Subject-based vs. Systems-based approaches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have you used and what were your thoughts? To me, it just seems so rational to go with the subject-based approach because that's how my classes were taught and that's how First Aid is organized. But, obviously, questions often integrate topics and ideas--and answering such questions might be easier for those who used the systems-based, integrated approach. I know that Kaplan has a set of organ systems books. Please post your experiences and/or thoughts. Thanks!

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad.

I have been taught through the systems-basis. It actually is more understandable. Getting the focus of all the disciplines for ex. in cardio: learning the pathologies alongside the physiological problems that causes it and then learning how to treat the disease. It's like getting the whole picture in one shot. I like this format because I feel that this way you get all you need in a nutshell. This is my point of view. If anyone else that has been taught through the subject-based way please give us insight. :)

I also intend to prepare system by system for the Step One. Integrating Path, Phys, Anat/Histo,Embryo, and Path for each system seems ideal for the way that I learn. I am not sure how best to do this; ideally, there exists a book similar to first aid but thats organized by system rather than subject. I have been unable to find such a book. I have heard mixed reviews about the Kaplan System-based books. Any suggestions??

Thanks

I think system based is the way to go for step 1. In the exam you won't find a lot of questions which test your knowledge in one isolated subject. I actually LOVED the Board Simulator Series (BSS) by Gruber. I also had Kaplan's system based review but it was simply to much, and full of questionable information (i.e. vancomycin for B. Cereus food poisoning?!?) Didn't use it. If you decide to go system based the BSS is the way to go. Do the 5 books learning the answers and you will nail step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by zgold
I also intend to prepare system by system for the Step One. Integrating Path, Phys, Anat/Histo,Embryo, and Path for each system seems ideal for the way that I learn. I am not sure how best to do this; ideally, there exists a book similar to first aid but thats organized by system rather than subject. I have been unable to find such a book. I have heard mixed reviews about the Kaplan System-based books. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Step up is the book that you are looking for. It's not as detailed as firstaid, though, but I like it.

Hey NewGuyBob,

Would you let me know what the Board Simulator Series (BSS) by Gruber is ?? Question Book or Computer questions??

Thx

Zgold,

I used the books cause I got them from a friend, but as far as I know the books and the CD are the same thing.

First Aid and UCV (Underground Clinical Vignettes) are a good way to go i think. I'm not big into just memorzing tables, but for those of you who are, i would say Step Up is pretty good. i know First Aid has Tables as well, but for me, they give "chunks" or info, sometimes in sentence (or even paragraph form) then they may have an accompanying table as well. Step Up has way too many tables for my taste, without as much "text" as First Aid. different strokes for different folks i guess

So........how are people going about a system's based review?

Besides, step-up is there any other resource designed that way?

later