Sucking up to profs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shocker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a little rant here, sorry.

As I watch the same group of people suck up to every prof and go out of their way to ask questions or give the famous: "So, it works like ______" just to talk, I want to puke.

I can't believe these people can live with themselves.

Also, how can the profs stand it, let alone enjoy it as they seem to.
I know it is stroking their ego but they must see through this!

Damn I hate watching that ****.

Members don't see this ad.

shocker said:

As I watch the same group of people suck up to every prof and go out of their way to ask questions or give the famous: "So, it works like ______" just to talk, I want to puke.

Well think of it like a hoe giving a Bj to a famous actor or a superstar. Why would they mind they are getting a bj out of a deal. Think of it this way, people like those that feed their ego and also profs can get something out of it. Such as get that student to do some research for them. The med student may get a good reference letter. Who wouldn't like their ego stroked as you say. Particularly doctors in general have good sized egos and a little inflation never hurt nobody. Just chill and go with the flow. The more you stress about this the more it will irritate you. When you are an attending, you can call those asskissers out, or who knows maybe you will like the stroking your ego when you are a big shot attending. Time will tell.

i am not in med school...yet. But I can relate to what you're saying. Especially when the ass kissing is so obvious for all to see...its like "look at me, I am peacock, watch me strut"

It use to irk me. I finally realized one day that those people are pretty much average is not sub average. Part of it is to make get a good reference letter, another part may be that it makes them feel smart to put on a show in front of others without being called on it.

Now I just look at these types and laugh quietly to myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
shocker said:

Chill out A$$Munch...some people just learn better by 1)Going to class
2) Asking questions 3) working through complex problems by talking their way through them. Why do you let them get to you? Are you insecure that....maybe you should be asking more questions?

You concentrate on your own needs...let others concentrate on what they need!

i always appreciate their gunner-ness after test blocks when they challenge all the questions i missed :D gotta love the students that boost your grade :love:

I had some gunners f*ck me over in a class (btw, they aren't top of the class, just @ssholes), so I am using the @ss-kissing trick to make them look bad in other classes. What goes around comes around.

Call me what you want, but I have always been liberal with my info and willing to help others. But I draw the line when it comes to gunners. They are there to screw you (me) over. Know who they are early and preferably do something pre-emptive, or, if you are too late, do it out of revenge.

Yes, I'm childish. I have regressed since I have begun med school. Hopefully, I will grow out of it.

Termwean said:

2) Asking questions 3) working through complex problems by talking their way through them. Why do you let them get to you? Are you insecure that....maybe you should be asking more questions?

Very mature.
I have no insecurities and I am making exceptional grades: all A's and 1 B.

Maybe since I get things fairly easily and clearly you don't(I am sure you do the things you listed above) I have irritated you. Kudos to me.

Most things in medical school are not "complex", at least not in my 1st year up to this point. I never sit and look and say I don't know why that happens. I generally just have to keep pushing through the mass of knowledge.

Termwean said:

Class of 2009, oh I see. You have not experienced it yet. Enjoy.

shocker said:
Very mature.
I have no insecurities and I am making exceptional grades: all A's and 1 B.

Maybe since I get things fairly easily and clearly you don't(I am sure you do the things you listed above) I have irritated you. Kudos to me.

Most things in medical school are not "complex", at least not in my 1st year up to this point. I never sit and look and say I don't know why that happens. I generally just have to keep pushing through the mass of knowledge.

So why get so pissed off when someone in your class is not as smart as you? I Have not started med school yet......undergrad was pretty easy for me..but I asked questiions if I needed to and I will do the same in med school. Not to suck ass....just to get the answer.

BTW...after 10 yrs in the military..It takes alot more than anything you can dish out to piss me off...I'm gellin' Laid back....w/ my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

Termwean said:
So why get so pissed off when someone in your class is not as smart as you? I Have not started med school yet......undergrad was pretty easy for me..but I asked questiions if I needed to and I will do the same in med school. Not to suck ass....just to get the answer.

BTW...after 10 yrs in the military..It takes alot more than anything you can dish out to piss me off...I'm gellin' Laid back....w/ my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

I have no problems with people asking questions. Sometimes people talk to profs during and after class just to be talking, not to understand concepts better.

Not really trying to ruffle your feathers, only replying to the A$$MUNCH bit.

BTW..I worked for 4 years before going to u-grad as a nobody manual laborer for a construction cleanup outfit. So, I am as grounded as they come.

I don't think I am smarter than anyone in my class, I just don't like when people SUCK UP!

understood...noone likes an asskisser

lilmo said:
i always appreciate their gunner-ness after test blocks when they challenge all the questions i missed :D gotta love the students that boost your grade :love:

:thumbup:

H$ll, I have no idea what these types can possibly come up with to ask each professor after EVERY SINGLE LECTURE. No lie, at my school the same freakin' crowd will cluster around the instructor like the twelve disciples - after every single lecture, clinical correlation or anything where someone is on the stage and they are not. I didn't notice this weirdness at first but now I am like: dude, what's up with this? The way I feel, I am a big girl and if I have a question I will try and look it up myself first and see if I can work out the answer on my own. Why? 1) because I don't want to annoy the profs and 2) (and this is the better answer) because I learn a whole heck of a lot while I am researching the answer. One little question can teach you a whole lot as you search for the reason why you don't understand it. ;)

Sometimes I will ask the prof a question but it's not too often. As I observe it, these types in my class are the same ones who will also ask the stupidest questions just to ask a question; some of the guys will even challenge the profs like they don't even think the instructor is right - but they are .... It's so disrespectful to me to try and shoot someone down in front of an audience.

Yeah, those people are extremely annoying, but sucking up to profs will get them absolutely nowhere, at least in the pre-clinical years. As far as I can tell, letters of recommendation come only from 3rd/4th year teachers, not basic science teachers. and if your school is like mine, the same teacher rarely lectures for more than a couple of classes, so even if the teacher loves someone, it probably wont make any difference in their grade.

shocker said:

you don't think they are just trying better understand the issue at hand... perhaps like when you meet somone you are suppose to say, "nice to meet you dr. bob" to help you remember their name.. :confused:

My class had an unofficial rule that no questions were to be asked in the last ten minutes of lecture to prevent the lecturer from eating into our break time. Most questions are asinine, anyways, and asked by people who either already know the answer or could just as easily look it up themselves or ask the professor after lecture.

Besides, since most lectures are just glorified trivial pursuit, even if the professor manages to clear up some confusion over some insignificant topic it is still an insignificant fact which in the great scheme of things means nothing. I'd rather have a full ten minute break then have a meaningless part of the TCA cycle clarified.

It can get even worse on rotations. Never, ever, ask a question. If you really want to know you can make a note and look it up later (what I did). Asking a question of your attending while rounding opens you up to all sorts of unpleasantness, from pimping to being asked to prepare a short, five minute presentation for the team. I tell all the third years who I rotate with that it is best to stand mute wearing a look of polite interest.

Funny story. Some resident not even on my service tried to pimp me the other day on some subject of which I had an imperfect grasp. After contemplating venturing a guess I just said, "I don't know but if you want," pointing to my Scutmonkey Clinical Reference Manual, "I can look it up for you."

This made him irate. I volunteered that I don't memorize trivia which made him even madder. He kept firing questions at me to each of which I replied, "I haven't a clue." Finally he threatened me with some kind of second-hand bad evaluation (he knew a guy who knew a guy who knew my attending). I couldn't help but laugh.

First of all, and I only realized this recently, you don't have to kiss anybody's ass or accept any mistreatment at anybody's hands. Let's suppose that some resident is treating you like dirt. I guarantee that if you take him aside and threaten to report his harrasment he will back off. We are all men (and women) and it is pretty hard for a resident, when called to the carpet, to explain why he felt it necessary to call you a name or treat you with anything less than respect.

Fortunantly I have had a lot of good residents and the few times they have zinged me with some sarcasm I richly deserved it for doing something really stupid.

Second, I'm going to graduate in three months, fourth year is all pass/fail, and I don't believe anybody was ever failed for a rotation because they didn't know the answer to a pimp question.

Let me just say, however, that most residents and attendings pimp you as a teaching tool so you shouldn't go around with a flippant attitude. "I don't know" is acceptable but most good residents and attendings at least want you to think about it for a second or two and offer a reasonable answer even if you are wrong.

Panda,

I like your answer, but since I realize it is better to shut up, I will do so.

;/

noncestvrai

very well said Panda Bear. i'll reiterate the point that medical students should not take crap from anyone else. good-natured sarcasm is one thing (and expected), but blatent disrespect is unnecessary.

also for all you premeds, MS1s, MS2s - be warned - if you're the type to ask questions all the time and you've been doing that all your life, and you decide to continue to do that on rounds as a MS3s, watch out. attendings and residents are very keen to see through all the BS. that may have worked throughout high school, college, etc. but once you're on rotation, it'll be different. they may not say anything to you directly like "stop asking too many questions, etc." during the month, but come evaluation time, their comments many not be as stellar as what you've think you've earned. from what i have been told, evaluation comments can go along way of putting down a student without blatently stating that the student sucks ass.

Ah, Panda Bear right on as usual. :thumbup:

This is why I almost never ask questions and will try and research it myself. The working world teaches you this pretty quick.

I also like the attitude of "I don't know the answer but I will look it up" and not bs-ing around. Good one with the a$$**** resident. I'll try and remember that for third year. ;)

You guys may not think this is funny but at the time I couldn't stop laughing about it even though I was well and truly chastised.

As you may know, on a Surgery Rotation you will probably go to clinic a few times a week where you will see new patients and follow up on old ones. Surgeons are always brief and concises and during clinic they like to be even briefer and more concise.

Since Surgery was my first rotation and I was still in the Second Year mode, I had seen my first patient and was writing a detailed History and Physical on the clinic sheet and taking a long time to do it.

My Chief Resident, one of the best at our hospital, looked at me, looked at the note I was writing and said, "Are you going to make a career out of that?"

Well, I thought it was funny.

TheProwler said:
Who cares?

You are taking things out of context. So whomever I quoted and directed my comment to was where my statement was directed, jag-off.