Stupid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how in depth do the math questions go and is there physics on the DAT? please refrain from making fun of me for my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

The QR section on the DAT have predominantly Algebra type questions - it doesnt mean there will always be algebra questions - and expect some trig questions. A number of questions will be used in Physics format - to find distance/speed/area etc... but nothing to scare the hell-out of you. They are all very standard - and carefully designed to test how you can handle them during the given time.

so why doesn't everyone get mid 20's on this thing??? i mean, i know it's a marathon test, but the material (with the exception of o-chem) really doesn't sound that tough. or am i just totally oblivious to the difficulty of the exam??? i mean i see all these people on here posting their ENGINEERING, NEUROSCIENCE, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY, ETC degrees. those majors aren't easy so i would conclude that those postee's are quite intelligent. i'm just a little confused. i'm just a little ol' kinesiology major here and if these guys and gals are barely posting 20's, how the hell am i supposed to do better?

If you have a MATH-based Degree (Engineering) - then obviously you have an advantage over someone who doesn't (Biochemistry etc). It all depends on how your background with MATH is. If you study hard - it doesnt matter what your background is - you CAN get 20's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by UMDeeMan
so why doesn't everyone get mid 20's on this thing??? i mean, i know it's a marathon test, but the material (with the exception of o-chem) really doesn't sound that tough. or am i just totally oblivious to the difficulty of the exam??? i mean i see all these people on here posting their ENGINEERING, NEUROSCIENCE, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY, ETC degrees. those majors aren't easy so i would conclude that those postee's are quite intelligent. i'm just a little confused. i'm just a little ol' kinesiology major here and if these guys and gals are barely posting 20's, how the hell am i supposed to do better?

In answer to your question, it's all about how the DAT is scaled. I got a 25 on the organic chem section. A 25 means that I missed around one or two questions. As far as your major is concerned, I'm a poli sci major. If you study hard you can achieve a competitive score.

There are 40 (correct me if I'm wrong) questions including word problems. And yes, those problems are sort of easy. They give you so little time (I forgot how much), and you're not allowed to use a calculator. So, it's not easy to score mid 20's (at least that's what happened to me).

FYI, the reason everyone doesn't get 20's is because the ADA uses standardized scoring to determine your DAT scores. So even though there isn't one sitting every 6 months, you are still scored relative to your peers (within a given timeframe). The average is set to 17. So no matter what, roughly half of all test takers are going to get 17 or lower (and half get above 17).

In regards to QR section, even though most concepts are algebra, geometry, trig (none of which are covered in too much depth), one of the harder parts of this section is that it's the last section. And no matter what, you get tired at the end of the long exam, which makes you take longer to finish problems. So I'd also recommend practicing full length pretest to make sure you account for the fatigue factor.

Check out ada.org for testing details. There's a lot of good info:
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/scoring.asp

thanks bud :clap:

i still won't be taking the test for 3 more years, but good advice

thanks bud :clap:

i still won't be taking the test for 3 more years, but good advice

This is great. I am posting the 9th post to a thread entitled "Stupid Question" :)

3 more years? In 3 years, this info might not be any good. There may be significant changes to the test by then.