Submitting ERAS before step 2 score release (potential fail)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballbay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Step 2 score will be released after the ERAS application cycle opens. Looking back on it, I may have failed. This is not one of those posts - I have good reason to think this given that I failed Step 1. I passed Step 1 on my second attempt (national mean score).

I understand that it would look really bad if I submitted my ERAS with a failed Step 2 score because I would have two red flags. But if I submitted my ERAS with only a Step 1 score, would I get fewer interviews? I had to retake Step 1 and my retake wasn't outstanding.

Wondering if it's worth taking the chance to wait till my Step 2 comes out. If I fail, I'm considering taking a year off and reapplying next year when I have a passing score. I'll still get screened out from a lot of programs, but would two passing scores be better than one (despite multiple failures)?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if I were a PD and you had a previous step fail I would want to see CK

Submit your app now, and you can choose whether to assign a new USMLE transcript later. If it comes out and you passed, I think you should definitely assign a new transcript immediately. If you didn't, I might consider withholding.

Thankfully, I'm not in your position but if I were, this is how I think I would handle it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to update your application with the fail. If you do fail you can wait until you pass the next tine to update your application. Its common to not have a Step 2 score in until much later in the application season

I submitted on Sept 15th and my CK didn't come out until maybe two weeks later. I don't think it significantly affected my application.

Due to my Step 1 failure, I had to use up all of my vacation time to retake it, so my 4th year rotations are now back to back for the whole year. If I fail Step 2, I won't have a block of free time to study. So even if I submit ERAS before my score comes out, wouldn't I be screwed for this cycle if I failed? Am I basically stuck with applying next year?