Submit or wait for recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumfreshaer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know many D.O. schools (esp. the ones I'm applying to) look very favorably upon D.O. LORs. I've contacted two D.O.s to shadow in the next few weeks and I'll ultimately ask for a LOR from each. If they're kind, they'll likely understand my position and be willing to write a last second LOR.
I've finished my AACOMAS and I'm ready to submit. If I submit now, I run the risk of my schools reviewing before these LORs are submitted. This said, should I submit now or wait until these letters are secured? What's more valuable: a few weeks of rolling admissions or two D.O. letters?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know many D.O. schools (esp. the ones I'm applying to) look very favorably upon D.O. LORs. I've contacted two D.O.s to shadow in the next few weeks and I'll ultimately ask for a LOR from each. If they're kind, they'll likely understand my position and be willing to write a last second LOR.
I've finished my AACOMAS and I'm ready to submit. If I submit now, I run the risk of my schools reviewing before these LORs are submitted. This said, should I submit now or wait until these letters are secured? What's more valuable: a few weeks of rolling admissions or two D.O. letters?

Generally, schools don't really review letters until you submit a secondary, from what I understand. So a few things:

1) It takes time to write a letter, moreso for a quality letter. So I wouldn't bank on them turning a letter around in a couple of days or so.

2) They may not want to write you a letter after just a couple of days of shadowing. But they might, so it's worth a shot.

3) Many DO schools prefer a DO letter, but will accept MD letters in lieu of DO. Find out which ones that you are interested in do this, and submit ASAP assuming you have a MD letter.

Basically, you want to apply as early as possible with as good of an app as possible. I would say go ahead and submit, which will start the verification process (assuming you haven't done a throwaway already) and get to work on the letters. Make sure you have a letter of some sort by the time you start submitting secondaries. More experienced members may have different opinions, but this is just what I would do. Good luck!

Generally, schools don't really review letters until you submit a secondary, from what I understand. So a few things:

1) It takes time to write a letter, moreso for a quality letter. So I wouldn't bank on them turning a letter around in a couple of days or so.

2) They may not want to write you a letter after just a couple of days of shadowing. But they might, so it's worth a shot.

3) Many DO schools prefer a DO letter, but will accept MD letters in lieu of DO. Find out which ones that you are interested in do this, and submit ASAP assuming you have a MD letter.

Basically, you want to apply as early as possible with as good of an app as possible. I would say go ahead and submit, which will start the verification process (assuming you haven't done a throwaway already) and get to work on the letters. Make sure you have a letter of some sort by the time you start submitting secondaries. More experienced members may have different opinions, but this is just what I would do. Good luck!
From what I understand, D.O. letters are icing on the cake... Really great tasting icing. I already have 5 letters from professors and research mentors submitted, so submitting now wouldn't be detrimental to my app. I'll go ahead and submit to my last choice school then add the others when the time comes to ask for that LOR. These are younger doctors (one is a resident), so they may have more sympathy. I'm applying to the alma mater of the other.

From what I understand, D.O. letters are icing on the cake... Really great tasting icing. I already have 5 letters from professors and research mentors submitted, so submitting now wouldn't be detrimental to my app. I'll go ahead and submit to my last choice school then add the others when the time comes to ask for that LOR. These are younger doctors (one is a resident), so they may have more sympathy. I'm applying to the alma mater of the other.

It sounds like you're good to go then! I would definitely do that, if you get a DO letter or two, then perfect...you're already submitted and you can just update your app and AACOMAS will forward them. If not, you've already got several letters and your app will already be in...kind of a win-win! Keep in mind, AACOMAS has a limit of letters that can be submitted (6, I think). And many schools won't take more than 4-5, so just something to be cognizant of. It sounds like you'll do just fine with/without the DO letters!