Sub 3.0 gpa 3rd yr student, advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsdocDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should be able to graduate with about a 2.8 in all honesty - maybe 2.9. I'm just stressed bc I really wanted to be over the 3.2 mark. How worried should I be?

What advise can you give me going fwd to residencies, good GPA friendly externships? Assuming I'm a hard worker, good socially/ politically, and clinically/ procedurally skilled.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be a good extern. Answer questions. If you don't know the answers look them up and report them back. Pick your externships wisely and visit as many programs as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I should be able to graduate with about a 2.8 in all honesty - maybe 2.9. I'm just stressed bc I really wanted to be over the 3.2 mark. How worried should I be?

What advise can you give me going fwd to residencies, good GPA friendly externships? Assuming I'm a hard worker, good socially/ politically, and clinically/ procedurally skilled.

Thanks
You answered a lot of your own question right there. And just to add to what newfeet said, prepare yourself to get rejected at a few programs that you apply to during clerkship applications. There are quite a few programs that require 3.0 GPAs and/or high class rank and some that don't require it, but really look down on below a 3.0. I would echo what newfeet said, pick your externships wisely and be realistic. Once you get the externships, it won't completely erase the lower GPA, but it will make it a much more equal playing field. If there are specific programs or locations that you are interested in, there are probably some people on here that would have some insight into them so feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a 2nd year, so I'm not sure where in the process you guys are, but have you heard back yet about what clerkships you will be going to next year? I would think that any program that invites you for a clerkship would obviously be saying that they have interest in you despite your GPA. As everyone else said, just kill it while you are doing clerkship and let the pieces fall where they may...

I would think that any program that invites you for a clerkship would obviously be saying that they have interest in you despite your GPA. As everyone else said, just kill it while you are doing clerkship and let the pieces fall where they may...
I obviously can't speak for any program other than mine, but for the most part if we offer you a clerkship, your GPA really won't be an issue once you get here. I did hear of a program telling a colleague "We'll accept you as for a clerkship, but your GPA is too low to be accepted for our residency." While there are always exceptions, if you get accepted for a clerkship at most places, you'll be almost on equal footing with every other student who comes through the program.

Reactions: 1 user
I obviously can't speak for any program other than mine, but for the most part if we offer you a clerkship, your GPA really won't be an issue once you get here. I did hear of a program telling a colleague "We'll accept you as for a clerkship, but your GPA is too low to be accepted for our residency." While there are always exceptions, if you get accepted for a clerkship at most places, you'll be almost on equal footing with every other student who comes through the program.

I would echo this, just be aware that there certainly are programs who will grant a clerkship even though they have zero intention of considering you for a residency spot. Those programs may even grant you an interview, which is unfortunate. However, those programs are a very small minority and for the most part getting a clerkship means you have a shot.

Reactions: 1 users