Summer after D1: What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHA DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am in D1 and wanted to know what kinds of things other first years were planning to do this summer-research, vacation, Part I...

Upper classmen, feel free to share too.

Members don't see this ad.

Im up in the air about this one....I am definitely travelling but I dont know in what capacity.

One part of me wants to just go backpacking around Asia for the entire summer and have fun. Another part of me wants to do a mix of doing some sort of volunteer dental related work overseas and then go backpacking for the rest of the time.

Also, Temple is trying to setup an international externship for me to Japan or India, but I dont know if that is gonna go through, and I wouldnt get paid so it would totally be out of pocket.

Im just going through my options at the moment, but one thing is for sure is that Ill have my backpack on and will be living in a hostel somewhere in the world!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
EHA DDS said:
Hey y'all,

I am in D1 and wanted to know what kinds of things other first years were planning to do this summer-research, vacation, Part I...

Upper classmen, feel free to share too.
Chill the heck out.

You can do it with worthwhile activities like the other posters, but take the time to relax & recharge. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but you'll need it for second year.

aphistis said:
Chill the heck out.

You can do it with worthwhile activities like the other posters, but take the time to relax & recharge. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but you'll need it for second year.

Dude, there is nothing like chilling out on a tropical beach or the mountains of Cambodia!!!

Working for little extra money, 1 week of family vacation to California, and studying for my Dec Part 1.

Anyone doing research?

I took Part I after my first year, so I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have that to study for.

This summer I'll be spending some time rotating for emergency cases in the clinic I suppose.

Dr. Badvibes: Temple is for losers, actually.

Gavin: How did you study for pathology and micro if that is taught in second year, or did your school prepare to write it after first year?

I like the idea of externships! Do schools help you find externships? I wanted to go to Europe again this summer before starting D1, but didn't get into my study abroad program, and can't otherwise afford the trip. Good to know I might be able to get it in next summer...

Just bought my ticket to europe for 2 and a half weeks :D , then probably doing research the rest of the summer.

arns51 said:
Just bought my ticket to europe for 2 and a half weeks :D , then probably doing research the rest of the summer.

WHereabouts in Europe?? been before?

I wish we got the summer off. I'll be taking some more path and the boards...sucks...