Submitting AMCAS Application One Day Late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Un Cupo de Cafe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

While I've been working on my AMCAS app for the past month, I find that my personal statement still needs a few more revisions.

I am incredibly curious to her fellow SND members' thoughts on submitting the app a day or two late.

How significantly will this impact my chances of admission later on?

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ur done. Not gonna be a doctor. Sorry.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, we are not kidding. Your chances of admission are slim to none if you fail to submit on the first day.

Reactions: 3 users
1 to 2 days means absolutely nothing. Weeks may mean something and months most certainly have a large impact.

Take your time on your personal statement and submit your application when it's ready.

Reactions: 6 users
1 to 2 days means absolutely nothing. Weeks may mean something and months most certainly have a large impact.

Take your time on your personal statement and submit your application when it's ready.

I appreciate this; thank you for setting my mind at ease! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I submitted in August last year and got accepted. You're fine.

You're application wouldn't be late. Today was the opening of submissions, not the deadline

I may be wrong but I heard something like the first week or week and a half go in the first batch. Someone correct me if I am wrong? @LizzyM

Nobody can say what the exact cut-off will be, but it will probably be the case that the applications submitted in the first week or so are all verified before the date upon which they start releasing your AMCAS to schools. Since all of the applications that are verified by that date (I don't know exactly what it is this year) will go out on that date, there will be no difference at all between applying today, tomorrow, or the next day, as long as you're verified by the first date they get sent out.

That being said, even if you aren't verified by the first day they go out, it really won't have an effect on your chances. If your application gets verified any time in July, you're in great shape.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All!

Thank you for explaining how the process operates. I was under the impression that the best candidates submitted the app as soon as it opened (akin to how MCAT registration was a race to get a seat at once's preferred testing center).

I'm happy to hear that the AMCAS is different. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a significant difference between how long it takes for amcas to verify an application during the first day of the cycle and a week past the first day?

Hi All!

Thank you for explaining how the process operates. I was under the impression that the best candidates submitted the app as soon as it opened (akin to how MCAT registration was a race to get a seat at once's preferred testing center).

I'm happy to hear that the AMCAS is different. ;)
Yeah, if the "best" candidate submits 1-1.5 months after the open date, they will still be the "best." I wouldn't submit in August though.

Is there a significant difference between how long it takes for amcas to verify an application during the first day of the cycle and a week past the first day?
That difference will be inconsequential

Generally, the time it takes to get verified will continue to increase up until around September. It increases especially quickly in the first month because so many applications are coming in and they aren't able to verify them as quickly as they come in, so the "line" to get verified gets longer and longer. Generally speaking, it'll take a few days to get verified if you submit on the first day and maybe a couple weeks to get verified if you submit a week after it opens. While this means that the time that it takes to get verified more than doubles between the first day and a week from the first day, it doesn't matter at all in the context of the timing of your application. As long as your application is verified by the first day that they started sending the AMCAS out to the medical schools (I'm not sure what day that is this year), yours will go out on that first day whether it was verified today or the day before they start sending out verified applications. Additionally, it also isn't important whether your application goes out on the very first day they start being sent. If your AMCAS is verified by the end of July you're in great shape.

Long story short: yeah, it will probably take significantly longer to get verified a week from now than it will right now, but it won't hurt you at all in your application process, so don't submit now if you aren't ready.

Everybody remember that the only thing that really matters is when the schools receive your secondaries. That means all of the applications that are transmitted to the schools on the 24th are in the exact same boat, regardless of the order in which they submitted the AMCAS. Then the onus is on you to get the secondaries turned around fast. For what it's worth, I submitted my AMCAS in mid June last year and was still verified in time to be in the first batch of applications sent out to the schools.

Everybody remember that the only thing that really matters is when the schools receive your secondaries. That means all of the applications that are transmitted to the schools on the 24th are in the exact same boat, regardless of the order in which they submitted the AMCAS. Then the onus is on you to get the secondaries turned around fast. For what it's worth, I submitted my AMCAS in mid June last year and was still verified in time to be in the first batch of applications sent out to the schools.
Agreed. And like I said in my earlier post, it doesn't even matter if you're in that first batch or not. A person who gets verified a week after the first batch goes out is not going to have any worries about a bunch of interview slots being gone by the time he/she submits his/her secondaries, assuming the applicant turns the secondaries around in a timely manner.

Duuuuuude.

SDN kills me sometimes.

Generally, the time it takes to get verified will continue to increase up until around September. It increases especially quickly in the first month because so many applications are coming in and they aren't able to verify them as quickly as they come in, so the "line" to get verified gets longer and longer. Generally speaking, it'll take a few days to get verified if you submit on the first day and maybe a couple weeks to get verified if you submit a week after it opens. While this means that the time that it takes to get verified more than doubles between the first day and a week from the first day, it doesn't matter at all in the context of the timing of your application. As long as your application is verified by the first day that they started sending the AMCAS out to the medical schools (I'm not sure what day that is this year), yours will go out on that first day whether it was verified today or the day before they start sending out verified applications. Additionally, it also isn't important whether your application goes out on the very first day they start being sent. If your AMCAS is verified by the end of July you're in great shape.

Long story short: yeah, it will probably take significantly longer to get verified a week from now than it will right now, but it won't hurt you at all in your application process, so don't submit now if you aren't ready.

Thank you. Since I have yet to take my MCAT, I won't really begin applying to all the schools until early August. But I must apply to at least one in order to get verified. The primary reason is because my schools Pre Med Committee will only begin to compose the committee letter once they receive that I have a verified application, and I am hoping that they can start as soon as possible.

Thank you. Since I have yet to take my MCAT, I won't really begin applying to all the schools until early August. But I must apply to at least one in order to get verified. The primary reason is because my schools Pre Med Committee will only begin to compose the committee letter once they receive that I have a verified application, and I am hoping that they can start as soon as possible.

I'm in the same situation. I wanted to get at the front of that line, so I submitted at 9:30 yesterday. I had my application all nice and polished several days ahead of time and I wasn't rushing anything, so why not just do it right away?

That is a good plan. The most important thing for you will be getting your secondaries submitted quickly after you receive them. If you complete your secondaries in mid-August, you should be doing just fine. However, if you sit on them for a while and submit them in mid to late September, there will be a good amount of interview spots gone before your completed application even arrives. I'd recommend pre-writing your secondaries in the time between now and early August when you start adding all of the schools you intend to add.

That is a good plan. The most important thing for you will be getting your secondaries submitted quickly after you receive them. If you complete your secondaries in mid-August, you should be doing just fine. However, if you sit on them for a while and submit them in mid to late September, there will be a good amount of interview spots gone before your completed application even arrives. I'd recommend pre-writing your secondaries in the time between now and early August when you start adding all of the schools you intend to add.
Thank you, I will probably end up pre writing them after my MCAT on July 8th, and hopefully have it completed by early to mid August when I recieve my scores.

6/2 is not late.

6/30 is not late.

7/30 is not late

8/30 is not late.

Going past Labor Day? That might be a problem.

Hello!

While I've been working on my AMCAS app for the past month, I find that my personal statement still needs a few more revisions.

I am incredibly curious to her fellow SND members' thoughts on submitting the app a day or two late.

How significantly will this impact my chances of admission later on?

Thank you for the feedback! :)

Brief Update:

I submitted my primary application on 6/12/2016; AMCAS just verified it earlier today (6/29/2016). Thus, verification time was about 17 days.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

6/2 is not late.

6/30 is not late.

7/30 is not late

8/30 is not late.

Going past Labor Day? That might be a problem.

To be perfectly honest, I would say if you haven't submitted your primary app by August, you're late.

June xth (first day opens) and up to 2 weeks after is early.

June 20th to July 10th is good.

July 10th to July 31st isn't late, but it's not early.

August 1 to Sept 1 is late.

Past sept 1 is very late.

I still haven't submitted mine yet...need that final push. It is not terribly late at this time, correct?

To be perfectly honest, I would say if you haven't submitted your primary app by August, you're late.

June xth (first day opens) and up to 2 weeks after is early.

June 20th to July 10th is good.

July 10th to July 31st isn't late, but it's not early.

August 1 to Sept 1 is late.

Past sept 1 is very late.

And if you push each of those months forward by 1, then that would be a rough timeline for complete apps, yes?

First day to submit secondary (~June 23rd ish) and up to 2 weeks is early (school dependent)

Before August 10th is good

August 10th to August 31st isn't late but not early

Sept 1 to Oct 1 is late

Past Oct 1 is carribean