Suggestions???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRAD1S

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

I’ve posted on here a couple of times but haven’t actually introduced myself. A little backstory…

I’m turning 25 in a couple months and finished my undergraduate degree in Finance this past December. I’ve worked F/T over my entire academic career and am presently working as a budget analyst. The pay is good but it’s not fulfilling by any stretch of the imagination. My wife will be finishing up her bachelor’s next year and my son is hitting his ‘terrible’ two tomorrow. I’ve given this an ample amount of thought since finishing my degree in December and am seriously entertaining the notion of returning to school to complete the pre-reqs necessary to sit for the MCAT. My wife is fully supportive of my decision to return to school and, eventually, pursue medical school if that is what I choose to do. Here’s the dilemma…

I am truly passionate about this and will do whatever is necessary to make it happen. I’m starting to volunteer at the hospital, have LORs lined up, and am enrolled in BIO and CHEM courses for the fall. (I have to do them at a CC for now which is far from ideal but my only option this semester.) I’m confident I can knock out A’s in my science courses. My problem is my C-GPA. It wound up being 3.04 due to, predominately, theological and biblical courses that I just didn’t show up for in my Freshman year of college. My Finance GPA was 3.50 which is still nothing stellar by any stretch. I’ve worked out the numbers and it looks like if I get all A’s in my classes I should be able to bring up my GPA to a 3.2, possibly 3.3. My question is not unlike many others I’ve read on this board…

Is this even a possibility or am I wasting my time? At this point, I’m looking for any assistance anyone is willing to give and am willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

meet with some of the admissions directors of the schools you think you have the best chance of acceptance - state schools and do schools around the area etc. tell them your story and see what they say.

Greetings all!

I’ve posted on here a couple of times but haven’t actually introduced myself. A little backstory…

I’m turning 25 in a couple months and finished my undergraduate degree in Finance this past December. I’ve worked F/T over my entire academic career and am presently working as a budget analyst. The pay is good but it’s not fulfilling by any stretch of the imagination. My wife will be finishing up her bachelor’s next year and my son is hitting his ‘terrible’ two tomorrow. I’ve given this an ample amount of thought since finishing my degree in December and am seriously entertaining the notion of returning to school to complete the pre-reqs necessary to sit for the MCAT. My wife is fully supportive of my decision to return to school and, eventually, pursue medical school if that is what I choose to do. Here’s the dilemma…

I am truly passionate about this and will do whatever is necessary to make it happen. I’m starting to volunteer at the hospital, have LORs lined up, and am enrolled in BIO and CHEM courses for the fall. (I have to do them at a CC for now which is far from ideal but my only option this semester.) I’m confident I can knock out A’s in my science courses. My problem is my C-GPA. It wound up being 3.04 due to, predominately, theological and biblical courses that I just didn’t show up for in my Freshman year of college. My Finance GPA was 3.50 which is still nothing stellar by any stretch. I’ve worked out the numbers and it looks like if I get all A’s in my classes I should be able to bring up my GPA to a 3.2, possibly 3.3. My question is not unlike many others I’ve read on this board…

Is this even a possibility or am I wasting my time? At this point, I’m looking for any assistance anyone is willing to give and am willing to do whatever it takes to succeed. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks Everyone!

Short answer, yes it is possible.

Long answer is it depends on you. You might have to spend a few more years getting A's to bump your GPA higher, completely destroy the MCAT, attend a SMP, etc. to succeed. Your best bet is to make the other areas of your application as impressive as possible. Get as close to a 4.0 GPA in science as you can. Study as much as you need to get a mid-30's + on the MCAT. Have impressive EC's and if you have the time, research experience by the time you apply.

If you want it badly enough you will be able to do this. People have gained admission with lower GPA's than that, and you have the opportunity to boost yours. You are not in an ideal starting situation, but if you aren't picky about where you go and are willing to give all the courses 100%, you should be able to get in somewhere, even if it takes a few tries and an SMP. Good luck!