Suggestions needed !!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mou1279

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated with B.S/2.6 GPA. Taking the PCAT in August. Since I didn’t apply to any pharmacy schools this year, I have a year off. So, I was thinking taking some graduate courses. Maybe this will increases my chances somehow. Friend of mine told me instead of taking few courses; get into a pharmacy technician program. I am freaking out about applying to pharmacy school with this GPA. I am really confused and scared about what to do next:confused::confused:. What should I do to increase my chances to get in to pharmacy schools? Any kinds of suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks:)!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should concentrate on bringing up your gpa by RETAKING some of your classes. Sure you can become a technician, sure you can take graduate courses, but your gpa won't go up by itself. Keep in mind, most schools have a minimum gpa requirement, which is a 2.8 gpa. In other words, if you don't meet this requirement, they won't look at your application (although it varies from school to school so be sure to check with the school you plan on applying to).

Do not make the mistake of thinking that a pharmacy technician program will get you one step closer into pharmacy, it won't. It will give you the experience to where you can decide if pharmacy is the right career for you, but the majority of the technicians out there do not become pharmacists.

Go to a JC/CC, and retake all your science and math classes that you scored a C or lower. You will bring up both your science and cumulative gpa if you do so. As for your pcat, if you aren't enrolled in classes atm, I'd definitely start studying for it, and make sure you know the major sections well.

good luck.

Last edited:
I agree with Mr. Blah, definitely concentrate on raising your GPA. Since you have a BS which means lots of credits, you need to take a lot of classes to move your gpa at all... so see if you can retake those pre-req classes and if theres time available, take upper level classes too... you can always try to look for a tech job doing part-time and see if you really like pharmacy. you don't need a tech training course to become a tech.

For now though... your GPA def needs to be in the 2.8-3.0 to even get interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take more classes or retake classes, this is a must. While you're taking these classes get a part time pharmacy clerk job for the experience. You might find while you're there you don't even like pharmacy and change your mind. I've seen that happen more than once!

Hi, I graduated with B.S/2.6 GPA. Taking the PCAT in August. Since I didn't apply to any pharmacy schools this year, I have a year off. So, I was thinking taking some graduate courses. Maybe this will increases my chances somehow. Friend of mine told me instead of taking few courses; get into a pharmacy technician program. I am freaking out about applying to pharmacy school with this GPA. I am really confused and scared about what to do next:confused::confused:. What should I do to increase my chances to get in to pharmacy schools? Any kinds of suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks:)!!

There are two reasons why you need to retake your science classes.

The first reason everyone mentioned is to raise your GPA to 2.8. Its true. Many Pharmacy School minimum GPA to apply is 2.8. Realistically, many schools will consider your 2.8 GPA only if it came with 80+ or even 90+ PCAT composite score. (so you must perform tremendously well on PCAT)

The second reason why you should retake your science classes is to help you prepare for the PCAT exam. (which I think is just as important as first reason since PCAT will make or break you)

Since you currently have 2.6 GPA or C average, either 2.6 cumulative or science GPA, either way, you probably had difficulties with many of your classes. I highly recommend holding off on the PCAT until you are done retaking your science classes. Assuming you perform well on your retakes; then, should you start preparing for the PCAT.

good luck:)

p.s. I agree with mrblah. Your first priority is to retake your classes. Hold off on the Tech license. Keep in mind, the majority of applicants who get accepted don't have any pharmacy work experience at all. Improving your GPA is paramount and a high PCAT score will be your life savor.

Last edited: