Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been reviewing this forum for some time now and just recently joined. I have seen great advice but was hoping I could get some input on my situation. I am an undergrad Senior with one semester left studying Environmental Engineering. Through personal experiences and while working as an intern at a Civil/Environmental Firm I decided that a future dealing with medicine was what I truly wanted to do. I already completed some of my pre reqs (general chem., Calcs1-3, and physics) I still need my biology with labs as well as organic with lab. I will finish biology 1 with lab this next semester. I calculated my BMSC gpa at 3.5 right now using the scale AAMC uses. My total undergraduate GPA is a 3.47 which is good enough to graduate with honors from UF. I will attend the University in my home town to finish bio, organic and biochem. Because of the classes I have left I can only be a part time student. I can not take them all at once. I was therefore going to devote the rest of my time to volunteering and working part time. In the spring I will take bio 2 and organic 1. Summer I will take organic 2 and biochem. I plan on taking the MCAT late June/ early July ( a year from now) to cover the basics of organic 2 so as to not apply too late like September. I have 480 hours volunteering with the county school systems as a soccer coach and mentor. I did it for fun, never really thought it would come in handy. I am also fluent in spanish since it is my first language and I have heard that helps. So what do u guys think? Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it! I decided to go for medicine at the end of my undergrad studies. You have more pre-reqs than I did, though... which is good. I just picked up the classes I needed in a self-styled post-bac in the nearest university to my hometown. That's really good that you have alot of volunteering racked up already. I had a ton of volunteering stuff that helped out alot on my app too! Make sure to get some good clinical experience. I also worked full-time and got some more clinical experience while I was completing my post-bac and studying for the MCAT.

Word of advice for you applications, apply early-- June or July. September is acutally pretty late. Don't rush things just so you can apply a year earlier. Make it quality-- one more year is not much in grand scheme of things. Better to apply once and get in, then rush, waste ALOT of money and not get in. Oh and save up lots and lots of money from working for application season!

So when would u suggest I take the Mcat so that the school I apply to have everything on file w/in an adequate time frame. I wanted to take it while I was taking organic 2 and biochem since there is material relevant to organic 2 and biochem is helpful. The reason I am predicting Jun/july was to get enough material done to do well. Should I take it before then?

I would recommend that you finish OChem 2 and biochem and then leave yourself enough time to seriously study and prepare solidly to take the MCAT. I would highly, highly recommend taking a prep course, like Kaplan, and then taking the MCAT no later than May to have your scores ready when you submit your application in June/July. It sounds like to do this it would add another year, but honestly I think it would be worth it, instead of rushing it, getting your app in on the late side of things, and possibly not having adequate time to prepare for the MCAT. It would also give you plenty of time to rack up more clinical/volunteer stuff.

Regarding classes, have you checked with the schools you want to apply to about how many biology credits they want (or any other random classes)? Some schools want more than just bio 1 and 2 (with labs) and biochem. I also took physiology and genetics, which also helped on the MCAT, I think. I think some of the schools I applied to required at least 12 credits in bio with at least 2 upper division bio classes. I can't remember for sure, but definately look into which specific classes different schools require before you set your heart on a plan. Every school is different.

Yeah, my plan started like yours and gradually expanded as I found out more things I had to do... but it's worth it in the end, so don't get discouraged with the length of time it will take. Feel free to ask me any questions.