Sufficient Prep Materials For a Month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NigerianBull87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am just looking for some feedback as to how you guys think my MCAT Prep materials are. I am taking the exam July 18th and understand that my time is very limited so I have narrowed my Preparation materials down as follows:

Biology: EK Book and 1001 Q's
Orgo: EK, TPR, Kaplan and 1001 Q's
Physics: Nova Physics and 1001 Q's
Chemistry: Berkeley Review Books and 1001's
Verbal: EK book and 101 Passages

16 Mini MCAT's
20 Practice Exams

Do you guys think that the materials I currently have are sufficient for one month of study or is there something out there that I am missing or I should supplement? I would strongly appreciate some feedback from some of you veterans.

Take Care and Good Luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

That seems like a decent amount of prep, you are going to have to study hardcore for the next six weeks. You could try to condense the 10weekEK study plan to six to a 6wk plan so that you have more of a set schedule. I am basically in your shoes, I plan on taking it July 18th also but I am using kapla

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you been studying?

You have basically described the study plan I have been doing since late April.

I really think that you have an immense amount of material that would be very hard to finish in 45 days. If you can do, more power to you and perhaps you can. I just think that the plan is A LOT of material in 45 days. I mean, I've been working on that same material for 40 days already and I'm just 3/5 done.

I'm not saying it's a bad plan. It's great. Just beware that you have A LOT of material on your plate.

Oh, and also -- why so much Orgo? I would trust EK completely for Orgo. Get rid of TPR/Kaplan Orgo and maybe add Kaplan Bio since it is so good if you wanted. But EK Bio is sufficient if you don't want to add it.

Also, which practice exams are you taking?

I think those are good. You may want to exchange a few Kaplan ones for TPR ones. They both have strengths and weaknesses. It might be more well-rounded overall that way.

How long have you been studying?

You have basically described the study plan I have been doing since late April.

I really think that you have an immense amount of material that would be very hard to finish in 45 days. If you can do, more power to you and perhaps you can. I just think that the plan is A LOT of material in 45 days. I mean, I've been working on that same material for 40 days already and I'm just 3/5 done.

I'm not saying it's a bad plan. It's great. Just beware that you have A LOT of material on your plate.

In all honesty I kind of just started studying this Sunday being June 1st. So Far I have finished the entire Orgo EK book and approx. 400 Q's and have done 3 Lectures in Biology w/ their corresponding Q's in the 1001's.

My goal is to complete a section (BS, PS, VR) a week.

I think those are good. You may want to exchange a few Kaplan ones for TPR ones. They both have strengths and weaknesses. It might be more well-rounded overall that way.

I can't get my hands on any yet, but will definitely try and do so. Thanks.

In all honesty I kind of just started studying this Sunday being June 1st. So Far I have finished the entire Orgo EK book and approx. 400 Q's and have done 3 Lectures in Biology w/ their corresponding Q's in the 1001's.

Oh wow that is an impressive amount of material to have finished. You did the Orgo EK book in 2 days? If you can do that, then the amount of material you plan to finish is very reasonable.

How good is your background? I mean, do you already know Orgo/Phyics/Bio/Chem very well?

And you can get TPR exams from the MCAT workout book (2 CBT exams plus 70 passage-based questions per topic (vr, orgo, bio, etc) in the book). And there are 4 TPR CBTs in the big TPR review book

Oh wow that is an impressive amount of material to have finished. You did the Orgo EK book in 2 days? If you can do that, then the amount of material you plan to finish is very reasonable.

How good is your background? I mean, do you already know Orgo/Phyics/Bio/Chem very well?

And you can get TPR exams from the MCAT workout book (2 CBT exams plus 70 passage-based questions per topic (vr, orgo, bio, etc) in the book). And there are 4 TPR CBTs in the big TPR review book

Actually yeah. I have done the entire book w/ the first 2 lectures in the 1001's which is like 400 problems. My background is actually very rusty in all honesty. I am a typical pre-med student that crammed for exams since entrance. So when I took my diagnostic, AAMC 5, I actually got a 16 lol. Not that I did not know anything, but the recall was terrible. So I need all the help I can get. Nonetheless, you think that my tactics to approach every section, minus the excessive orgo would suffice?

I think that as long as you go through the EK Orgo book throoughly and understand everything in there, you will be fine. Kaplan Orgo is way way more detail and is unncessary, IMO. I think that understanding EK orgo would be just fine, but really do it! If you have a rusty background (like me) and did it in 2 days, I have to wonder how thoroughly you did it.

And, yes, your plan seems fine. If you can execute it, you're in good shape, I think.

You mean to tell me you finished all of that already!!!!!!! You seriously need to tell me your secret. How may hrs did you study a day? You definitely want to get through the material as quickly as possible so you can work on the old exams.

You mean to tell me you finished all of that already!!!!!!! You seriously need to tell me your secret. How may hrs did you study a day? You definitely want to get through the material as quickly as possible so you can work on the old exams.

Well my job gave me off from June 1st till the exam and I have no summer school or other priorities till then. So on Sunday I studied with a friend from 9AM till 3 AM, lol. Monday I studied from 9AM till 12 AM, and am going to do this till the 18th.