Successful Transfers After Non-Renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was one person I know who transferred into our psych program. I found this out later but basically internal medicine program non-renewed him for pgy-1 due to knowledge issues and this person would always make mistakes. The program director was super nice and approved him for credit and person found a pgy-2 psych position at our program because we had a open position due to someone leaving for family issues. Personally, the guy is doing well in our program and he said he was having issues because of how diffuclt IM was. Anybody know or heard any other stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it happens.

We had a non-renewed surgical PGY-2, transferred into FM residency.

Why do you ask?

I just wanted to know. Also this thread can be used to give others inspiration who is going through this now.

Reactions: 1 user
If we get informed about non renewal and PD is willing to give good LOR. Can we swap to some other program

I know a few people who transferred into another program after a non-renewal. They either contacted their old medical schools and obtain a pgy1 or pgy2. Or they contacted their friends who are in different programs.