Submitting AMCAS mid August. Need tips and help with schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hung93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.867 GPA biology major, 32 mcat (11/11/10), Asian, Virginia, 80 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering, some research, active members of two sports clubs.
I know submitting my AMCAS mid August is hella late but I would appreciate inputs/tips on how I can somwhat make up for my late submission. I will start on secondaries immediately.

I need help with finding MD schools that are likely to offer me an interview. Tuition and location are not that big a deal but I would prefer instate or somewhere near the east coast.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it is late, but not hella late. Your application will be verified in Sept sometime, pre write your secondaries to whatever schools you end up applying to and you can be complete at most of them that send secondaries quickly by the end of Sept. which is pretty much on time (not early, but not late). SDN gives off the impression if you don't submit June 1st through mid July that you might as well submit your app to the shredder.

3.867 GPA biology major, 32 mcat (11/11/10), Asian, Virginia, 80 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering, some research, active members of two sports clubs.
I know submitting my AMCAS mid August is hella late but I would appreciate inputs/tips on how I can somwhat make up for my late submission. I will start on secondaries immediately.

I need help with finding MD schools that are likely to offer me an interview. Tuition and location are not that big a deal but I would prefer instate or somewhere near the east coast.

Thank you so much.

The volunteering is rather low and how much clinical exposure do you have beyond shadowing? Hospital volunteering etc? Lack of clinical exposure and volunteering are two of the biggest things that trip people up with stats that are clearly good enough for medical school.

Your chances by far are best at your state schools. I believe VCU interviews close to 40% of their IS applicants and Eastern Virginia is somewhere around 30%. UVA is obviously far more competitive(and your MCAT is 3 points below their median) and Va Tech is also quite competitive due to their really small class but both are worth a stab.

If you want to take a stab at others this cycle here are some other names to look at
Georgetown
GW
Wake
Tulane
Tufts
Temple
Drexel
Quinnipac
Jefferson
Oakland
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
NYMC
Albany
Penn State

I'll add combined with what will be a late app and clinical and volunteering experience that might be lacking you will probably put yourself in a much better position if you wait a year and beef those two things up. But if you take a stab this cycle those are some names to consider and focus on the VA schools.

Reactions: 1 users