Suggestions on how to spend the year before starting medschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted859689

One of my friends suggested living in another country. I currently work at le Starbucks, tutor, and volunteer every week. Suggestions? I do have some $$ saved, but don’t like to spend if I don’t have too. e.g. I’ve been living off free Starbucks food for the last 3 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Explore the world before you're trapped in the world of medicine for the next 7 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Following this thread, because I also have no idea what to do..

Reactions: 1 users
Do whatever you want. You're going to be in crazy debt and crazy busy until you're done with residency. Use this time to reward yourself with some bucket list things you can afford. Always wanted to hike the Appalachian trail? Now's the time. Backpack Asia? Do it.

Reactions: 1 user
If I get accepted this year, I will take my first international trip to Asia next spring/summer. Besides that big trip, I plan to spend more time with my friends and family before I have to pick everything up and move away.

If you are accepted then legit do nothing. People always say travel. Cool, if that’s your thing. But if there is some video games you’d love to binge, or some road trip you’d like to take, or whatever your favorite hobby is. I continued to work and just enjoyed family time. I wouldn’t change that for the world. I cherish that way more than any backpack trip around Europe could offer. Especially with some elderly grandparents that are no longer here.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Personally I’m planning on working until~april and then using the remainder of my sick days/pto to essentially get paid to travel to all of the spring Break destinations I missed out on in undregrad

Reactions: 1 users
Get into a good, sustainable workout routine.

Also be at least buzzed or more than that every day.

This is a contradiction. It is also correct.

sincerely,
A bitterly sober and out of shape 3rd year medical student

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
To Do List:

Get a girl, if you don't have one.
Drink and play music loudly.
Binge watch The Leftovers and Peaky Blinders.
Spend that extra cash on collecting boards material: FA, Sketchy, Pathoma, Boards & Beyond.

To Do List:

Get a girl, if you don't have one.
Drink and play music loudly.
Binge watch The Leftovers and Peaky Blinders.
Spend that extra cash on collecting boards material: FA, Sketchy, Pathoma, Boards & Beyond.
Unfortunately I am of the Asian variety that has almost 0 alcohol tolerance and one beer puts me on the floor :( and I have a girl thankfully

Unfortunately I am of the Asian variety that has almost 0 alcohol tolerance and one beer puts me on the floor :( and I have a girl thankfully
Damn bro, but on the other hand that must be pretty convenient - wanna get drunk? ->half a shot. I am of the stout northern european veriety and my ancestors made sure I have to have 3 before I feel a thing.

Also on this thread because I don't know what to do. I've traveled my brains out (almost overstayed my lack of visa in the eu, not welcome back for another 4 months) and have been looking for a job for the last 3 months (87? days)

Damn bro, but on the other hand that must be pretty convenient - wanna get drunk? ->half a shot. I am of the stout northern european veriety and my ancestors made sure I have to have 3 before I feel a thing.

Also on this thread because I don't know what to do. I've traveled my brains out (almost overstayed my lack of visa in the eu, not welcome back for another 4 months) and have been looking for a job for the last 3 months (87? days)
If I didn’t have a job, I would workout all day. OMM OMT ganna have me shirtless :oops: Maybe pick up a hobby. Not too late to learn how to skateboard! Just wear a helmet.

If I didn’t have a job, I would workout all day. OMM OMT ganna have me shirtless :oops: Maybe pick up a hobby. Not too late to learn how to skateboard! Just wear a helmet.
I'm not far off that. I've worked out so much I've put on ~40lbs in the past 3-ish months.

I've had so much time I've taken up every hobby that I've ever thought of. I speak German now, I have grown plants, like, there's not a lot left at this point.