Suggested travel timeline for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych0000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for a clinical psych doctoral program. The interview is one day -- a Friday. I was put in touch with a grad student in the PI's lab who will host me. I'm not sure what to do about travel plans. Is it common for people to fly in a day early to see the city, or stay a day after the interview? Does "host" mean provide a place to sleep the night before the interview? Or would it be odd to stay the day after with the student? Just generally -- What is the suggested travel timeline for interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A host will typically provide a place to stay the night before the interview, yep. As for staying the night of, again, I don't think it'd be very unusual. Many folks seem to fly out early the next morning, particularly if there are social activities planned for after the interview day.

Edit: Forgot to mention the actual time line. I think getting in on Thursday and leaving Saturday would be fine. If you plan to arrive earlier or stay later (e.g., to check out the area), I personally would plan on getting my own accommodations for those day(s).

Last edited:
Thanks! Any other forum members have thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as my experience goes, "hosting" does mean having you stay at their place. I think you should do whatever you are most comfortable with as far as arriving/leaving, but agree that extra time might be better off booked on your own.

For example, I have an interview in January that has a Sunday evening social with the interview day on Monday. Due to the flight schedule on Sunday, I'm worried that if I leave that day I may not make it to the social, and if I do...I'm worried I'll be tired from traveling, uncomfortable, etc. So, I'm choosing to fly in Saturday instead so that I'm settled, and have a chance to collect myself before everything begins. So, I plan on getting a hotel at my own expense Saturday night, and then staying with a graduate student Sunday night, and probably Monday night, leaving early Tuesday.

What wootar said is a perfectly acceptable way to go. Just do not abuse the host's generosity. Another student in my program had an applicant inform them that they were staying until Sunday (got in Thursday for social dinner, interviews on Friday). That's just weird and inconsiderate. The night before and the night following the interview day are safe to assume. Outside of that, if you have some extenuating circumstance, ask very politely and you will probably be accommodated, just don't take it for granted.

I would agree with what wisneuro said about accommodations. I would make additional accommodations at a hotel if you want to stay longer than 1-2 nights, such as to get a better understanding of what life may be like living in that city (you may be there for the next 3-6 years, so it's helpful to know if you will like it). Also, it may be helpful to consider how you are when you're anxious. For me personally, before a high stakes event (e.g., defending prospectus, attending internship interviews), I have found it helpful for my anxiety to be alone without the pressure of needing to be a polite guest. It also allows me to spend time reviewing my materials, researching more about the program and town, practicing my responses to possible questions, and doing some self-care (e.g., at home facial, bubble bath, going to bed early, having a nice dinner). If you do end up staying with a host, it may be helpful to communicate in advance that you would likely need a little bit of time the night before to prepare (if this is something you feel you will need). Best of luck on the interview!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! :)

Also, it may be helpful to consider how you are when you're anxious. For me personally, before a high stakes event (e.g., defending prospectus, attending internship interviews),

Yeah, I've tested this. I've spent time before alone in a hotel before some big event ..poor sleep, yet despite that very little anxiety ..somewhere else with lot of distraction/socialization... poor sleep, and lot more anxiety. i think there is something to be said about having time for yourself and sort of being able to be in the "zone". it doesn't mean you won't be stressed..but i've found my mind is racing a lot less.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, grad students are usually happy to host for 1-2 nights, and I'd recommend staying with a host to get a feel for the program. I would say the night before and the night after the interview are usually fair game (especially if there are activities both of the days - there will usually be a dinner/social the night before interviews, and interviews are usually a full day). However, I would caution you to ask to be hosted for more than 2 days. I used to coordinate housing for applicants, and you would be surprised what people request - one person once asked for 5 nights! It was excessive and couldn't be accommodated. We guarantee one night and offer a second 'as needed'. All students in my program were happy to host, but it is also a busy time of year for all of us, so I'd just caution you to not outstay your welcome. Also, be prepared for how much your host can/cannot be around due to their own research/clinical work/teaching/etc. And, at least at my program, students DO provide feedback on applicants if there are any major red flags or if they really think the applicant is a good fit, so kindness goes a long way. :)