Stupid Question Number 2: What exactly are SMPs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBEAHDOCTOR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What degrees and concentrations fall under this category? How does doing well in one of these programs (eg. an MPH program) rate with ADCOMs? Are post-bacs prefered?

I am just rolling out the stupid question, but if I cant ask them here where can I ask them right? Right!?!? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Well, most of my information comes from this website, so take it with a rain of salt. But, from what I've gathered an SMP (special masters program) is basically a masters program (after you have done all the pre-reqs and taken the MCAT) that can essentially prove to the adcomms that you are capable of doing the science coursework in med school. It is usually indicated when you have a low undergrad gpa, but a fairly high MCAT. I think, basically, you would just be taking the coursework as if you were a med student, with med students, but you aren't a med student. This should be your last resort in gpa repair however, because if you do bad in one (below a 3.5) you basically have 0 chance of getting into med school at all. Around here, the general consensus is that you should do a post-bacc first, before thinking about SMPs if your gpas need help. This can be formal or informal. You can just sign up for science classes and start taking random ones, or some schools have post-bacc programs designed specifically for non-trad people trying to get into med school that haven't taken the pre-med prerequisites yet. All other grad programs (MPH, etc) aren't on the same level as SMPs and most people around here think they are basically worthless (in terms of helping your chances of getting into med school) because adcomms look at undergrad gpas, and graduate programs (other than the smps) have no weight on the undergraduate gpa. This is because graduate programs are known for heavy grade inflation. Hope this answers your question....

It does! Thanks! There should be like a SDN glossary or something.
So part II of my list of random stupid questions is:
If you do an informal postbacc, how many classes is considered enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
It does! Thanks! There should be like a SDN glossary or something.
So part II of my list of random stupid questions is:
If you do an informal postbacc, how many classes is considered enough?

"postbacc" just means any undergrad coursework you complete after you already earned your degree. it could be one semester that you do on your own, or a formal curriculum where you complete all the science prereqs.

"enough" is when you think your GPA is sufficiently improved.