submitting app mid-July

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So originally, I was going to take the MCAT June 1st and then work on my app for throwaway school/verification, but I moved it to June 30th. But literally the day after, I will be on a 24-hour long flight to visit my grandmother. I'll probably get done with the app mid-July. So, I was wondering if should take a few days here and there out of my MCAT studying to work on my app and hopefully submit before MCAT (seems unlikely) or earlier July. Should I do that or just focus on studying and then apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Submit in mid-July is likely that your app will be verified around late August (this is usually the peak period). According to other posters, if you can have your secondaries done and all of your other materials in by Labor Day, you will still be considered on time.

If your taking the MCAT June 30th then I recommended submitting the application June 1st which will allow it to be verified by July 1st. Which is in time to submit secondary early. Timing is pretty important imo as long as your application is good. Obviously if you had to pick between good app vs earlier, good is better, but both is best.

If you sumbit application on June 30th instead of June 1st then you will be verified by ~August 1st and will be in the middle of the pack when submitting secondaries.

The issue that I have with this strategy is splitting time, focus and energy between MCAT prep and AMCAS polishing. Many students who go this route are already behind the prep curve.

That makes sense, didn't think of that. Probably would be best to focus on MCAT or app one at time. If you managed to complete the app before june that would make it give you a month of free time of just studying assuming you didn't do anything else. Although this is slight gamble since you don't want to sacrifice you mcat score, ultimately its your call if you think you could still prepare for the MCAT enough.