Hi everyone,
Can anyone recommend a particular medical journal for a pre medical student? My mother has asked me what I want for christmas and I can't help but think about asking for learning tools that will actually benefit me in the future. Any other christmas gift suggestions (i.e., mcat resources, etc.) are welcome.
Thanks.
Hello. I will provide some honest feedback.
There is nothing wrong with getting a personal subscription to a medical journal. However, the issue here isn't getting a subscription, but could the money being spent to get the subscription be put to use for other things that are important. If you come from a rich family, then ignore my next sentence. Why not ask for a new pair of pants, some nice ties, nice dress shirts, nice dress pants, and the like.
People are being ignorant in this thread. They are assuming that you have access to these journals just because you go to college. That is not the truth. Some small colleges don't even subscribe to any medical journals...yes, that is the truth. So people need to stop being so damn ignorant.
If you want access to these type of journals, locate the closest big university (I assume you go to a small school...otherwise you wouldn't be asking a question like this), save a PDF file, go home and read them.
I work professionally as a medical writer. I only have a B.S. degree in biology and I have trained myself to understand all of the terminology used in all fields of medicine. I make $5,000 a month doing this. I write on topics ranging from how botox works all the way to first trimester screening for Down syndrome, congenital defects, heart surgery, and so so so much more.
The NEJM is good, but if you really want to understand a topic, you can't just read A SINGLE ARTICLE ON THE TOPIC...you need to read several so you can understand what is not known, the contradictions between two different studies, and so much more.
My advice is to search PubMed for topics that you might find interesting or search the table of contents of major journals that you may find interesting and pick out the articles that you want. Read the abstrcts to see if you may find the article worth your time to read. I must warn you though, some introductions in the journal articles are so short that you may not get anything out of the article.
I have access to over 7,000 medical and science journals for my job.
If you want to understand the mechanisms of a molecule in a disease, you read the science journals, if you want to know what the latest treatment method is for urinary tract infection, you read medical journals. As a doctor, you will read the medical journals and not so much the science journals (you are free to if you want to be the most competent doctor you can be----but your time will be limited).
Once I get my masters degree I'm going to hire a student to help me with my writing career so I can do both careers.