Suggestions to further strengthen app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyInsomniac1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I begin preparations to apply in 2023, I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to become more competitive. I am technically a non-trad as I am 28 yrs old but just recently completed my bachelors in Biochem. My cumulative gpa is a 3.31 and my science gpa is a 3.58. I have about 1000 hours of volunteering at my local church, and about 1500 hours of research. I also have currently about 400 hours of clinical as a scribe but obviously, that should be 1000+ by the time I apply. I have not been able to find in person shadowing, unfortunately. I plan to take the MCAT in August in case I need to re-take it prior to applying next year.
Now to the good stuff. I had been in undergrad for 9 years prior to finishing my degree. I have a total of 8 Fs on my transcripts with 12 Ws. The Fs were all back in 2013-2016 as were most of the Ws (2 of them were from when the pandemic first began and the labs were going to continue being in person but I could not risk staying as I was living with my parents at the time and my mom is high risk). My class standing GPAs are: Freshman - 1.83, Sophomore - 3.18, Junior - 3.74 and Senior - 3.95.
So I guess with all that said, my question is, what else can I do to further strengthen my application so that I have the highest chance to be accepted? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

As I begin preparations to apply in 2023, I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to become more competitive. I am technically a non-trad as I am 28 yrs old but just recently completed my bachelors in Biochem. My cumulative gpa is a 3.31 and my science gpa is a 3.58. I have about 1000 hours of volunteering at my local church, and about 1500 hours of research. I also have currently about 400 hours of clinical as a scribe but obviously, that should be 1000+ by the time I apply. I have not been able to find in person shadowing, unfortunately. I plan to take the MCAT in August in case I need to re-take it prior to applying next year.
Now to the good stuff. I had been in undergrad for 9 years prior to finishing my degree. I have a total of 8 Fs on my transcripts with 12 Ws. The Fs were all back in 2013-2016 as were most of the Ws (2 of them were from when the pandemic first began and the labs were going to continue being in person but I could not risk staying as I was living with my parents at the time and my mom is high risk). My class standing GPAs are: Freshman - 1.83, Sophomore - 3.18, Junior - 3.74 and Senior - 3.95.
So I guess with all that said, my question is, what else can I do to further strengthen my application so that I have the highest chance to be accepted? Thanks for any input.

You're going to probably be most competitive for DO schools, so make sure you shadow a DO before you apply. Some DO schools also want you to have a DO letter of recommendation, and you can ask for that via shadowing.

Your EC hours look great. Can you share more about what you did with your nonclinical/church volunteering?

That's a stellar upward trend, and I think you'll be given leeway on the more recent Ws. You will certainly not be the only applicant with pandemic-era withdrawals. The best way to improve your application from here is to crush the MCAT, so put 100% of your effort into preparing later on this year.

Reactions: 1 user
You're going to probably be most competitive for DO schools, so make sure you shadow a DO before you apply. Some DO schools also want you to have a DO letter of recommendation, and you can ask for that via shadowing.

Your EC hours look great. Can you share more about what you did with your nonclinical/church volunteering?

That's a stellar upward trend, and I think you'll be given leeway on the more recent Ws. You will certainly not be the only applicant with pandemic-era withdrawals. The best way to improve your application from here is to crush the MCAT, so put 100% of your effort into preparing later on this year.
Thank you! I am just afraid of how schools will look at those Fs despite the fact that my gpa is above a 3.0. I am definitely planning to prepare for the MCAT as best I can and have started to figure out a plan to do as best as I can.
My nonclinical was as a coordinator for a young adult group and we would host yearly retreats along with doing fundraisers and organizing other events.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am just afraid of how schools will look at those Fs despite the fact that my gpa is above a 3.0. I am definitely planning to prepare for the MCAT as best I can and have started to figure out a plan to do as best as I can.
My nonclinical was as a coordinator for a young adult group and we would host yearly retreats along with doing fundraisers and organizing other events.

The Fs are what they are. Not much you can do about them now, so try not to let it discourage you. Obviously, if any Fs were in prerequisites, you'll need to retake them if you haven't already.

Have a look around at some of the other posts on this forum - you're not even the first poster this week who is working to overcome a poor freshman year GPA. It's so common. Applicants can and do rebound from their youthful mistakes and get into med school; it happens every year. You've already demonstrated a lot of reinvention, so keep your head up and focused on the future. With a good MCAT, DO and maybe even some MD programs will be within your reach.

Your church volunteering is good, but to be totally honest with you, it might read as more of a leadership activity and a little bit "cushy". You could really boost your application by getting in some service to disadvantaged people in your community - homeless outreach, orgs for adults/kids with disabilities, food banks, Habitat for Humanity, etc. You've got some time before you apply, so even a few hours a week will really add up.

The Fs are what they are. Not much you can do about them now, so try not to let it discourage you. Obviously, if any Fs were in prerequisites, you'll need to retake them if you haven't already.

Have a look around at some of the other posts on this forum - you're not even the first poster this week who is working to overcome a poor freshman year GPA. It's so common. Applicants can and do rebound from their youthful mistakes and get into med school; it happens every year. You've already demonstrated a lot of reinvention, so keep your head up and focused on the future. With a good MCAT, DO and maybe even some MD programs will be within your reach.

Your church volunteering is good, but to be totally honest with you, it might read as more of a leadership activity and a little bit "cushy". You could really boost your application by getting in some service to disadvantaged people in your community - homeless outreach, orgs for adults/kids with disabilities, food banks, Habitat for Humanity, etc. You've got some time before you apply, so even a few hours a week will really add up.
Yes I am definitely looking for more volunteering opportunities at the moment. I really appreciate your input, thank you very much!