1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Submitting AMCAS mid August. Need tips and help with schools.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hung93, Aug 13, 2015.

1. hung93

Pre-Medical
    3.867 GPA biology major, 32 mcat (11/11/10), Asian, Virginia, 80 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering, some research, active members of two sports clubs.
    I know submitting my AMCAS mid August is hella late but I would appreciate inputs/tips on how I can somwhat make up for my late submission. I will start on secondaries immediately.

I need help with finding MD schools that are likely to offer me an interview. Tuition and location are not that big a deal but I would prefer instate or somewhere near the east coast.

Thank you so much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fedekz

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would say it is late, but not hella late. Your application will be verified in Sept sometime, pre write your secondaries to whatever schools you end up applying to and you can be complete at most of them that send secondaries quickly by the end of Sept. which is pretty much on time (not early, but not late). SDN gives off the impression if you don't submit June 1st through mid July that you might as well submit your app to the shredder.

4. gonnif

gonnif Only 770 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The reason for early submission is making sure all the dependent steps/items that follow are completed. So while August is late, if your verification is done by early September, and your LORs, MCAT, and Secondaries are full and complete by mid to late October, you are slightly to moderately behind. The only major impact to that is availability for interview slots. Likely this will have little negative impact on your chances.

5. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The volunteering is rather low and how much clinical exposure do you have beyond shadowing? Hospital volunteering etc? Lack of clinical exposure and volunteering are two of the biggest things that trip people up with stats that are clearly good enough for medical school.

Your chances by far are best at your state schools. I believe VCU interviews close to 40% of their IS applicants and Eastern Virginia is somewhere around 30%. UVA is obviously far more competitive(and your MCAT is 3 points below their median) and Va Tech is also quite competitive due to their really small class but both are worth a stab.

If you want to take a stab at others this cycle here are some other names to look at
    Georgetown
    GW
    Wake
    Tulane
    Tufts
    Temple
    Drexel
    Quinnipac
    Jefferson
    Oakland
    Western Michigan
    Medical College Wisconsin
    Loyola
    Rush
    Rosalind
    NYMC
    Albany
    Penn State

I'll add combined with what will be a late app and clinical and volunteering experience that might be lacking you will probably put yourself in a much better position if you wait a year and beef those two things up. But if you take a stab this cycle those are some names to consider and focus on the VA schools.

hung93 and strictlyanon like this.