summer after first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bermiedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone preview for second year or review first year material in a non stressful manner? did it help? i know that this is the last summer ever, etc. but i am thinking about previewing second year material to relieve stress next year. you know if you've seen the material before it's not as stressful. is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have already had first year material, yes it's a splendid idea!

thanks! i have the second year books in the more difficult courses and in immunology i know they zip through the entire book. so i mght at least try to get familiar with the subject matter. i am a little unmotivated now though. hopefully i will get motivated soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
<insert SDN voice of DOOM>: yes, you should not only review 2nd year material for a minimum of 2 hours a day, but also get a prestigious research fellowship at NIH with an extremely famous scientist, or if that doesn't work, do overseas volunteer work in Africa and bring your books with you. B/c if you don't do all of these things and get AOA and exhibit exquisitely perfect interpersonal skills like certain SDNers (and their male children who will undoubtely be perfect angels of doctors), you will NEVER, ever get a residency anywhere. :smuggrin:
sorry, just venting a bit; I get really tired of the gloom and doom and people on their high horses around here. Seriously, I think doing just a little reading in whatever areas you feel weak in every day, and taking care of practical things such as housing, roommates, etc. if you need to so you won't have to deal with them in 2nd year, will serve you well.

Bermiedoc said:
did anyone preview for second year or review first year material in a non stressful manner? did it help? i know that this is the last summer ever, etc. but i am thinking about previewing second year material to relieve stress next year. you know if you've seen the material before it's not as stressful. is this a good idea?

I think Albert Einstein said it best, "Work hard, play hard." It's time to play people!!!

please take a break and have some fun that may do more for you than reading immuno unless you're reading it for pure enjoyment :p

i'm almost done w/ ms I also. i was wondering if you guys felt that looking through a review book (e.g. brs path) would be helpful in previewing next years info. i never really used them this year so i'm not sure if they make sense by themselves or if they are only intended as a supplement for class and textbooks.

i'm doin both...few weeks of vacation...then few wks of preceptorship and research...then few wks off again before my second year hell...

well...thinking about looking over 1st yr stuff again...then move on to 2nd yr material little bit...

but only during my preceptorship wks...i need a break...we still got 3yrs of school then 5+ yrs of residency