Sub I: Away vs. Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted702733

I'm planning out my 4th year schedule. I have time to do max 3 rotations/ SubIs in total. I'm interested in radiology, but at my school, you need to have done an elective rotation (also 4 weeks) in rads before you can do the SubI. I've lived in 1 place my entire life, and I want to see what the rest of the country has to offer. So I'm very interested in doing away rotations.

1. How important is it to do a subI at your home institution?
2. I know that my school will count SubI's and other school's electives as fulfilling the pre-req, but is it "bad" to do an away Sub I before you do one at your home institution?
3. Is it bad to not do a SubI at your home institution?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not skip your home sub-i. Your home institution is your flagship, the dept you are most likely to impress and develop a good relationship with to extend into your advocate during the application process. In fact, you need to develop a great relationship with your home dept and PD. In a field as small as radiology, this is especially true. Skipping your home sub-i because you want to "see the country" is naive. You will be on a sub-i, not wandering around town. Yes it's radiology so it's chiller than any other sub-i, but away sub-is are auditions so you need to put your best foot forward and do everything extra that you can. You can take vacations anywhere you want on your own free time and have a much better time.

Do not do an away sub-i before your home sub-i. You will be uncomfortable in your new sub-i role no matter where you are, so if you're going to stumble, stumble at home with people you either already impressed or still have a chance to impress later on. Stumble for 1.5 weeks out of a 4-week away? That's the impression they'll have of you likely forever and it's what will go on your letters.

Start your elective at school ASAP, I'm guessing that'll be July. Home sub-i in August. Away sub-i in Sep/Oct, in time for ERAS submission. Assuming you are pretty free for the rest of 4th year, especially in the spring, go ahead and do as many aways in exotic places you've never been to for the rest of the year. Better yet, don't even bother having clinical responsibilities and just take vacation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I misspoke regarding the whole seeing the country bit. I know it's not a vacation - I was just trying to figure out how important it is to do away rotations so that more programs get to know you. What you said about stumbling at home being better than stumbling away from home makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice!

Thank you! I misspoke regarding the whole seeing the country bit. I know it's not a vacation - I was just trying to figure out how important it is to do away rotations so that more programs get to know you. What you said about stumbling at home being better than stumbling away from home makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice!
It is popular for radiology students to do a good number of sub-is because it's cool to see other programs and work in different environments. Also, compared to other sub-is, rads is chill af.
However, it's not a set in stone that you need to do this, unlike in other fields such as EM. Make sure you are able to handle your home workload first before you put your neck out there. Try to do your away(s) somewhere you would apply for residency if you want to make the most of it. Not as meaningful to rotate at program A, wow everyone, then not apply there. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user