Submitting DO Primary Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted876933

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll save judgement for more experienced member about whether you are competitive for those schools, but I can tell you that Wright State's secondary is very easy/quick, but idk if money is a factor for you. If not, I'd just do all of them, why not? Albany's wasn't too bad either if I remember right.

I suspect you will be told you are competitive for all DO schools. From what I’ve read, submitting everything before Thanksgiving for DO is fine (unofficially).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't sleep and thought I would throw my concerns out to the void and hopefully wake up to some adivce.

Non-Trad 3.25 SGPA (3.5 aacomas) 3.15 OAGPA, horrible transcripts plenty of W's and F's, DIY PB 3.88 70 credits upper-level science. 516 MCAT
Weak ECS: 220 hours of clinical volunteering, 100 current, will be 300+ by matriculation, community service non-clinical. 300 hours paid clinical, but left job after only 3 months. Currently teach night classes for Kaplan, but for the most part I am and have been a stay at home father for the last 3 years.
Shadowing: Great multiple physicians and specialties primarily primary care 130 hours. Have MD and DO LOR
MD School complete at 8/20:
Oakland-B
Drexel
Temple
Tulane
Tufts
NYMC
OHSU (OR Resident)
Colorado SOM
UToledo
Wayne
Wake
Emory
Pitt
VCU
SLU
KECK
ROSYF
Creighton
Penn
Vermont
Have Secondaries for, Should I complete if I can do it this week?
Hofstra
Quinnipac
Albany
Rush
Wright State
TCU-UNT (just received secondary)
Were these MD apps donations because I was complete in mid-August?
I am thinking of submitting my DO primary this week. Is this late enough to affect me negatively? How many, and which DO schools should I apply to have a good shot of multiple interviews? Should I almost certainly get multiple DO interviews with my stats if I apply to the Top 15? I think I am prob SOL on MD when I consider my app on its merits.
You aren't late for DO as long as you have your apps in by Thanksgiving. You are good for any DO school, I recommend PCOM, KCU, DMU, NYIT, CCOM, and really any other DO school that you like, just not the ones that Goro recommends against.

Save your money with the Rush secondary. They expect obscene amounts of clinical and nonclinical service. Most applicants have hundreds if not thousands of hours in these areas.
Do your GPAs include your post bacc grades?

SOL? SOL at MD schools? No, you are not SOL by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, you performed poorly in undergrad. But you reinvented yourself, earning a 3.88 in a 70-credit DIY postbacc. That puts doubts about your academic ability solidly to bed, especially when capped off with a 516 MCAT. There are MD schools that like nontrads and reward reinvention; @Goro knows of a few. You need to apply to DO schools; ten should suffice and you should get several interviews. You are also a competitive, though not stellar, MD applicant. Have some self-esteem; you’ve got an honest shot at a decent number of MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re welcome. I’m sure adcoms like @gyngyn, @Moko, @LizzyM, @Goro, and @Faha would agree with me regarding your MD chances: you’re a reinventor. You need DO schools on your list. However, you are very far from being out of the running for MD and have a solid shot.

Reactions: 2 users