Suggestions needed........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiko

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Does having a BS or BA in Chemistry help towards getting into Pharmacy college?I just need some ideas.I think I'll have to wait for a year to pursue my PharmD degree(green card issue;))...so in the mean time I thought maybe I can do a BA in chemistry.Do you guys think it is worth doing or is it just a waste.And also...if you think it is ok to do....how long does it take to finish a BA in chemistry?Can it be completed within a year.Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

First, it can't hurt your chances of getting in. Second, it could help you in the long run to better understand some of the topics that will be covered once you get into Pharmacy school. I think lots of schools look favorably upon applicants with a degree also.

I don't think an ACS (American Chemical Society) degree can be finished in one year (depends on how many chem classes you've already taken). I know a lot of schools offer non-ASC chem majors. I'm getting a B.S. with a major in Pre-Health Sciences Chemistry. It focuses more on biochemistry and was really easy to complete. I declared it about a year and a half ago and finished it in December. Now, I'm just waiting to actually graduate!

Good luck!

You can get in somewhere with either one if all other aspects of your application are great.

But.....if.....you don't get into pharmacy school - your BS will get you a job & your BA probably won't get you too far.

But...again, its your choice. No amount of education is wasteful. It just comes down to what you want to do with it or what you must make of it if your first choice doesn't pan out.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
Does having a BS or BA in Chemistry help towards getting into Pharmacy college?I just need some ideas.I think I'll have to wait for a year to pursue my PharmD degree(green card issue;))...so in the mean time I thought maybe I can do a BA in chemistry.Do you guys think it is worth doing or is it just a waste.And also...if you think it is ok to do....how long does it take to finish a BA in chemistry?Can it be completed within a year.Thank you.

It depends on what schools you'll apply to. The difference between the prereqs and my BS were mainly Physical Chemistry (2 quarters), and BioInorganic, Cell Physiology (1 quarter each). But I applied to Oregon State and Western which require 1 semester/two quarters of Biochem, Molecular Biology, and upper division Microbiology. You'd also have to consider all the GE's required for a BA/BS that aren't required for Pharm School entrance. The Science classes could easily (time reference not study reference) be finished in 1 year. The other stuff (History,Government,Multicultural/Gender requirement,Social Sciences requirement, Natural Science elective, Humanities Elective, etc) could take much longer.

Hi All,
Thanks for all your reply.I think I'll either do a BS or BA in chemistry(this fall).Once again,Thanks for all your suggestions.:)

Hello,

I think if you take some summer classes, then you can finish your B.A. in one year. I think it's possible. Also most of the classes for B.A. and B.S. are the same, so if you want to you can get a B.A. first and then apply to pharmacy school. If for some reason you do not get accepted then you can finish your B.S.

I am in the B.S. program at University at Buffalo, if you want to compare their programs B.A. and B.S. here is the website:
http://undergrad-catalog.buffalo.edu/academicprograms/che.shtml
I assume that other schools have a similar curriculum.

Hello PharmDream,
I have a doubt.....I'am actually in the process of completing my AA(this summer).......and then do I need to apply for the BS or BA program or is the procedure different?Actually I've finished most of the pre-requisites for the BS program except physics and cal 2.Now can I directly enroll and do the requirements for BS.......Any help would be appreciated.Can I apply in the fall for the BS program?Thank you.

Hello PharmDream,
I have a doubt.....I'am actually in the process of completing my AA(this summer).......and then do I need to apply for the BS or BA program or is the procedure different?Actually I've finished most of the pre-requisites for the BS program except physics and cal 2.Now can I directly enroll and do the requirements for BS.......Any help would be appreciated.Can I apply in the fall for the BS program?Thank you.

I'm not sure entirely what you're asking here. If you're getting the AA then I'd assume you asking about transferring to a 4-yr to get the BS. If that's the case, you'll have to check the schools transfer requirements. It's not nearly as intense as the PharmD entry, but can be as strict. Most schools won't take a CC transfer without having completed the 4 major GEs, English, Algebra, Writing, and (sorry, it's not coming to me) Most will allow you to test out. I'm not sure how ESL works if that's the case. It doesn't sound like you have any deficiencies in those areas, so I'd say you should be able to transfer to 4 year, declare major and graduate, but the problem is most 4 years require a certain number of units be completed at the school before they'll let you graduate. That number of units is typically more than you could finish in just 1 year.

Hello PharmDream,

When I enrolled into the B.S. program I already has Calculus 2, Physics, and all the electives done, so for me if I could have gotten a B.A. in one year. Then again I don't know if I would have wanted to do that because I would have had to take more credits each semester and my GPA could have possibly went down.

About the acceptance into the program:
At the University at Buffalo if you want to apply without having all the prerequisites for the program the system will put chemistry as the intended major, and you can still take the program classes. I don't know what kind of system your school has. I would recommend meeting with the advisor for the program to discuss this.
Another problem that you might have if you have not taken calculus 2 yet, is that calculus 2 and even calculus 3 (which can be taken at the same time as physical chemistry) are prerequisites for physical chemistry. In a big university like UB nobody checks to see if you have met the prerequisites for chemistry classes, and I know people who got away without taking it (although I don't think that they can graduate without taking it). It would be a lot harder too if you don't have the prerequisites.

So far I have a good GPA(overall 3.89 and math-science 4.0).....I think taking extra classes(BS or BA) could lower my GPA:scared:.I'am sure I don't want to risk it.Thanks a lot for your suggestion:).I'll just finish my pre-requisites and PCAT for now and maybe wait for my Greencard process:sleep: to be done.Thank you.

So far I have a good GPA(overall 3.89 and math-science 4.0).....I think taking extra classes(BS or BA) could lower my GPA:scared:.I'am sure I don't want to risk it.Thanks a lot for your suggestion:).I'll just finish my pre-requisites and PCAT for now and maybe wait for my Greencard process:sleep: to be done.Thank you.

That's a good idea because Physical Chemistry SUX!!!

That's a good idea because Physical Chemistry SUX!!!

What?!? Phys Chem was my favorite...but then again, I was the only one in my class who actually liked it....

What?!? Phys Chem was my favorite...but then again, I was the only one in my class who actually liked it....

wow! I hate that class with my whole heart! Maybe you had a good professor. In my case for PChem I, I had a professor who was like 80-90 years old. For PChem II the professor is about 80 as well. They both like their math. It's more of a math class than a chemistry class. I can't wait 'till it's over! On top of that it's bringing my GPA way down.

Maybe you should go into pharmacokinetics then sounds like you'd enjoy the Pchem background. For me though, PChem did suck. Of course I also had the 70 year old who actually had Henry Eyring (of the Henry Eyring Theory) come into his class while he was teaching back in the 70's. This guy was so old school, the first 3 weeks were pretty much all calculus, partial derivatives, deriving equations. So lame.