walk (there's no sidewalk for a good stretch of it).

I think the weather on Friday is supposed to be sunny and in the mid-40s. We think that's pretty balmy, but you'll probably suffer. ;)