Suit - 2-button or 3-button?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am thinking about buying a suit in advanced for interviews possibly a year from now. Would 3-button be too assertive and business meeting like? Would 2 button be too traditional? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

During my numerous interviews thus far, I have wore a two button suite. However, some of the more "fashionable" people I interviewed with wore well-fitted v-neck t-shirts with brown kackis. I must say that they looked better than me. If I interview next year (I'm not accepted yet), I might change my attire. I would rather look trend than out of date.

See the skinny ties thread. Really something that is just professional and comfortable. Basically whatever you look best in. I can't wear three buttons because I am under 6ft but did have my two button suit tailored to my body which helped tremendously.

Members don't see this ad :)
During my numerous interviews thus far, I have wore a two button suite. However, some of the more "fashionable" people I interviewed with wore well-fitted v-neck t-shirts with brown kackis. I must say that they looked better than me. If I interview next year (I'm not accepted yet), I might change my attire. I would rather look trend than out of date.

:thumbup:

from a fashion stand point. If you are tall, 3 button is good for your height. If you're short, 2 button, that way you don't looked stumped and get more of your tie/shirt to show. (i'm short, and rock more 2 button. I have some 3 to mix it up, but whatevs) I agree w/ the above posts, be comfortable in what you're wearing and how you look!:thumbup:

2 button, go with conservative look, who knows maybe in a few years that 3 button will go out of style while that 2 button will still look fly

yup like others have said. whatever's more comfortable & confident-boosting for you!
i'm a girl so it might be a little different but i can't even remember how many buttons my suit had so i dont think it matters too much.. :oops: