Summer after M1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beirut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am an M1 now and starting to look for things to do this summer. Our school doesnt do a great job at letting us know of opportunities, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows a good online resource, or has stories of cool stuff they have done after M1 year. I am pretty open

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Army officer basic leadership course because I'm not an America-hating terrorist.

The decision is yours.

trade%20center%20eagel.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!
I am an M1 now and starting to look for things to do this summer. Our school doesnt do a great job at letting us know of opportunities, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows a good online resource, or has stories of cool stuff they have done after M1 year. I am pretty open

Thanks!

I was impressed with how many opportunies their are, even at schools that aren't traditionally research heavy. If you plan well, and work hard (read 8-5, M-F) you can actually get quite a bit done. I did research and took a couple weeks off at the end and had an amazing summer. I'd highly recommend getting into a situation where you can work on research in a relaxed way so that you can get to know people in the department and figure out the process. That way, when you go back to do more later in medical school you won't have such a steep learning curve.

Just my 2 cents/

Try the various research programs (HSS, MSKCC, AHA, other acronyms).

As a MS1 with around eight weeks to spare, you're not really expected to get much done, though it's certainly possible to be productive (as stated above).

I personally put way too much work into my project for all the negative data it yielded, but I had a good, albeit stressful, summer.

Also, bear in mind that sitting on your ass is a perfectly viable option.